T.V. shows you've been watching

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by pushpull7, Mar 15, 2015.

1. fps

fps Kit

If that's a reference to my post, I really hope you can see the differences, especially as Dark Side would be *the original* in the post I've made, not the duplicate. Abstract? No, it's the utter familiarity of the whole thing which is the issue here, which again makes it a false equivalence. I'm also a Film teacher, it's not an uninformed opinion.

I haven't seen Twin Peaks before, and having watched the first episode of that I won't be heading back to boresville anytime soon.

2. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

Finally started up season 3 and am 4 episodes deep. So far, I'm all in just like I was for season 1 & 2. Great show as usual.

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

It was tongue-in-cheek saying that if you watch the first episode of something and use that to dismiss all of it it would be like listening to the first track of something and using that to dismiss the album. That was the only album I could think of off-hand where the first track was in no way representative of the rest of it. I don't actually remember the first episode of Stranger Things. It probably IS representative of all of it. I was underwhelmed by season 1. But, what I ultimately ended up liking about it a lot were the characters. The alien crap and the 80s references actively annoyed me.

I am now confused as to what you're saying in the last sentence. You haven't seen Twin Peaks, but having watched the first episode of Stranger Things, you won't watch it?

fps likes this.
  4. xAGx

xAGx SS.org Regular

other than Dragon Ball Super *cough cough* nerd. lol

I've been enjoying reruns of the George Lopez show and actually very recently ive been catching last man standing and its absolutely hilarious

5. fps

fps Kit

Hehe - I'd watched the first episodes of both, and made my choice. Been watching some more Twin Peaks, I love Lynch anyway so it's not a surprise I'm digging it, but the care and attention, the differentiation of scene and mood with soundtrack and characterisation, it's just a delight. Whereas ST feels designed by a very geeky, but still, a, committee.

6. wankerness

I had a hard time getting into Twin Peaks the first time and I think I crapped out on Episode 2, but on second attempt (burning through it in preparation for Season 3 so I could watch that as it aired), I liked it quite a bit. Well, until the point where almost everyone stops liking it, anyway. It's no Mulholland Dr, but Fire Walk With Me practically is. I think it's my second favorite of his movies. And you need to have seen the whole original series in order to watch it!

fps likes this.
  7. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I know what your saying about stranger things but I think it defs is a love letter to material that they grew up with .a little too much a rip off of some of it ?maybe

but I think it does get into some new territory story wise .it just takes a few episodes to get there

personally I liked the second season more than the first. felt a little more focussed

fps likes this.
  8. fps

fps Kit

I couldn't love the original series more - this is my first viewing and I'm utterly under its spell. Really looking forward to moving into the rest of the Twin Peaks universe!!

9. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

I'm watching this too. I've been very happy with the direction the show has gone in the past year. It's unfortunate that the show is ending next month. Oh well, DB has been coming and going for thirty years, now. I'm sure it'll be back at some point.

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire ERG hoarder/pickup tester

Trying to slog through Legion. It's really slow/tedious.

11. wankerness

Everyone gets a huge boner for that show, and I loved Hannibal, so I was very surprised when I felt no desire to watch past the first episode. I forced myself to watch the next couple and it just kind of went in one eye and out the other. Not for me, I guess. I think its approach to reality was just not for me.

12. KnightBrolaire

Alright so I'm almost done with legion and it legitimately took more than half the season to start doing some interesting stuff. episode 5 is when things start to kick off and they start to really ramp up from there.

13. Guitarmiester

Guitarmiester Awesome-O

I still need to give Legion another chance. I watched part of episode one when it aired but didn't make it all the way through. Seemed interesting but lacked any substance to make me care enough to finish out the episode.

14. wankerness

The only thing I liked about the first episode was seeing that woman (she played Dodd's daughter) from Fargo S2 get another role. I loathed Aubrey Plaza's character. Part of it was seeing people say "OMG IT'S PERFECT USE OF AUBREY PLAZA" before I saw it, probably. I like her in some things, like her two starring movie roles, but man could I not stand her in the couple of episodes I saw here.

15. KnightBrolaire

She is actually one of the best parts about the show, at least later on. I don't really want to give anything away but she's a relatively important character.

16. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Season 11 of X-Files.

Mostly nostalgia but I’m digging it.

17. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Does Raw and Smackdown count? I pay for the Network (as the memes say, for just $9.99!), and wouldn't really get as much out of it if I just watched the PPVs and didn't at least passively watch the shows.