T.V. shows you've been watching

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by pushpull7, Mar 15, 2015.

1. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I'd say for Gaiman rankings, it's Good Omens first, then A.G., then Neverwhere; but those are the only 3 of his I've read, so Anansi Boys or some others may be better than those.

I also think one of the things that's worked really well for A.G. as a show is running Laura and Sweeney in parallel to Shadow/Wednesday, it's like a fucked up buddy cop show where there's no good cop :lol:

2. Elwood

Elwood SS.org Regular

Have you ever read American psycho? It's messed up and obsessive details of clothes, food and restaurants! In that case it really helps highlight the madness of Patrick Bateman

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

yeah, that book is a straight up satire of american consumerism iirc. The film also nails that vibe, especially the obsession with Huey Lewis/ the business cards scene.

Elwood likes this.
  4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Is anyone here watching Fargo? I know it's been a while since this series wrapped up, but I feel like I missed something this series and I would like to know if I'm the only one who feels that way.

5. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Huh? Was this the last season? I hope not. The first two, especially two, were some of the best TV I've ever seen. The last season was kinda bad, but oh well, great series overall.

6. takotakumi

takotakumi SS.org Regular

Same thoughts. I loved s01 and s02, everything about them was great.

I felt this season got me hooked with a nice start but felt rushed towards the end?
    I still liked it but it paled in comparison to the past two masterpieces.

7. bostjan

I don't know if it's coming back or not.

The first series had me riveted, and the second was an excellent spirit-sequel. This series had its moments, but the opening shots just seemed like they never tied into anything else in any sort of satisfying way, and there were way too many unanswered questions, and not really any closure that seemed like satisfying closure. I guess the plot of the series overall was just a total trainwreck. The characters were spectacular, there were some really interesting camera shots in the first few episodes, and there were some cool action sequences in the later episodes, but after watching all of the episodes, trying to say what the plot was out loud feels kind of embarrassing. I think there were a lot of opportunities for the writers to do some really cool things this year, and it just feels like they completely dropped the ball.

If it's renewed for another series, I'll gleefully tune in, even if the plot ends up being complete mush again, just to check out the wonderful acting and cinematography.

8. wankerness

If you call seasons series, what do you call the collection of seasons?

The only thing I loved about season 3 was Mary Elizabeth Winstead's character. She was the only one with any life. Everything else was dull. I especially hated the villains. We had the cretin with the rotting teeth and his practically faceless goons. David Thewlis was good at doing what that character was, but he was awful and boring compared to the likes of Billy Bob Thornton/Bokeem Woodbine/Martin Freeman. I can't express how much I hated watching that asian guy and the tracksuit guy, ESPECIALLY compared to the extremely colorful heavies of the last two seasons. There was a tiny blip of entertainment factor seeing DJ Qualls as a sinister bad guy, but again, he wasn't colorful or interesting in any way compared to the likes of Hanzi or Wrench/Numbers or any of the Gerharts. Even frickin Kieran Culkin made more of an impact in ONE EPISODE than any of these idiots made in the entire season.

I liked the reintroduction of Mr Wrench, but it seemed like a hail mary when the writers realized how boring the season was. That whole episode with MEW and him in the woods and eventually running into Leland Palmer was the highlight of the season. I hated the perfunctory end to her arc.

Reviews tended to freak out about how great Carrie Coon's character was, but I just found her flat and boring. She wasn't obnoxious or anything, I just never got into her. I mean, I obviously wanted her to kick that cop who was trying to bed her in the face in episode 3 or whatever, and was frustrated at her chief (who, unlike the similar characters in seasons 1 and 2 ie Bob Odenkirk, NEVER showed any redeeming characteristics and thus was boring), and thought her relationship with her son was nice, etc, but it wasn't anything like seasons 1 and 2 with Allison Tolman and Patrick Wilson where I completely loved the characters and loved spending time with them.

Yeah. Bad season. It wasn't True Detective Season 2 level of plummeting, but it was a gigantic fall-off just the same.

9. bostjan

You mean a programme? :lol:

I particularly liked the entire plot to assassinate MEW's character, but I agree that that sequence was, by far, the highlight of the entire plot.

A couple of things were consistent throughout the entire plot that were mildly annoying in small doses, but really irksome integrated out:

1. None of the villains were the least bit menacing in comparison with any of the previous story lines in the franchise. Everyone was just kind of a bumbling henchman or small-time thug.
    2. The main character was fairly relate-able, but just kept taking everyone else's crap day after day without ever really having a comeuppance, until the very last moment, but even then it's all very vague and arguable. Overall, I just felt bad for her and it all seemed like her story went nowhere at all the least bit interesting.
    3. If I was wrong about who the main character was supposed to be, then there would be even bigger problems.
    4. I don't have any problems with Ewan McGregor, but I got really tired of seeing him in full body makeup. I don't know exactly why it bothered me, but, like everything else, it just slowly rubbed me raw over time.
    5. The cops. They were so ho-hum. The whole gimmick of the Fargo franchise is these small town cops having to deal with things going out of control and seeing their reacts. A series of murders in a small town. Ho-hum, another day on the job. Someone breaks into the police station. Meh. A large-scale prison heist. Ho-hum, no biggie. A massive shootout between a bunch of parking-lot company accountants and some sort of crime gang...hmm.
    6. ...and this was my biggest thing: the sense I got of so many little sub-plots that ended up just being completely pointless.

It's just a lot of bad writing.

And like we all keep saying, it seemed like it was off to a slow start and I think we all just trusted it was building to something groundbreaking, as we've grown accustomed to seeing in this franchise. It was paced such that the prison bus heist and subsequent pursuit through the woods seemed like our patience was finally paying off, but then the pacing just got even more awkward and unfulfilling after that.

10. wankerness

I don't disagree with much of that. I thought Ewan McGregor was good, I just didn't really care about the brothers or especially their stupid stamp feud, which wasn't even explained until the end of it. If they'd explained the damn thing at the beginning it might have worked. His confession to Carrie Coon was his best moment, it just was too little too late. The rich one's sidekick was possibly the most likable character. He first came across as an idiot henchman, but he ended up being the most honorable and likable guy and it's too bad he got basically written off the show the last couple of episodes.

11. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

Been watching Glow this week with the wife . half way through the season . its a watchable distraction .

so far Marc Maron def holds it together, think he's really good in it

Alison Brie's titties coming a close 2nd .well 2nd anyway

synrgy likes this.
  12. KnightBrolaire

finished watching the new castlevania series on netflix and I really liked it. My only complaint is that it's only 4 episodes long. The fight scenes are awesome, the gore is great, there's some legitimately funny parts and we finally have a really good video game adaptation.

13. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Not a TV show, but I've been watching iDubbbz and Filthy Frank lately.

takotakumi likes this.
  14. naw38

naw38 SS.org Regular

I screamed when that happened, oh my god. She's glorious.

Just finished The Handmaid's Tale a couple of nights ago, and apart from a few off putting musical choices, it was really enjoyable; production value was cinematically high. Reminded me of Chan-wook Park's films (which is high praise).

15. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

so I started to watch Gravity Falls after watching some internet theory about it with Rick and Morty and how the two are connected. Ohhh how did I miss such a good show, fricking love it.

Same thing with Rick and Morty too, I never paid attention to it, until one day like couple of months ago? I was like lets do it. Binge watch the whole thing in one sitting...well kinda, I needed to sleep lol

16. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Just watched all of GLOW in one day, holy shit, it as incredible. I remember being a kid and thinking "wrestling is ridiculous," but when someone explained it to me - then it became so much more enjoyable and fun to watch. So seeing Debbie's reaction when it clicks for her at the match with Steel Horse and the girls really hit home.

I mean, theres so many other amazing moments like Alison Brie giving the match rundown after coming up with Zoya, but man, the while thing makes me wish I was around for the heyday of wrestling

synrgy likes this.
  17. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Depends what era you think is the "heyday of wrestling." For some, it's the Attitude era and the Monday Night Wars or the golden age of WWF [1983-1992], while for others it is 70s and 80s NWA, etc. I think a lot of what one person thinks is the golden era versus what another person thinks is mostly because of nostalgia.

18. MikeyA18

MikeyA18 SS.org Regular

I've ben watching a lot of Doctor Who. I came late into the series, and need to do a lot of catching up. (Sorry for subject change.)

19. wankerness

Yup. As far as I'm concerned the golden age was the period that I watched it and it was wildly entertaining, with The Rock and Steve Austin and The Undertaker/Kane in their scary phases (with the Undertaker's little buddy Paul Bearer) and Chyna/HHH/X-Pac and Mankind etc, and Vince McMahon scheming against Stone Cold and blowing his car up, etc. It was SO entertaining. I lost interest as all those guys aged and lost their super-ridiculous gimmicks (ex Kane, The Undertaker, the "vampires") or became "execs" (ex HHH) or left (ex The Rock, Mankind).

I watched GLOW a second time. I really enjoy it, but a second watch revealed how shallow most of the characters are. It's kind of necessary with how many characters there are and how little time it is, so oh well. MOST of the girls are developed enough that I really liked them. I really look forward to a season 2, though I think having them already be wrestlers might make it lose some of the charm that there was with them all learning the ropes and having no clue what they were doing. We'll see!

One thing I loved about it was how the abortion subplot was REALLY flat, like there's never a second of hesitation and no one even finds out besides Marc Maron. I REALLY hope they don't bring that back as some point of drama in S2.

synrgy likes this.
  20. KnightBrolaire

started watching the handmaid's tale. Definitely intrigued by the 1st episode, they really set the tone as super bleak, which is right up my alley. Plus I don't mind looking at Alexis Bledel or Yvonne Strahovski ;)