T.V. shows you've been watching

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by pushpull7, Mar 15, 2015.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire hardtail crusader

I won't spoil vikings but it's still good and worth watching. the action scenes are a bit more prevalent in the later episodes.

MickD7 likes this.
  2. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Just started on Mindhunter. Not too sure what to think after episode 1 but I'm going to push through to the end.

3. naw38

naw38 SS.org Regular

Started watching The Wire for the first time a few weeks back. Just got up to the second season; pretty nice surprise that they've used the Tom Waits version of Way Down In The Hole for the opening credits... that said, the music throughout the show tends to be really at odd with the overall tone of the show.
    But that's about my only complaint, it's really good and I feel stupid for having taken this long to watch it.

synrgy likes this.
  4. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Took me a while to finally watch the Wire, too. That was even with friends bugging me to watch it. Once I started I steam rolled through all seasons. Season 1 was a tough watch for the 1st few episodes. Once you become familiar with the characters, it gets much better. The shipping docks and school district where my favorite seasons. So many good episodes.

5. naw38

naw38 SS.org Regular

See, I started watching it because I just read Homicide, by the creator of the series. It was his non fiction account of homicide detectives in Baltimore for the whole of 88. Going into The Wire, I knew the characters already, I even knew a lot of the dialogue. It’s been great seeing those stories play out on screen.

Season two is really good so far! I’m digging Andy Belfleur in a serious role. I do miss his southern accent though.

6. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I'm jealous

Me and the wife have watched it all the way through 4 times, maybe 5 . love to be watching it for the first time again.

I love it all but I'd say season 2 is my least favorite.Frank Sobotka is amazing but ziggy and co kind of piss me off

that said it def lays a foundation of things that come later

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  7. naw38

naw38 SS.org Regular

Haha! My wife and I just separated, this is my first time watching a show that’s entirely for me in eleven years!

If season two is your least favourite, that bodes really well cause I’m absolutely loving it so far. Can’t remember anyone’s names though. Russian guy, Greek guy, Andy from True Blood, stupid kid, less stupid cousin of that kid. That’s my naming system.

8. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Ziggy is the stupid kid, I always remember that one. His name is as annoying as him. Nick is the stand-up young guy whose girlfriend has amazing tits. The crime boss is just "the Greek." How dare you call Frank Sobotka Andy from True Blood?? I thought of it in reverse, but I did see the wire first. I'm glad the guy is working consistently. His work on the Wire is so good, especially the end of the season.

That season has the most standalone characters so it's not surprising they're harder to remember. I'm AWFUL with character names in movies and usually think of them as the actor's name or just remember what they did, but I still know most of the Wire character names despite not having seen it in a while. What a show.

9. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

its still a great season. when we first watched the wire we slammed the first season in a week , and then chucked the 2nd straight in and we were like "whats with all these white guys ? " at the time we were a bit disappointed the main focus moved from the Barkesdale crew even though they still have parts in it

but there is a ton of great stuff in the season .

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire hardtail crusader

Been watching Billions. I'm on season 2 and it's strangely compelling to me. All the interpersonal drama and machinations are quite fitting for the setting of wall street. Paul giamatti, maggie siff, malin akerman and damian lewis are excellent leads, and the drama generated from their relationships is pretty entertaining.

11. naw38

naw38 SS.org Regular

I love Andy from True Blood! But yeah, he's great in The Wire. I haven't seen him in anything else, but I'd be curious to, knowing that he's capable of more than just incompetent comic relief.

I just finished season two, and wow, it was goooood, man. Ziggy's character was actually probably my favourite; mostly due to the breadth of his arc, but also how stupidly messed up he was. "Go take him Ziggu, you can do it!" Dumb kid.

12. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Let’s see, shows I’ve watched in the last six months include 11/22/63, Ash vs Evil Dead, season 7 of Walking Dead, started watching The X Files, also started Sneaky Pete last night and binge watched the first four episodes.

All are really fucking good!

13. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Mindhunter (Netflix) really delivered. 1st episode initially didn't pull me in but stuck it out and so glad I did. Still have 3 or 4 more episodes to get through so no spoilers!

14. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

new season of Voltron is out on Netflix now whoooo!!!!

if any of you its old enough to remember Voltron (you know what power rangers ripped off from lol), theres been a whole new re-do of the series in Netflix. Amazing animation, pretty close to the original concept, enough seriousness with the right amount of jokes/funny momments, the score is amazing too. Reaaaally worth a watch is you ever liked Voltron

15. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Uh, Power Rangers was adopted from the original Japanese version of Super Sentai which debuted in 1975, and Voltron is an American show that came out in 1984, so might want to check those facts there.

16. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

That's not even the first. I definitely don't know the history of these things, but I know Ultra-Man was from the 60s (a guy in a stupid helmeted superhero costume fighting a new rubbery giant monster every week). As an avid Godzilla-fan I only knew that since a couple episodes recycled Godzilla costumes :(

17. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

I just started watching The Wire, too. People have been ranting about it for years, and then I finally caved after watching Black Panther and reading that Michael B Jordan was in the first season of The Wire. Finished the first season, a few episodes into the second. Liking it, so far. Superb production, from writing to casting to acting. There are some shots I don't care for (a mixture of vertigo effect and dutch angling, basically) but when that's my only nit to pick, things are going well.

Also mid-way through Jessica Jones season 2. Much like season 1, I still find the Trish character/story annoying AF, but otherwise I'm all-in.

18. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I've always also been under the impression that Saban ripped off Ultraman following the success of MMPR to make Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad, but it looks like that too was adapted from a Japanese show called Gridman: the Hyper Agent. Jesus, all their stuff looks so similar you'd think there's like 2 dudes designing it for every network.

[​IMG]

19. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Uh... those seasons are not from 1975; they are from the early 90s.

Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger (1992-1993), Gosei Sentai Dairanger (1993-1994), and Ninja Sentai Kakuranger (1994-1995) are where the they got the stock footage from. The Z's from Zyuranger are seen in numerous places (ie the Dragonzord for instance), and a lot of the footage is pretty subpar (the footage is grainy, in one episode, there is a random Japanese kid next to one of the zords for no reason, and completely blowing the image of the zords being 500 feet tall). It's also why they change zords and change clothing, with Tommy going from the green to white ranger.

20. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Sorry, poor phrasing on my part. My original response was meant to be Power Rangers was adopted from Super Sentai, in general, not specifically the original season when it aired in 1975; the date was to give a reference of "hey, the idea of guys with color coordinated outfits/weapons/vehicles was going for minimum 9 years prior to Voltron's debut in other countries"

I'll get em next time, Coach!

Spaced Out Ace likes this.