[Tech] How to Program Drums

Discussion in 'The Sevenstring.org Workbench' started by Ryan, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Venomguitar

Venomguitar ┬┐Still Thinkin?

wow, even i understand it...

2. Alpo

Alpo ... Contributor

He is using EZDrummer with the DFH expansion. And it's not a cheaper version of DFH, it's a completely different program. It's designed to be easy. :)

3. irg7620

irg7620 zombie

ah, gotcha. makes sense now. thanks.:yesway:

4. h4x5k8

h4x5k8 LooP

To answer your question irg7620, yes all this can be applied to DFHS as well.

5. Demonium

Demonium SS.org Regular

Great tutorial there, but whenever i try to export my midi track it always says that there's an error and wont work. Does anyone know how to fix this?

6. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

You need to be a tad more specific than "an error". What does it say?

Make sure you're dragging the selector from left to right when selecting what to export, like in this:

[​IMG]

If you're already doing that, give us something to go on.

7. TheReal7

TheReal7 Mr. Melody Contributor

Just found this. Although I don't use Cubase or EZdrummer. Nice to see someone take the time to make a tutorial. Great job!

8. Demonium

Demonium SS.org Regular

I've done everything that it says, and in the export window i've done:

Type: Wave file
    Coding: PCM/uncompressed waves
    Attributes:-
    Channels: Stereo split (i've tried changing this but no difference)
    Resolution: 16bit
    Sample rate: 44.100 kHz
    Outputs: EZ1 (Stereo)
    Import to: Pool

I've tried almost everything, but when i save it says "An error occurred during the export"

I'm using Cubase SX 3 and EZDrummer

9. Nik

Nik Arrogant asshole

Quick question: How am I supposed to turn up the crash cymbal and turn down the ride cymbal?

Both are controlled by the Mixer track 'Overhead' and I need to do this somehow, because my ride cymbal is always waaay too loud and the crash cymbal is waaaay too quiet.

Excellent tutorial, by the way :yesway:

10. Ryan

Ryan SS.org Regular

Try adjusting your velocities on the beat map. :D

11. Nik

Nik Arrogant asshole

[n00b]Could you please explain to me exactly what velocities are? People are always saying you should adjust them for different sorts of reasons. Is it directly related to volume? Or timing? [/n00b]

12. h4x5k8

h4x5k8 LooP

@Nik (& everyone who wants to know a lot about velocities)

To answer your question simply, velocities are directly related to volume, for nice explanation look below.

Velocity is part of the midi protocol, no matter what instrument you use (drums, synths, etc.) velocity settings for each note will always be included in the information of a midi file. Velocity is how hard you hit the note being played, 1 being the softest, and 127 being the hardest. For instance a snare hit in DFH at a velocity of 1 would be like dropping a leaf on the snare, while 127 would be hitting it very hard with a drumstick.

The term 'Dynamics' is used a lot in the drum world, a player with very good dynamics/dynamic-range sounds much better and gets more emotion across in his playing. Hitting drums at different velocities on drum machines (see example below) gives the sound of a player with good dynamics in his playing, thus making a drum machine sound more human.

As far as song composition goes there is also the 'Dynamic Range' throughout the song. During loud/intense parts of the song you would want the velocities higher maybe in the 80-110 range, and during the softer parts 30-70, utilize the whole range for some kind of build up. I think you get the point, don't use what I say as exact reference, I'm just trying to paint a picture so you can at least understand the context in which velocity is supposed to be used. One thing to do to make the drum track sound more human is to make a small variance in velocity for each beat within the dynamic range of your verse/riff, Ex. 89-91-89-86-87-86-88 etc. This gives the sound of a player with persistent velocity, but not so persistent it sounds like a machine.

In Cubase and Nuendo velocity can be controlled many different ways. First you can input the beats yourself with a midi controller, so the harder you hit it the higher the velocity and vice versa. Second, If your inputting the beats in through the beat map with the draw tool theres a section below the beat map area that has a vertical bar for each note played, set the config to adjust for velocity (this should be default), and adjust the height of the bar accordingly (see pic). Third you can select the individual note and edit it in the object selection config above your ruler.

Hope this helps, feel free to give me input if I am wrong about anything. (Its hard doing writing these when you don't have cubase in front of you, I kinda have to guess/make up names for certain things that already have an 'official name' that I don't know.)

Attached Files:

Chris and Nik like this.
  13. Demonium

Demonium SS.org Regular

BUMP

Anyone know what's going on here?

14. tenorbass

tenorbass SS.org Regular

I am trying to use DKFH 2 and Nuendo 3. When I press F 11 to add the VST drums my BKFH isn't their? Why isn't this working?

15. Chris

Make sure you slide the slider from left to right across the top bar to select the part of the song to export. It'll turn the top bar blue.

[​IMG]

16. Chris

At a guess, F11 isn't the VST key in Nuendo. This tutorial is for Cubase. You need to look in the Nuendo menu and find the command/hotkey to bring up VST instruments.

17. tenorbass

tenorbass SS.org Regular

Yea its still F 11 in nuendo. The thing that made me excited about the program was recording guitar in the program over the drums. Will DKFH work with Cubase? Can I do guitar and drums in Cubase?

18. Chris

I'm not sure. I make my drums in Cubase and export them into Sonar. Someone else can probably answer ya.

19. Demonium

Demonium SS.org Regular

Ah, i got it now. For some reason the drag bar was red the whole time.

20. Alpo

Alpo ... Contributor

There is probably a feature in Nuendo that let's you search for new VST instruments. The problem might be that Nuendo doesn't know that DFH is installed. Just a guess, I don't use Cubase or Nuendo. :shrug: