[Tech] Building a MIDI controlled live rig

Discussion in 'The Sevenstring.org Workbench' started by noodles, Jan 26, 2008.

1. stuh84

stuh84 The Viking himself Contributor

Yeah, looked into the MidiMate, and it seems cool, but I think the All Access is what I'll go for, the manual put lots of ideas in my head so must be a good sign :)

2. Oogadee Boogadee

Oogadee Boogadee ss.orggy biscuit Forum MVP

this has to be one of the coolest informative posts I've seen in a loooong time.

stuh84 likes this.
  3. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Not had any issues, and my gear isn't babied. Sturdy and made of metal, and at the price I can't argue with it at all, had it for 4/5 years and it's been fine!

Anyway, very good post about all things midi, although I'd add to this:

- If you're dealing with loads of cabling, or like me, need to split up the rack into several parts (like pre and power amp) for weight considerations then:

Have a "master" module in your rack, all cables attached to this, and cable tied if they leave the rack in bundles, ie, I have:

- a midi + power lead bundle leading out to the behringer FCB1010 to power it
    - stereo out to the power amp
    - power to the power amp
    - Any switching signals to the power amp (I had a grouping of 3 leads when i had the 2:90)

And if you can, colour code! Nothing is worse than trying to figure out what goes where in a rack when it isn't working!

4. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

^ James speaks the truth. I really need to take pics of mine (that was the inspiration for Dave's) sometime soon and post them here. I have everything color-coded, and I built an interface box for my pedalboard so everything plugs up in one place. Works great.

5. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

Aye. Racks can be absolutely close-to-tears material if they go wrong at gigs. Nothing is more embarressing than having your blinky light racvk of doom not work (gets you laughed at).

Hence a few other tricks:
    1) The rear rack rails are your friends. Cable ties will attach cabling that goes out, and prevent most accidental pulling cables out of their sockets

2) Really make sure the wiring inside is idiot proof and secure. Cable tie, cable tie, and then cable tie some more

3) Keep units in racks that belong together. If you're rack is in two parts, then you want:
    - TWO signal cables at most (one for left, one for right) going from one to the other
    - ONE power lead if you can help it.

4) Keep cables attached to the master module of the rack via cable ties.

5) If you can get your rack up and running in less than 5 minutes (plug, plug, connect to cab, connect guitar and done) and pack down in 5 minutes then you have a good rack design.

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'm a total rig purist, but I gotta say, this just looks FUN. :lol:

7. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

That's awesome. Now I just need to get a MIDI controller.

8. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

It is! It's like lego!

9. noodles

noodles Contributor

Zip ties, a central boxes in the rack and on the floor, and more cable ties are next. My rig looked a lot nicer before I tore it all apart for this article. :lol:

I don't have rear rails in my rack, so I'll have to figure out another method. Then again, since I'm looking to replace the wireless get a rackmount Bloody Murder, that rack shelf is going to disappear very soon.

10. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

I've got a rackmount BM coming, I'm hoping it'll fill half the shelf with the amp gizmo (i broke down and got one, as I was having a horrid time getting my soldering skills to produce a footswitch cable for the vht) so I want them to live on the same shelf. I want to go wireless, but man, that's more money I don't have right now :lol:

11. Universe74

Universe74 SS.org Regular

This post rules. This is exactly what I am working on right now.

12. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

Very informative and gas inducing dave. :yesway:

13. chimpinatux

chimpinatux SS.org Regular

Im finding this useful, but just to get things straight, would you need one loop swticher such as the Alex-1 for every stompbox you are planning to put in the rack?

14. stuh84

You can do that, or you can use other switchers, like the Axess GRX4 which has 4 loops, or the Voodoo Labs GCX Audio Switcher, the Rocktron Patchmate, or the RJM RG16 (I own of these and highly recommend it).

Problem with the Alex1 method is you would need to have relays for every one of them, and given the G Major only has two, you would fast run out of them.

15. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

I just picked up a pair of ALEX-1s. I'll probably get the Voodoo Labs Control Switcher when it comes out, and i'll use an ALEX-1 to switch my GT-6 in and out of the circuit, and a second one on my TS7, assuming they both fit in my pedalboard. :)

Then again, i've been starting to GAS for a G-System, which would replace all of that. :)

16. Meldville

Meldville SATANOGRAPHER

Hrm. This has really got me thinking. MIDI control of my stuff would make my stage setup cleaner and give me less tapdancing. I have absolutely no idea if it's feasible with my setup, though. :(

I have a tuner and ds1 (as boost) on the board. Guitar runs into that, and then out to the ISP Pro Rack G. That goes into my Engl, then out of that back into the ISP. Then to my pedalboard AGAIN, where I have my Boss HR1, GE7, and DD3 (the last two are used for all leads, and the HR is used on some), and then BACK into the return on my amp. So many fucking cables running to and fro. Would I be able to simplify my setup with a controller setup like this? I don't need to be able to change channels/settings on my amp, just have a controller that allows me to have two presets for leads, one with and one without the harmonizer.

Eh?

17. stuh84

Yeah definitely, if you used something like what I mentioned in my last post, the Boss pedals you'd be able to keep them all rackmounted, and switch them in and out at will, thats the beauty of this kind of setup.

I'm thinking of doing a post similar to this, but on a way more....I guess indepth approach, given my rig has two rack mounted multi effects, 5 pedals, a MIDI pedal switcher and a few extra niceties. Would anyone appreciate this?

18. ajdehoogh

ajdehoogh blarg Contributor

Hell yeah Stuart. More examples on how to things=more ideas on how to do my rig. :D

19. Zepp88

Zepp88 Arktanian Diplomat Contributor

Do it man :)

There are way too little in depth tutorials on this sort of thing, especially in a more complex application.

20. stuh84

Right, I'll get some pics next time I'm up at the rehearsal room, and make a start on this, should be quite fun :)