T.V. shows you've been watching

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by pushpull7, Mar 15, 2015.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

walking dead now its back.
    Tbh the season 08 ep was much better than 90% of last season.

the only thing I dont like is the vagueness the show adopts. It seems it intentionally tries to create a mystery and some times its too forced.

Like every episode plays with timelines now. It was good a few times here and there but now every episode we see a glimpse of the ending first that seems confusing, then the middle with multiple flashes of the future throughout the episode?.
    shooting all over the place and its getting distracting.

2. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I really didn't dig the new walking dead

too many badly written cheesy speeches . don't really care anymore

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Finished Mindhunter, definitely wouldn't recommend overall, the last few episodes were a real slog.

Watched all of The Good Place so far, I really like it.

4. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

I swore off Walking Dead after the season 7 opener..... but was talked into giving it another chance, and so now I'm caught up and hooked again. I would have done a lot differently, but I'm also grateful enough to live in the golden age of media that I'm willing to overlook the hiccups. This is still an amazing show.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

rewatching season 1 of stranger things before I start on season 2

setsuna7 likes this.
  6. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Eh, I disagree. The emphasis on the people and their overly dramatic bs over that of the zombies, who seem secondary, is kind of played out at this point. There are occasional scenes with zombies as if the directors and writers went, "Oh, by the way, here's some zombies. We almost forgot and we're sure you did as well."

7. Adam Of Angels

I don't know about you, but a show that focuses primarily on zombies would lose me fast. As far as I can tell, the show has always been about survival, and, also being a drama, makes sense as is. I'm interested in seeing how people would build a new world after a collapse, so it keeps me entertained, anyway.

Oh, by the way, Stranger Things Season 2 is great. I think I like it more than the 1st season.

8. Spaced Out Ace

It doesn't need to "focus primarily on zombies," but it'd be nice if it didn't treat them as an afterthought or like it's putting the crew out to include it. "Oh, god. Do we have to do another zombie scene. We'd much rather have cheesy ass monologues."

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I think it's just shows in general. Season one is exposition, seasons 2 and 3 the show hits a stride. Season 4 and beyond, the writers have to come up with new stuff to keep people interested. For one, they'll lose some people no matter what, as the focus of the show necessarily shifts, or if they try not to shift it too much, they lose people for not bringing anything new to the table. After season 8 or 9, the show almost always gets stale and needs to pack it in.

All of the damn time, when a character completes an arc on a poorly written show, the next season, everything is as if the character never did anything. Or a new villain is introduced, and it makes no sense how he had not crossed paths with the other characters before, and it's all swept under the rug.

In some ways, it's better, long term, for a show to start out kind of bad, but showing some promise, then improve gradually, than for the show to start out great and have no room for improvement.

10. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Binged right through Stranger Things 2. Some non-spoilery thoughts:

Better storytelling and character development, IMHO. That said, I'd wager this season was considerably less 'scary' than the first. I wouldn't even call it 'horror'; more like 'creepy sci-fi/fantasy'. The score is still excellent, but is arguably a hair less subtle than it was in S1. In fairness, though, that may be due to my awareness of the content, rather than the content itself.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. No gripes other than the obvious "Awww... When does S3 start?"

11. wankerness

I like Stranger Things 2 a LOT more than the first season, which I found disappointing and kind of obnoxious at times, especially all the crap with the demigorgon. I'm only 5 episodes through it, though. I like watching many of the characters and I'd much rather spend time with them than watch crappy Alien rip-offs. Dustin and Steve are the best. I like Nancy alright too, even if the triangle with Jonathan is dull.

Mike, though. What a little ASSHOLE. That kid is such a whiney little tyrant, complaining about everyone doing things without him giving the go-ahead, or being a jerk to Max, etc. I loathe that kid. Here's hoping they don't try to do another touching romantic reunion with him and 11, cause it was grating enough in the first season and this season I really don't want anything good to happen to him :D I'm hoping we continue getting tons of time with Dustin, the obvious best character.

setsuna7 likes this.
  12. Spaced Out Ace

The Stranger Things game is pretty awesome, though I have no clue who any of the characters are since I've never seen the show.

13. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

most of the way through big mouth, 2 left I think , and it is a really funny show

only thing I dont really rate is coach Steve , seems kinds tacked on and forced

14. wankerness

If it weren't for the questionable 11 episode and the last 20 seconds, I'd say I really liked Stranger Things 2. As is, it's way better than the first. I LOVED the extended ending. Dustin and Steve are the best combo ever. Nancy is so adorable and it's too bad about the bland triangle with Jonathan. I want the bully and
    Nancy's mom
    to become a thing cause that was greatly amusing.

Here's hoping they continue in season 3 with even more emphasis on character instead of getting bigger and bigger effects budgets and repeating the same threats every season. The characters are mostly great and really involving! I could take or leave most of the action, but I thought it worked a lot better than in season 1 where we had stuff like the entire episode where Jonathan and Nancy set up traps to fight the demon, fought it, and then it had zero relevance to the plot anyway cause deus ex machina!!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    setsuna7 likes this.
  15. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Mrs. Wheeler in S2?

:agreed:

16. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Wife's been sick & couch-bound so there's been some extended Netflixing. We finished Stranger Things 2 and Big Mouth last night. My recommendation: the shows should trade monsters for their next seasons.

17. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

just finished S3 of Archer . really good .S1 was great , S2 I liked but it had a few flat episodes I thought , S3 was all good . love Pam

will start season 4 on my commute this afternoon

18. Adam Of Angels

Maybe doesn't count, but I've been watching a handful of Podcasts (for some reason I almost never simply listen to them - I have to watch them) on a daily basis for maybe a year and a half now. Joe Rogan's is easily the best by a long shot, followed by Fighter and The Kid (Bryan Callen + Brendan Schaub) and Tigerbelly (Bobby Lee).

19. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Orphan Black. Also finished House of Cards a few weeks ago, before all the furore...

20. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

Finished Orphan Black last month! Honestly, it's easily the show I've enjoyed the most since Breaking Bad (along with Stranger Things). It's a shame I didn't discover it sooner, but I still managed to find the time to watch all 5 seasons in a month. Acting and character development are simply mindblowing. Withdrawal is being tough now :erk: