T.V. shows you've been watching

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by pushpull7, Mar 15, 2015.

1. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I hadn't read your spoiler as i hadn't seen it yet
    watched it this morning, and yeah I agree

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

The finale of the Strain was, well, okay. I loved most of it, but the entire premise of the final confrontation seemed like just a big old plot hole. Maybe I missed something, but I don't think so, because I was paying really close attention and still got all squinty-eyes and shook my head when the characters even seemed to become self-aware that their plan wasn't going to work. Oh well. Could have been a spectacular television program, but it instead slipped down a quality tier or two toward the end. :/

AHS: Cult seems to be going exactly as I expected, :lol: ... The show has definitely got it's moments of greatness and it's moments of "WTF are they thinking?!" - seems to just be their style.

3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

A lot of the problems I read you writing about AHS are in some ways what make it ... well, Horror!

Do you guys remember the video store? The Horror section of the video store? God, some of those movies were stupid. Objectively bad, poorly written movies. But my buddies and I watched them all. Hammerhead: Half Man, Half Shark, Total Terror. Shit like that.

That's what AHS brings to the table for me. It doesn't get bogged down by plot--it just shows weird shit that's potentially spooky or maybe just retarded.

I know there are good horror movies, too. But part of what makes a Horror movie what it is, to me, is the crappiness. And that's why in some respects I believe AHS is supposed to be crappy.

I like seasons 1-3 thoroughly, but I ultimately stopped watching the show because of Jessica Lange. Yeah yeah yeah everyone loves her, she's the best, maybe you think so, but she was given just wayyyyy to much screentime compared to the other better, more interesting characters. The lady is like 70 fucking years old, how am I supposed to be into watching her sex scenes for like 45% of half the episodes? Anyway, that's why I never watched Circus. I heard that she's not in Hotel, but I still haven't seen it. Who knows, maybe I will watch it some day. But people in generally have mostly negative things to say about everything after season three, so I'll leave it until I'm truly out of things to watch.

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

What's the matter, too HORRIFIC?

vilk likes this.
  5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Ew. Someone tell the Cryptkeeper to come and get his dusty ass woman.

6. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

damn , s4 ep10 hit me harder than 9 . that was real

7. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Apt comparison. Ozark definitely has a Fincher-like vibe to it, and the score sounds much like the Reznor/Ross combination. It explores some pretty dark corners of relationships, humanity, finance, crime, poverty, tourism..

As a side, I just looked it up, and discovered that Jason Bateman apparently started directing in 1989, when he was 20. I had no idea. I gotta hand it to the guy: He's one year older than River Phoenix (RIP). There are 100 of his peers listed here, and it's basically The Tome Of Contemporary Irrelevancy. Roughly 80% of it is folks we haven't (really) seen in years, illustrated in part by several of their head shots not having been updated since the 80's.

Anyway, Bateman directed four episodes of this first season of Ozark; bookending it with the first and last two, which I would argue are the four strongest episodes of the season. I have a feeling he's not going to have trouble finding directing jobs after this, anyway.

Adam Of Angels likes this.
  8. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

finished season 4 of bojack. I thought it was great

got a bit teary at the final scene . after a pretty rough season for everyone the final scene of bo jack smiling at being a brother was a big release

9. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I finished S4 yesterday as well, I didn't connect with this one nearly as much as I did with 2 or 3. It felt like when Arrested Development did it's 4th season and the characters you didn't really care about became bigger players than they should have been. Too much Mr. Peanutbutter and/or Todd stuff, not enough Bojack really.

I also watched all of American Vandal, and holy shit, that show really fucking lays into true crime shows. Like, I couldn't give two shits when everyone and their mother was talking about Making A Murderer, because I knew the level they hyped it up to would never deliver, and it's also seems like those shows are more and more moving from whistle-blowing/fraud-exposing journalism and more into court of public opinion. But A.V? It's the most ridiculous premise, and they treated it with the most serious manner, and had some of the best visual gags ever (like, all the different vantage point recreations for the lakeside handjob using 3D models).

Seriously, go watch that if you want to see the future of mockumentaries.

MickD7 likes this.
  10. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I actually enjoyed the focus was elsewhere for allot of the season . I thought bo jacks story line was poignant and paced really well to the season

I thought the princess Caroline stuff was really good . I also really enjoyed the Todd stuff, Mr Peanut Butter and Dianne I could've done a little less with .

11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

Been watching Harlots on Hulu and it's pretty good. I basically binge watched the whole season last night.

12. MickD7

MickD7 SS.org Regular

Binged this yesterday. So much fun, the 3D models the fan theories all of it so funny and clever in the way it took on the crime doco scenarios as it unfolded.

Watched Star Trek Discovery last night, I didn't mind it as it was only 2 episodes out of 15 that had been on Netflix. It'll be interesting to see what format the show takes whether it pursues fleshing out character arcs and over all story to the season arc or individual episodes focusing on different planets and races.

13. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

started watching Archer on my train commute yesterday . a few episodes into s1

I have seen a few episodes before but never watched in order ,and never really knew what was going on

its fucking funny

fps and Spaced Out Ace like this.
  14. wankerness

I'm going through Big Little Lies, and damn. I had a hard time making it through the first couple episodes, but I'm all in now. Nicole Kidman richly deserved that Emmy for the fifth episode alone. Jeesh.

15. KnightBrolaire

Alexander Skarsgaard is amazing in that, especially when he's playing off of Kidman.

16. wankerness

God yes, that character is incredible. He really shows both sides of that kind of character, which you almost never get. I have always liked him, even on trash like True Blood, but this is BY FAR the best I've ever seen him in, which is saying something after Generation Kill.

17. KnightBrolaire

He's been great in everything I've seen him in. I loved him in Generation Kill, True Blood and Tarzan. I don't know how he didn't get nominated for his character in Big Little Lies.

18. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Didn't he win the supporting actor Emmy ?

19. KnightBrolaire

oh, so he did, my bad. He definitely deserved it.

20. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

cool. I only knew that cause my wife has been watching it and told me

sounds like I have to check it out