T.V. shows you've been watching

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by pushpull7, Mar 15, 2015.

1. stuglue

stuglue SS.org Regular

has anyone watched the Expanse? is it worth the time?

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I'm in a tailspin now that I finished Gilmore Girls. I'm watching the rather questionable Netflix reunion that's only 4 episodes, and I tried watching the first episode of Parenthood, but the schmaltz factor and the fact it stars NATE from Six Feet Under, one of my most hated characters of all time, might overcome my love for Lauren Graham. I'm no fan of Ann (WHO?), who plays her daughter, either. And it's got way too many beautiful people and slow motion pans of all of them doing FAMILY THINGS and ugh.

It's basically revealed to me for the first time that Gilmore Girls really isn't as schmaltzy and manipulative as you'd think. My brain was so in the mode of it that I couldn't look at it from an outside perspective.

Westworld time, I guess!

Oh, and I've been watching Joel Mchale's netflix show since it started. It makes me laugh my ass off, except when he does a skit with some celebrity every episode, which is almost never funny. I love the windows into reality TV, since I never see any of it, and the clips are always hilarious. I hope this gets renewed. It's one of the brightest spots of my week, which may be sad!!

The906 likes this.
  3. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Yes, do tell.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder

Santa Clarita Diet is hilarious. Season 2 is even more insane. They get called out about mispronouncing realtor by some rivals in season 2.

zappatton2 likes this.
  5. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

After my friend pestered me to watch Cobra Kai, I did so in one binge sitting.

Loved it. More than just a Karate Kid nostalgia trip but gives both Johnny and Daniel far more depth and complexity as characters from the original but also gets a great cast of multi dimensional charaters. Great balance of nostalgia humor and cultural significance.

Highly recommended.

6. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

I really tried to give Santa Clarita Diet a chance. I painfully watched 2 episodes and couldn't force myself through more. Drew Barrymore really killed it. Maybe it's just me but I find her to be a horrible actress. I get the show is supposed to be funny and I will admit I did find the puking bathroom scene pretty hilarious. That could be due to the fact she didn't have to do anything but gerber everywhere for an extended period of time. Other than that, I couldn't handle cringing through her bland, cardboard box acting.

7. KnightBrolaire

I'm really enjoying it. I like the throwbacks to the original film and the writing is solid. fight scenes are also pretty solid imo.

8. wankerness

I haven't been impressed by her acting since ET, but I think she's good at being blandly sweet in the right roles (ex, The Wedding Singer, or Ever After). She's horrendous in other types of roles I've seen her in, like she almost singlehandedly kills Donnie Darko despite being onscreen for 5 minutes tops. Or Poison Ivy, but I don't think ANYONE could have saved that one. What's she supposed to be like in this?

9. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Tried.. Maybe it's because I was distracted, and I won't go so far as to call it objectively 'bad', but I watched the fist two episodes and they failed to gain - much less keep - my attention.

So, I'm not suggesting your criticisms are invalid, but I watched the whole series a couple years ago and thought it was mostly great. For the kind of show it is, I thought it was one of the better ones I'd ever seen -- until This Is Us came along and blew it right out of orbit, anyway.

10. wankerness

Are episodes past the first one loaded with stupid sappy slow-motion montages of like, the family all getting together to go support the little kid at his baseball game, and that kind of garbage? I'm open to the possibility that's pilot-specific, since I know that pilots often do try to be showy so everyone knows their great dramatic range, or whatever. Part of the reason I was interested is that I love the movie of the same name, and I THINK the show is very loosely based on it.

I did like Lauren Graham's date gone wrong/right, but again, I think I would like watching her read the phonebook. Speaking of her, she has a big scene simply making a phone call in the last episode of the Netflix revival of Gilmore Girls that basically murdered me and yanked out more emotion than anything I can think of this side of Graveyard of the Fireflies, and IIRC it didn't even have music behind it, which is how most things force emotional reactions in the viewer! It was by far the most effectively emotional scene in the entire series. She's so great, and I don't know how high-profile Parenthood was, but I wish she'd gone on to fame and fortune after GG, which I don't think she did since the only reason I ever heard of her was from watching Craig Ferguson compilations. :(

11. KnightBrolaire

She's basically like her character in never been kissed. Dorky, goofy and overly chipper. Timothy Olyphant carries the show more or less, but Barrymore is good in it.

12. synrgy

Yeah, I'd say her performance in SCD is fine. Nothing revelatory, but she doesn't weigh it down, either. It's a good role for her.

I never cared much for her work, either, by the way. There are a couple movies I like despite her presence, but none that I like because of it.

13. synrgy

Honestly? I don't remember. That kinda stuff tends to fly right under my radar, if the story is engaging enough. I can't recall if the pilot was tonally different than what came after, or if it's just a show like so many others where it takes several episodes to really find its stride. Either way, what I remember is that I found most of the series satisfying. Does it have cliche moments, including - but not limited to - montages? Yes. Does that make it a bad show? I'm not convinced. Max never stops being intolerable, but that's sort of the point for his character, I guess?

TL;DR = I'm not saying it's without flaws. Just saying it's still better than most of the alternatives.

As a bonus, it actually ends. It didn't get canceled between seasons after stopping on a cliffhanger, or whatever. Not that the ending is 'special' persay, but I appreciated having the sense throughout the series that the writers knew - from the beginning - where they were going. Too many shows seem to make it up as they go, so whenever anything deviates from that, I tend to give it a wide berth.

14. Grumul

Grumul SS.org Regular

Really enjoying The Thick of It atm.

15. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Archer: Dreamland. Don't know what took me so long.

16. The906

Is this the latest season? I need to catch up.

17. KnightBrolaire

no, dreamland was the last season. the new season is called danger island or something like that.

18. The906

cool, i like the theme seasons they've been doing.

19. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

How the hell is it not titled, "Danger Zone!"?

And I don't like Archer once they start changing the locale and whatnot.

mongey likes this.
  20. KnightBrolaire

yeah it went downhill after the drug trafficking season. dreamland was by far the weakest season and wasn't anywhere near as funny as previous seasons.

zappatton2 likes this.