[Tech] Building a MIDI controlled live rig

Discussion in 'The Sevenstring.org Workbench' started by noodles, Jan 26, 2008.

1. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

If you get something like the Advance Tube Technology LS42 you can control multiple pedals from one unit, these can be programmed as a patch so 1 on your pedal board could be all off 2 could be reverb on 3 could be boost, reverb etc. What I like about the Advance units is they supply phantom power and can be chained and the optional RP2 faceplate allows 2 to be mounted neatly in 1 rack space, so using combinations of the LS42 and the Advance Tube Technology S720 you can switch as many Devices including amp channels as you own from one control.

2. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

My ALEX-1s just arrived today! I'm gonna have to pick up some more cables!

Axxess won't have any CFX-4s available any time soon, so i'm going to have to look at other switching options. Voodoo Labs has announced a control switcher, but it's not out yet.

3. Fionn

Fionn SS.org Regular

check out G Labs they have some ideal switching solutions, shame tho i think there are all pedals

4. El Caco

El Caco Djavli te ponesli Contributor

My new Advance s720

[​IMG]

5. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

For my contribution to this topic I will add these pic's of my old rig of monstrous complexity, weight and expense...

Yes, it was nice to have as much control, lights and knobs as Starfleet ("Shred factor 9, Mr. Worf"), but the practical issues made it more than I needed to suffer.

To acquire all the gear pictured, I scoured eBay for months, but eventually common sense prevailed and I sold it as a complete system, more or less, for a small profit.

The tone was good, the flexibility was good, most importantly my ego was suitably massaged and I learned a lot about quality guitar sounds which I could apply to other equipment once I knew what I expected from the my experience with "Gear of the God's".

I think the key to all this stuff is: What will make my performances mind blowing, yet not make my life more difficult than it needs to be.

I'll post what I bought next to replace it in my next post... Any questions, I'll be pleased to answer.

Attached Files:

6. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

Couldn't find a picture right now, but I replaced the monster multiple Preamp/FX/Poweramp rack with a "Live In" Head Case with 4u rack built in, which held a MESA/Boogie Dual Rectifier 3 channel, Gmajor, BBE sonic maximiser and a Furman power supply, with a Axess CSX4 and Behringer FCB1010 footswitch. The total weight of that setup was over 30kg and was made practical by the simple fact that the singer was a body builder and considered moving it for me an entertaining challenge. I sold that lot, too.

What I have now is another 3 channel Recto and a seperate 4u rack, with a GCX Audio switcher and what have you for effects, as all I like to add is a touch of reverb and delay, but switch the FX and channels simultaneously.

There has been a lot of user contribution to my favourite gear, the G Major and the FCB1010 now have editing software available online called G Lydian and the name of the FCB 1010 editor has slipped my memory for now. Editing via midi is much easier, as all FCB1010 presets are incredibly similar, just with different Programme Change numbers.

At the moment G*A*S* is calling me towards the new Line 6 M13, which is a stomp box collection and MIDI footswitch controller in one unit, for around £350, which is about the same cost as a GMajor and FCB1010. I enjoy using Line 6 models of pedals, as you know what to expect quickly, rather than abstract programming in the GMajor. what do you think?

7. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

I'd take the G-Major over any Line 6 product any day of the week :lol: This isn't really the place for discussion like this, but on top of me just like TC more than Line 6, another thing that I prefer a MIDI rig for is the simplicity of hooking it up. Plug into your amp, run a MIDI cable, and you're good to go. With the M13 you're going to need to run a signal cable to your pedal board from your effects loop, then one back to it, and then run a MIDI cable. I'm also assuming it's not phantom powered, so you're going to need to find a plug in, where as you can phantom power a lot of MIDI controllers. With your signal going down 20 extra feet of cable (a conservative estimate, 10 to the pedal board, 10 back) your signal is also going to degrade a bit.

I did find programming the G-Major confusing as hell at first, but when I figured it out, the quality of effects and the lack of tone suck made it an instant win in my books.

8. halsinden

halsinden it's a british thing

guys, this is an enormously helpful thread, thank you for it.

rather than starting my own one, i've done a search for the subjects i'm covering and figured it'd be better to tack it onto this one. please forgive the length of it, i'm a little confuzzled over various parts of it.

my current setup is this:

guitar > NS-2 > bad monkey > behringer rack tuner > 6505+ head

G major in the FX loop

nobels MS-4 + custom MIDI splitter device controlling the 6505+ channel switching via MIDI:

[​IMG]

with channel switching + FX controlled by an FCB1010

all into s x peavey JSX cabs

my next step at the moment is to procure a nobels ALEX-1 so i can put the NS-2 + bad monkey in an analog loop controlled by the G-major, the main aim being to have only the FCB1010 up with me by the mic stand.

HOWEVER...

i've been thinking about an idea and would like to see if i can do something a little odd. i want to run my rig so that i can toggle between the 6505+ head for the rhythm & lead tone and a peavey classic 50w head for the cleans, but with both heads using the same FX rig, and with still only the FCB by my feet?

so...

guitar
    |
    A/B MIDI switch
    |
    6505+
    |
    OR
    |
    classic 50w head
    |
    FX rig (G-major also controlling ISP decimator + maxon OD808 + maybe a better tuner somewhere?)
    (confusion: do you need FX to be in a head's FX loop?)
    |
    (some kind of switch / path to allow whichever of the two head channels into the cabs as one signal)
    |
    2 x JSX cabs

is this possible? what would be needed? i'd seen the radial headbone as a switcher but noted that it doesn't seem to be MIDI switchable. the other option i had considered was to approach WOBO about something custom maybe?

what i need to work out is what sort of pitfalls might i be facing?

H

9. darren

Interesting! I didn't know Nobels made a MIDI switcher as well. I have a couple of ALEX-1s and they're great little boxes.

10. halsinden

halsinden it's a british thing

indeed they do, yes. admittedly i had to search far and bloody wide for it, but i got one in the end. the only bugger was that the peavey channel switcher cables are 7 pin, which meant james (7DT) made me the custom black box to convert to 5 pin.

H

11. darren

Yeah, i had to make a custom cable to hook the relays in my G-System into my Mesa F-30.