Tear apart my mix (Drop F|Heavy|lolbreakdownz)

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Luppin, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Luppin

Luppin New Member

Hey guys, I'm a long-time lurker and I've posted a mix test once before with an unfortunately underwhelming amount of replies, hopefully this'll be different.

Recorded all of this on my Focusrite Scarlett interface and I'd be ecstatic if you could tear my mix to pieces and tell me absolutely everything you hate about it. I'm not a drummer so all the drum programming is pretty basic and I do realize that the material itself is less than ground-breaking in terms of musicianship but still feel free to comment in any way you see fit.

REX - Track_One_Test | Dropbox.com

Facebook link for all those interested
    REX | Facebook

2. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

Well... I came here for the "lulzBreakdownz" and I definitely say I got my moneys worth. :2c: + :rofl: + :hbang: = :yesway:

Recording wise it sounds fine for what it is; anarchic dystopian cacophony with extra helpings of super spicy Br0otz sauce. :metal:

A more structured and refined sound is what I'm used to but I'm sure some people will enjoy it.

Best of luck! :wavey:

Luppin likes this.
  3. asilayamazing

asilayamazing SS.org Regular

this is what i keep getting to... :shrug: i post in almost everyones and say something but then i cant get any comments on mine ha!:nono:

anyways sounds good to me. snare pops out kinda loud IMO(just a hair) and the cymbals aboout the same... otherwise pretty brootz bro. you do the vocals?

You got a bass in there? i think i hear one. :lol:

and a "i hate it" is better than nothing:rofl:

Luppin likes this.
  4. Luppin

Luppin New Member

Yeah I've been trying to find a nice balance with the snare and cymbals, can see what you mean about turning them down a bit and nah I've got a friend laying down vocals, I was originally gonna try to do it myself but after hearing his lows... :agreed:

As far as bass, I don't own one and it's a little hard to locate friends with basses capable of producing notes that low that aren't just rattling strings ahah so I'm currently using this vst called GhettoBASS to pitchshift a guitar and as you can imagine the results are a little less than ideal so all that track really does is thicken up the guitars a bit.

I definitely appreciate the input, even if it's not your genre of choice :yesway::yesway:

5. square stomp

square stomp stomp the square

I like generic metal as long as it's done well. Good job! :yesway:
    Love the stutter at the start. Sounds like you've done some heavy compression but haven't set the release correctly. Makes the guitars go "whump whump whump", especially in the lolbreakdownz. :2c:

6. asilayamazing

anything heavy is my genre of choice :yesway:
    good job bro!

EDIT: if its called djent tho, then idk i kinda have a bias thats its gonna be some weird shit, its usually okay enough tho.

7. schecter4life

schecter4life Banned

im kinda standoffish with the word djent ala my signature xD
    Djent used to refer to the sound a certain tone made with a certain style of palm muting, not so much anymore xD
    a lot of times all i hear in new djent is "FLUB FLUB FLUB WOMP WOMP WOMP djent FLUUUUUUUUB" not "djent djent djent djent djent flub womp" xD

8. Jolo5150

Jolo5150 New Member

great song i like it!

Luppin likes this.
  9. iRaiseTheDead

iRaiseTheDead Ashes Of Rebirth

this gave me chills dude. wow

Luppin likes this.
  10. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master

You need to put the right keywords in your title:

-Djent
    -Bulb
    -Name drop some guitar/gear brand the entire forum is currently GASing over
    -Brutal
    -Etc...

After listening... This shit is actually kind of cool tonally in my opinion. I thought it sounded weird in the beginning like it had been recorded through a telephone but I see that was an intentional effect. Sounds like the rhythm guitars are a hair too loud. The lead gets drowned out a little. At least that's what it sounds like through my earbuds... Not exactly the best thing to be listening with perhaps. :shrug:

Luppin likes this.
  11. leandroab

leandroab Stay Negativeā„¢

As it sounds right now, I could happily say it's awesome!

Luppin likes this.
  12. rstare

rstare New Member

This is pretty awesome!
    I think the snare volume is fine. The cymbals could come down a little bit, though.

Luppin likes this.
  13. TankJon666

TankJon666 SS.org Regular

I was proper zoned out and then KABOOM!!! Vocals came in and kinda ruined it for me. Not that the vocals are bad. Actually awesome. But I prefered the track uptil the vocals came in.

Anyway. Mix sounds good. I like the guitar tone. I think the overall mix could do with a touch more bottom end though but that could be the lack of a real bass.

Luppin likes this.
  14. asilayamazing

ya pretty much i got more comments for "raw death metal content" then i did with "new bass guitar metal test(sd2.0/C#/TMF/sm58)"
    honestly id click on the latter knowing it was a full mix, but i get more comments for "raw..." with just a guitar :lol: go figure....

15. jacksonslut

jacksonslut dennaB

I like it. Reminds me a lot of Demolisher. Good job. I can't judge the recording due to the $2 speakers I'm using :lol:

Luppin likes this.
  16. Luppin

Luppin New Member

Thank you guys all so much for actually checking this out, and I've gotten 3 more likes on my facebook page which is never a bad thing ahah.

List of changes:

-I messed with the "bass" EQ a bit and raised it in the mix to try and address the suggestion about a lack of low end as well as shortened the release on a compressor I had on the "bass" and bass drop tracks to thicken the kick up a bit during bass heavier parts that I think was making that "whump" sound

-Lowered the cymbals a bit and tweaked the volume of the room mics a hair

-I wasn't exactly sure what TankJon666 meant by
    but I lowered the vocals just a hair because they did seem a little loud, but if you could go into greater detail about what you didn't like about the vocals that'd be awesome

Also in regards to the leads not standing out enough, I've been fooling around with the volume on them, I think they achieve the desired effect but like your earbud situation I'm mixing on these ~15 year old $80 2.1 speakers so it's likely that neither one of us is getting the best representation of the sound ahah :X

Updated mix:

REX - Track_One_Test_2 | Dropbox.com

Again I appreciate all the input and feel free to be as critical as you want, any criticism is good criticism :yesway:

17. asilayamazing

:eek:DAMN sick bro!

i wish i could get a kick like that! \_(o_0)_/

and i think he meant the transition to the vocals is pretty abrupt.
    its like breakdownlulz:wallbash: vocals in ur face:eek:

18. Luppin

Luppin New Member

ha yeah I'm definitely more than satisfied with how I'm making everything sound for right now, considering my pretty basic setup. The one major gripe I have is that since we don't have a drummer the programming is less than stellar, just wish I could find someone make them sound more interesting