Synergy Amps!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by jsmalleus, Aug 31, 2017.

1. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

incredibly tempting at these prices to get one as my Racks poweramp.... My pre is an ENGL E530

4. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

That 50/50 does look pretty cool. I wonder how colored (or not) it is.

5. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I saw a video that said the power amps are actually Fryette's so they're probably 2/50/2's

6. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  7. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

It's really nothing new though. Egnater and Randall have both made modular guitar amps in the past. This only improves upon those by having two channels in one module.

It also has the exact same problem the older units have - a shared poweramp. Pairing something like a Plexi module with a 6L6 poweramp or a Fender module with EL34 poweramp is not going to sound the same as when paired with either a poweramp tailored for the preamp or poweramp that at least uses the same tubes as the one the module is inspired by. To me these units should have a stereo poweramp with different powertubes per side.

While the modularity sounds like a great idea, people are more likely to just end up finding their favorite combination and sticking with that rather than swapping modules in and out all the time.

8. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Holy crap.This is the future.

Now they just need to add a parallel blend feature between the preamps. I'd love to blend a SLO and a Brown Eye together

9. fantom

fantom Misses his 6 strings

For people like me with one power amp and 2 rack preamps, I don't see how this problem is unique to modular amps and not just rack amps. I also don't see it as much of a problem if the tone is there.

Also, IIRC, there is a physical 3 way switch on the module itself that changes how hot the amp runs to try to account for this.

Otherwise there was a midi controlled power amp with both EL34 and 6L6 from Randall for people who wanted that control.

10. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

The same thing obviously applies for rack amps too and those unusual combinations can sound perfectly good, but if someone is looking for that elusive "Fender and Marshall in the same box" sound then they are effectively looking at two different amps and the modular preamp systems don't fully solve this issue.

11. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

Yeah, but these modules aren't approximations. They're the real deal from the respective amp designers themselves.

Randall was ahead of their time though

12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Bruce designed all of the base architecture for these systems.

The egnater units already had 2 channels per module.

Another limitation of the old modules was that they still shared a common input gain stage and the actual modules were limited to two preamp tubes with the phase inverter being in the poweramp. That lets you do maybe 80 percent circuit matching to the sounds they were going for but it wasn’t sufficient for a lot of circuits.

Seems like they tried to design around this problem.

This idea never really caught on the first time. But I’m all about racks so hopefully they stick around a bit longer this time.

13. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I mean, your getting your choice of some very nice boutique preamps and a Fryette designed poweramp. I don't think you could ask for a more badass combination. You really don't think you could find a set of tubes you like for this application?

14. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, this can sound just fine but for maximum versatility out of something like this, you would ideally have a more versatile poweramp too. 50W per side, 6L6 and EL34 would cover a lot of ground. Being able to output to two different cabs or speakers would be pretty great.

On the amp modeler side the Yamaha THR100HD is really close to what I would want in an all-tube version.

15. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I remember seeing a really long form interview with Steven Fryette on YouTube (tonetalk video that was like 3 hours long, but interesting if you're into that stuff) and at one point he explained why he was quite adamant that the poweramp design matters more than the type of tube you put in. Apparently tubes are linear, it's everything else that is part of the system that is not.

16. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

On amps I've had that allow using different tubes, changing them to another type made a big difference in tone. For example when I still had my Diezel Einstein, I tried it with 6L6 tubes instead of the default EL34s and it made the cleans better but I liked the overdrive much better with EL34s.

While I suppose you could design a poweramp using 6L6 tubes to sound more like one with EL34s, it still doesn't solve the issue that one type of tube is not perfect for all preamps.

17. jsmalleus

jsmalleus SS.org Regular

The power amp fantom mentioned (RT 2/50) was the match for the old MTS stuff and able to have both el34 and 6L6 and be midi switchable, which would be ideal. I asked the synergy guys a couple weeks ago if there was any possibility the 5050 would be able to take el34's too with a bias adjustment and it was a firm naw.

Aside from the extra heat in a 1u rack and any component based reasons, it is Fryette designed, so he likely did so with the same notion as with the Fryette/VHT poweramps (on their website it describes why they took the el34/6L6 switch off of their power amps). I think the gist was they felt it was better to have a power amp designed to sound great with one type of tube, than an amp designed to sound good with two types of tubes. I imagine that is why the additional features of the RT 2/50 weren't integrated into the new synergy power amp. I snagged a VHT 2/50/2 to pair with it for now but would be interested to check out the RT 2/50 and the Syn 5050. You can hook the synergy up to add channels to an existing amp though, plus the modules have the Cathode Select switch on them, so you can potentially check it out through all sorts of poweramps with different tube types to see what flavor you like best with your modules.

18. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

They did this. They made the Randall RT2/50. Midi changeable, 50w a side load el34 in one side, 6L6 in the other. Or 6v6, KT88, 6550, any octal tube basically. Plus in my rm100 or an rm50 you can bias in anything you want for the modules you have loaded. Right now I have KT88/6L6 but am changing to el34 cause there's so much bottom end. A tech on another forum (MTS I think) went over the power amp circuit of the rm100 and it's pretty much a Plexi/Super Bass on that end. So pretty much no problem covering British territory. But with other power tube types you can get 85% where you're trr\ying to go and regardless it's gonna play and feel better than modelling. Cause tubes. I have a Plexi SL+ module, and with the bright switch on am in super happy crunchy town for my classic rock band on Fridays. On Saturday with the metal band I run the custom ENGL module I have and it nails that.