T.V. shows you've been watching

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by pushpull7, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Yeah, so I finished The Leftovers and was glad I did. Not sure if I would put it in the Golden Age of Television Pantheon as frequently touted, but it's a solid B+. Even though it expanded in scope, it didn't trip over its own dick by trying to pile-onto or smother its own central mystery as I feared. The ending, while ambiguous, has kind of an earned ambiguity and not from narrative bad faith.

It's going to be hot & rainy this weekend, ensuring some TV time. Thinking of starting Deadwood- would anyone recommend it?

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

deadwood is amazing, just too short with only 2 seasons. Ian McShane is legendary as Al Swearingen. If you're really into westerns then I highly recommend Hell on Wheels and The Son as well, they're both great. Westworld and Justified are also amazing if you're looking for a different take on the western.

Demiurge likes this.
  3. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Deadwood had three seasons. As a bonus, David Milch recently delivered a script for a movie to HBO, and they apparently love it, so they're looking into the budget and availability of cast. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyway, OMG, YES. I pretty firmly believe it was one of the best shows to ever grace television, and I'm not being hyperbolic. The writing is brilliant, and the dialog is extremely dense; not quite iambic pentameter, but reminiscent of. From top to bottom -- writing, directing, cinematography, costumes, set design, acting; there isn't a single element they didn't do perfectly. The whole thing is a masterstroke. I can't recommend it enough.

And now I've probably oversold it and you'll hate it, but whatever. Best show ever, IMO.

HeavyMetal4Ever likes this.
  4. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

The Descent 1 and 2

I watched The Descent 1 at the movies, it was awesome.
    Today I watched it again and it's still awesome.
    First visually it's awesome, the cave looks so real and the close-up shots make you really feel how's to be stuck in tiny holes (guys love tiny holes lol), a lot of times I felt like I just wanted to get out of there.Plus it's really perfect when it tries to show us how big that cave is.
    Direction is just perfect.It builds tension perfectly, there are jump scares but they're not dumb, they're part of what's happening
    There's only one male character who dies in the beginning so it's a female world movie.All chicks are badasses, they're not dumb and weak like in movies directed by males, here even when they got hurt they're badasses and fight for their lives which is awesome, I really hate dumb female characters who only exist to be killed or to be protected by males.

Both movies are great and follow the same formula however, in the first one we have surprises cause we have no idea what we're dealing with, in the second there are no surprises cause we know what's happening.Still both are great horror movies with tons of blood that doesn't feel forced because nature (animals) is all about blood.

5. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

6. KnightBrolaire

you realize that both the descent movies were directed by a guy (Neil Marshall, who also directed a ton of GoT episodes) right? anyways the 1st one is an awesome movie. Not as much of a fan of the 2nd one. Neil Marshall is an awesome director, I love Dog Soldiers and Doomsday so much, they're so fun.

7. Duosphere

Duosphere (oYo) Lover

Yep.
    I like Dog Soldiers too.

8. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I still haven't seen Doomsday. I really liked Centurion for what it was, I don't think it gets a lot of love.

Wait, WHY is this in the TV thread? :rofl:

During the brief period I'm paying for HBO for Game of Thrones, I'm thinking maybe I should try Deadwood and The Leftovers. I'm not sure I can get into either! I've never seen Veep, either.

9. KnightBrolaire

Centurion was also great, I think it's pretty underrated. I would definitely recommend deadwood, can't really speak for the leftovers. I'm pretty wary of anything lindelof touches after lost.

10. HeavyMetal4Ever

HeavyMetal4Ever SS.org Regular

Give it a go, it's one of the best TV shows ever made imho.

11. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Anyone else still watching the Strain? I'm a huge GdT fan, and I've loved the show, but seriously, what's with all of the unrelated flashbacks in this weekend's episode? We already have all of the backstory we need, and the story is coming very close to the end.

The basic rules of the final series/season of a show (actually the third act of any story, regardless of medium):
    1. Don't introduce any new main characters (sometimes one and only one is excusable)
    2. Stay away from exposition
    3. Keep the pacing tight
    4. Resolve the main conflict

I was really digging the bleakness of the past few episodes, and how the characters were all separated by geography (in pairs, mostly, at least), yet still behaved consistently with what we had seen up until now. All of the character arcs seemed complete, and the new missions seemed like they might tie together all of the characters and storylines pretty well as things coalesced quickly. A huge plot point comes up and it could completely turn the tides around...what happens next? We get a flashback of one of the secondary characters behaving totally out of character (from what we know about him) a very long time ago in a seemingly irrelevant situation with all new characters. It's just bad storytelling in a show that had decent storytelling prior.

12. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Been checking out Ozark. Pretty sure I'm nearing the end. Solid thriller. Dark, brooding, moody, etc. Recommended. Bonus points for score that sounds like (but isn't) Trent Reznor.

*edit* Starring and directed by Jason Bateman. Not sure if he's directed before (I'm not bothering to look it up before posting) but he's done a brilliant job, here.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    KnightBrolaire likes this.
  13. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

Everybody loves Raymond
    King of queens
    Impractical Jokers
    Home Improvment
    South Park
    Chopped

14. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

American Gods. Taped the season because I was busy doing other shit.

Just finished epi 2, and I'm in. I'm a Gaiman fan and they're doing this some justice.

asfeir likes this.
  15. KnightBrolaire

I finished Ozark and hoo damn did I like it. It gives a really fascinating look at money laundering plus it's really good.

synrgy likes this.
  16. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack on Amazon.

synrgy and Demiurge like this.
  17. KnightBrolaire

i binge watched like 10 episodes of brooklyn nine nine last night and really enjoyed it. It's one of those rare non-cable comedy shows that I've liked besides Parks and Recreation.

18. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

The big problem with non-cable shows is there are way too many damn episodes. It always feels like an insurmountable task to watch them and catch up.

(Disclaimer: I am currently watching the X-files all the way through :()

steinmetzify likes this.
  19. KnightBrolaire

I've tried multiple times to watch all the criminal minds seasons/Bones seasons and end up getting distracted after a few seasons. I really do want to finish bones dammit.

20. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Done that one twice, 2nd time was because the wife had never seen it.

Finished American Gods, dug the whole thing.