Switching instruments

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by NKGP, Mar 23, 2011.

1. NKGP

NKGP SS.org Regular

Hi,

I'm 23 years old and I've been in two bands so far as guitarist.
    I'm graduating in a few months and I'm talking to some people to start a serious band this summer, but it seems as if there are no decent drummers around (or all good ones are taken).

So I was thinking, what if I started playing the drums. I've already written some material so it would be a lot faster to have a steady line up that way.

Are there any people who experienced something similar?
    Ever changed instruments?
    Am I too old to "start over"?

2. hxcdeathcore

hxcdeathcore SS.org Regular

No sir, I had almost the exact same situation. I have natural drum skills and could play better than a 1 year player could on my first try. After realizing that drums were my real instrument, I sold my amps, kept my guitars and pod, and got a drumset. Now I'm doing something I like better and am alot better at.

3. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

I've been thinking about it, but it looks like we may have finally found a good drummer.

I still plan to buy an electronic kit to practice at home sometime in the next year or so, but the need is less immediate now.

4. Jogeta

Jogeta SS.org Regular

where would you guys start in terms of learning techniques?
    and what sort of gear would you start with?

5. Valknut

Valknut Banned

I thought about switching to bass many times just because of how many guitarists there are in my area, and because there aren't any bassists who are good enough to play metal or they just aren't in to it. If I had the money I would buy a bass and start playing for sure. I don't see it ass departing from the guitar as an instrument really. It's just expanding your musical horizons. And who knows maybe approaching music from a different instrument will give you a new perspective about rhythm that you can translate over to your guitar playing or something like that. Either way it can't be a bad idea imo.

6. NKGP

NKGP SS.org Regular

hxcdeathcore: how old were you when you made the switch?

Jogeta: I'm a pretty fast learner. I would probably take lessons starting september. I figured it would take at least a half year or something to write and rewrite a couple of good songs. I don't think I will be a great drummer in half a year by any means, but I think it would be possible to be on the way by then.

Valknut: I think you're very right on the expanding part. I would probably still write and demo most of the guitar material. Only too bad that I don't have a lot of money .. I'd have to downgrade to one guitar and my podxt pro.

Jogeta likes this.
  7. Valknut

Valknut Banned

Damn I know how that is. Shit, if I had all the money I needed I wouldn't stop with buying a bass, I would be buying violins and trumpets and shit. Haha. But yeah if you have to sacrifice one instrument that you have invested mad time into due to money limitations, for a new instrument that you haven't played much on, I'd say its a risk. I would only venture off and play other instruments once I was in a comfortable enough situation to do so. But its all about priorities i guess. I still feel like I have a lot to learn with guitar, so its a high priority. If you have had all the fun you feel like you are going to get out of guitar, and you feel like drums are a whole new playground to have fun on then that would be different. So much crap to consider aaaa :donnie:

8. Steve08

Steve08 SS.org Regular

Don't do it IMO. Not unless you genuinely want to play the drums (as opposed to wish to play) and can actually commit to and practice your ass off. Plus, if you're going to start from scratch just to play in a band, you're going to need to work hard to develop your skill, and it'd be a waste of time if you're not good enough by the time the summer rolls around, or the band doesn't work out, etc.

What I'm trying to say is, unless you can commit to it, and enjoy playing guitar, and want to play drums just to start a band, then you really shouldn't.

As for myself, I switched from bass to drums because I just really had no inspiration to play and was burnt out on bass after 2 years with almost no experience jamming or playing in bands, although I had potential and had a pretty decent amount of skill. I didn't quit right away though, I got a drumset last summer and got into it more until around December of last year when it became my principal instrument, ie. I only play drums and I'm really into every aspect of being a drummer.

9. Valknut

Valknut Banned

Yeah man thats the fuckin truth right there. It is one thing to just have an idea and hope that it works out, but its different to actually have the passion for the instrument that drives you to be constantly hungry so you want to learn more and more no matter how hard it is. If you buy the drums and you actually don't like them, then you might have to force yourself to play so you can join the band or whatever and then you will be "burnt out" like what steve08 was saying about him playin bass. If you are really passionate about playing the drums, then you would be justified in making the switch. But you can't find out if you are passionate about it or not until after you get your hands on a kit and start playing over a period of time like steve08 did. Only then will you know if making the switch is right for you.

10. Fisch MIOLI

Fisch MIOLI SS.org Regular

I plan on doing this as well.

I've never been in that situation before but my band has gone through so many member changes, the only thing I can't do is play drums. But I would definitely love to learn.

11. Bigfan

Bigfan sixstringer

At the age of 17 I play various stringed instruments (guitars, bass, ukulele, oud) as well as drums and whatever random instruments are laying around. I don't really consciously practice any of them, but playing various different instruments really help to keep things fresh. I don't ever get bored of playing music, basically.

Don't switch instruments, just start playing whatever you want in addition to what you're already doing.

12. hxcdeathcore

hxcdeathcore SS.org Regular

I was 16 when I made the switch.

13. GalacticDeath

GalacticDeath SS.org Regular

I see no reason why you can't play both. It's not really starting over like you said. You're just adding another instrument to your repertoire. I picked up the drums about a year and a half ago. I practiced a few hours a week and in about 6 months I was in a couple bands playing metal, nothing too technical mind you. During this time I was still practicing guitar as much as I had in the past. Theres no need to abandon your guitar playing unless you really want to. By the way, I'm no longer playing drums for those bands, I'm actually playing lead guitar in a new band.

14. PyramidSmasher

PyramidSmasher Chess Dragon

I played drums for 6 years, and switched to guitar in June. The general experience of knowing how to practice, as well as playing in time cuts out all the beginner bullshit really. Stick control is gonna be a pain in the ass though!