Synergy Amps!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by jsmalleus, Aug 31, 2017.

1. jsmalleus

jsmalleus SS.org Regular

The folks over at Synergy are shipping out the preorders! Has anyone on here gotten their hands on them yet? SLO and VH modules on the way, but would really like to hear what people think about the other modules & the 5050 power amp when those start landing.

DNF, HL3, Synergy. The trifecta is almost complete, your turn Valve!

Trashgreen likes this.
  2. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

Wow... I hadn't heard about these before now. I loved the idea back when Randall had their line of module driven amps, but that was a time long before I had my own money, hah.

I really hope these guys find success. I'm gonna keep my eye out, they look to have a lot of potential!

3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Are they actually coming out now? I've been seeing prototypes for what feels like years now.

I admit I really do like the idea behind the Egnater/Randall modules and I've heard some real good tones from them (mostly from module modders like salvation) but the cost of entry is pretty high.

I remember looking at the prices of this synergy stuff, and I think the price point might be too high. For the cost of the 2-module head with a Friedman BE and HBE moduleS, you're paying as much as you would for a real BE/HBE. It's bound to be good given the guys involved, but is it as good or better than the real amps to justify that cost?

I hope it does well as its a cool concept. I'm intetested in the one-module desktop unit if the price is right, especially if it can take the Egnater and Randall modules. Also that 50/50 poweramp looks promising.

4. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Preorders are shipping. A guy on one of the Facebook groups I'm on got his IIRC.

Given Friedman is one of the guys behind it and the those modules are the preamp circuits from the BE100 it should sound pretty close. While I agree they're not cheap I'm also realistic in not expecting the companies behind Synergy to undercut their existing products.

5. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

egnater is also involved right?

6. jsmalleus

jsmalleus SS.org Regular

Yeah, Bruce & the folks who did the Randall/Egnater stuff are behind the Synergy amps as well, from what I understand they've just joined forces with people from the amp companies they are making the modules of as well this time to really get them as close as they could to the real deal.

I have a handful of the old Randall/Egnater modules and was looking into getting a M4 when I found the Synergy info, it's supposed to be backwards compatible as well so I figured I'd hold out. I was also mostly interested in the SLO and Diezel modules, it's gonna be a few weeks of pbj and ramen overload for sure, but I'd be homeless if I tried to buy those actual amps haha. I think whether it's worth the cost will depend on the use case, but you're right, if someone is looking for a BH/HBE and has no interest in the other modules, it wouldn't really make sense to pass up the actual amp in favor of these. If the ones I get rock though I'll definitely be checking out other modules, so I was able to rationalize it to myself. I really hope it gains traction so they get more companies on board and expand the modules offered as well.

mnemonic likes this.
  7. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

I'm really looking forward to trying these out. The Randall RM stuff was really cool.

8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I really like the idea of these. I was looking forward to the egnater m2 for a while before i guess it got rolled into the synergy project.

It looks really good on paper...although the price seems like it would fall even harder into the rabbit hole the mts series fell into...which was that the base unit was really cheap but then all of a sudden you'd be out several thousand dollars and have a crate full of modules.

9. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

If I remember correctly Egnater, Friedman, and Fryette are all involved. There may have been somebody else that I am forgetting too.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  10. jsmalleus

jsmalleus SS.org Regular

I know Peter Diezel was involved with the VH module as well \m/, I remember reading about him tweaking it. I think pretty much each module they're doing, someone from that company is in on it.

11. narad

narad SS.org Regular

The great war between the builders and the modelers has begun.

12. SnoozyWyrm

SnoozyWyrm SS.org Regular

I fondly remember the first time a played an old friend's Lynchbox. Astonishing tones. What wasn't was the fact that the stock modules where pretty bland, especially compared to Salvation Mods and Jaded Faith stuff. Being able to distinctly tailor your amp so much, approaches modeller territory.

Vox cleans to breakup, Marshall crunch and high-gain channel of choice? What more could you want? Except your car, paid bills, both kidneys etc...

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

14. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

I just got my SYN2 with the VH4 and SLO modules. Test run later today!

protest likes this.
  15. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I got a used Rm100 for $350. The price entry point is not that bad. A head with 2 or 3 modules in it goes for the price of a used 5150. I recommend the rm50, cause, my back lol. Mine came with a KH-3 which I sent into Motorcity to be turned into an ENGL for $269. The stock black SL+ is fantastic. And all the new SYNRGY stuff works with the old platform. I would get the BE but I think I want the JJ Dirt next. It's got a BE switch on it I guess.

16. jsmalleus

jsmalleus SS.org Regular

Only got to spend about an hour with the SYN2 w/SLO & VH4 modules on Saturday, but using it to add channels to one of my amps via 4cm both modules sounded killer. I hooked it up to the Helix & power amp next, but didn't really get to test it out other than setting up a simple send/return patch & getting output before I had to stop. There is also a direct out on the SYN that has cab emulation or you can bypass that and load IRs on your comp later, so it seems pretty flexible.

For those who have the single channel modular stuff, they also said the new synergy modules have a switch where you can set which of the two channels you want em to use, which I thought was pretty cool, so I might even try it through the ol rm100 at some point. It's not switchable via the channel select button or footswitch like on the dual channel egnater or new syn stuff, but still, that is something that would have been cool to have on the old modules & is a welcome addition.

17. kylendm

kylendm Electrical Mercenary

Curious how the new mods sound on the old platform. Definitely let us know! I'm running modded modules with my gigging setup through my RM4->Fryette 2/50/2 and I couldn't imagine it sounding much better haha.

18. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

^Did I buy your old RM100 this winter, lol? It was from Jersey. The new modules are running modded module prices, so those are reasonable. But the hardware is outta my range. I'll just find which channel I like the best and pull modules to change if I get one. Basically though I think there's 3 amps everybody needs to have in one form or another. 5150, Recto and 800. They only have the one so I hope they change that in the future. Licensed or not. Maybe they could get EVH on board but definitely not Mesa or Peavey I'm sure.