T.V. shows you've been watching

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by pushpull7, Mar 15, 2015.

1. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Penultimate episode of the Strain was pretty good. It's hard to believe that I've been watching it for four years.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

I refuse to watch AHS after freak show and coven. they soured me on the show. 1st season was great, I liked asylum a lot too, though coven and freak show were pretty meh overall. Cult looks like the epitome of bad ryan murphy shows. he somehow manages to run any show he's produced into the ground with subsequently shittier writing season after season while simultaneously adding more of his political/social beliefs into a show. He did it with nip/tuck, glee, and now he's doing it to AHS.

3. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Season 1 was their best, 2 was great but hated the ending. I loved how they blended possession, aliens, and nazis altogether.
    After that tbh it became I guilty pleasure. I enjoyed Roanoke's first half, the second ruined the season for me.
    I am just watching them all just cause I am used to doing so?
    The one merit from watching them all is that they have started showing how all of the seasons are linked to one another.
    This new season has potential but I wouldn't be surprised it ends becoming a meme like the past 4 seasons.

4. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I'm up to episode 9, and man, that one kind of stung

It's the one with Princess Carolynn's "great granddaughter" telling her class about her, even though she's never born and it's just a fantasy she tells herself on really terrible days

5. bostjan

Yeah, Nip/Tuck started out looking like it was going to be a masterpiece, but just when it really started getting good, everything went weirdly bad. I sort of feel like every season of AHS has followed that same arc. This season has wasted no time going right for the camp.

takotakumi and KnightBrolaire like this.
  6. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Hmm, didn't realize there was a new season. Guess I'll have to look into it. It's called "Cult," and has clowns, is all I'm seeing from a quick scan of the internet.

Roanoke's second half was better than the first. I loved seeing the "REAL" versions of characters, especially the butcher. I absolutely can't stand Kathy Bates on this show anymore and seeing the actually scary version of her obnoxious character was cool.

I LOVE some aspects of Coven, like anything dealing with Stevie Nicks and Lily Rabe's wonderful character, but I hated pretty much everything else, like...anything with Kathy Bates, and the AXE MAN. WHO CARES

Freak Show was absolutely terrible. The first couple episodes had promise but it took itself way too seriously and tried to have dramatic heft and just sucked and wasn't fun at all.

I never watched Hotel because I hated Freak Show so much. I probably should at some point.

Season 2 is the best one by far, though I do have a vague memory of it getting serious and stupid at the end. The first season is fairly bad but did have some episodes that really worked, particularly the one where the teen daughter discovered that she was dead.

Lily Rabe's non-involvement is obviously the worst thing about season 4, and she didn't have a good role in Roanoke either. Stop casting Emma Roberts, she's a personality black hole!

7. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Everyone loved hotel only cause Lady Gaga was there I can't believe she even won a golden globe for best actress for that role.
    I mean she wasn't necessarily bad but saw that overhyped due to who she is.

...on the other hand its the only season where Alexandra Daddario shows up at least briefly :) hehehe

Also, what ever happened to Jessica Lange?
    I remember hating her bitchy characters but tbh I miss her haha

8. smokiekouki

smokiekouki SS.org Regular

I watched disjointed on netflix over the weekend. It's surprisingly entertaining.

Maybe I was just baked.

9. bostjan

The problem I have with AHS, in general, is that, to me, it seems like the showrunners are trying to cram 20 pounds of shit into a five pound bag with every season since season 1. Even season 1 seemed to have a really hard time staying on topic. If it was a movie rather than a television programme, I might be able to enjoy the campiness of it, but watching it once a week, it's too taxing to try to make sense of all of the hundreds of storylines and I feel swindled when most of them don't even go anywhere from a storytelling perspective. It's just too low a signal to noise ratio, so I have to watch it while doing something else, and only half pay attention. I've conditioned myself to tune out a lot of what my brain considers plot noise. The new season seems... well, it already
    killed off two of the characters who seemed like main-ish characters
    I think I have 5 minutes of attention invested in it even though I technically watched the entire episode.

10. wankerness

She was on a show called Feud last year which was much more of an acting showcase than AHS tbh, I was glad to see her get the upgrade. It was an intentionally overwrought, silly version of the bette davis vs joan crawford feud during the filming of Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.

11. KnightBrolaire

I don't know what you're talking about Bates was great in Coven. Same with Emma Roberts, though she took that character to an even bigger extreme in Scream queens (yay that rhymes :p). She's amazing in Scream Queens. Her snotty waspish attitude was hilarious. All the crap with stevie knicks was actually the part I hated the most about that season (other than the disjointed non-sequitur laden plot, which is basically par for the course on AHS).

12. KnightBrolaire

this is exactly the reason I stopped watching. Every season gets more erratic in the storytelling and just feels like 95% of the plotlines are irrelevant. NOBODY CARES ABOUT HOW FLIPPERHAND IS GOOD AT GETTING WOMEN OFF WITH HIS FLIPPERS

wankerness, takotakumi and bostjan like this.
  13. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I actually liked it because Hotel was FX's spin on the real life Murder Castle run by H.H. Holmes in the 1890's.

The thing I like about AHS is that it's old fashioned horror for modern times. They aren't trying to reinvent the genre. They are taking traditional topics/subjects (some of them based on real life events. I.e. Hotel and Roanoke) that have been in horror movies for decades and just reintroducing them. Some people will call this "rehashing" and "unoriginal". They're right. But look how many times the Romeo and Juliet plot has been used. If someone asked me for new horror and I would probably tell them to look into Night Shyamalan movies.

14. wankerness

Kathy Bates acts just fine, I just can't stand her on the show. I find her southern accent obnoxious, hate the characters they cast her as, and hate watching her shove her stupid face into the camera while glaring. You could probably make a drinking game of that last thing.

She's so good in her most famous role, Misery, because she's great at being sunshiney and having the way that character progresses come from that initial impression. She's "off." On this show, she's just a nutbag/psycho all the time and it's tiring and boring.

15. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

+1.

Kathy was in this movie called, "A home of our own" in 1993 and in my very strong, IMHO, from a movie drama standpoint, it is one of her best. Basically in the movie, she is a single Mom with 6 children trying her best to cope with poverty. I took a chance at watching it because I thought it was different than what she had already done and fortunately, I ended up liking her performance. She's done other movies which I thought did well but most people only know her from Misery. :cool:

16. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

I pretty much binged through Ozark - absolutely excellent show, though a bit more disturbing than I was expecting it to be.

synrgy likes this.
  17. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I'm highly interested in watching this show. I saw the trailer and, I know this will sound weird, I really, really like the dark atmosphere/tone of the locations. Lots of dark lighting and dreary like, "The girl with the Dragon tattoo (2011)" and "The Mothman Prophecies (2002) feel to it.

18. wankerness

I think she's really damn good in the other Stephen King adaptation she's in, Dolores Claiborne. It's a very different kind of character.

I also had a fond spot for her for a while because of Fried Green Tomatoes, which I saw long before Misery. For some reason we watched that movie in grade school, haha. I guess whoever showed it just missed the entire lesbian thing that runs under the surface (as did all of us).

19. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I've been wanting to see that movie in it's entirety. I've seen bits of pieces of it here and there and after watching "A home of our own", I definitely want to see the whole thing, now.

IMHO, drama movies are what test the limits of what a actor/actress can do, acting wise. No special effects, no explosions, no car chases, no monsters/aliens running around, etc, etc, etc. to disguise the acting talent, if there is any, in the movie.

takotakumi likes this.
  20. IGC

IGC OCDG

Don't know if it has allready been mentioned in this thread, not about to backread 30 pages of posts to find out, didn't find anything in search so.... Fortitude is a good tv series on amazon. Wife and I have been binge watching. And oooh the setting is in Fortitude Norway:miniwang: