Switch Floyd for kahler

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Breakdown, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Breakdown

Breakdown SS.org Regular

I was wondering if it would be possible and easy to switch out a crappy floyd copy for a kahler fixed bridge. the floyd copy on my guitar goes out of tune even when completely blocked and its a fucking pain in the ass to change strings .:wallbash:

2. Josh Lawson

Josh Lawson Banned

I'm not sure, but you do bring up an interesting question:
    Why hasn't someone made a drop in hard tail FR replacement bridge? That would be pretty awesome! The Mick Thompson Iby sig has a hardtail floyd, but it isn't a drop in. [​IMG]

3. Zepp88

Zepp88 Arktanian Diplomat Contributor

It would be a LOT of work in order to do that, why not get a high quality Floyd (OFR)?

4. Lee

Lee Above Contributor

Or get a Tremol-no, set it to fixed and never think about it again.

5. Elysian

Elysian Banned

:agreed: absolutely, don't mess with trying to put a kahler in a floyd equipped guitar, you'd virtually wind up rebuilding the body via filling up the back and the top routes.

6. Breakdown

Breakdown SS.org Regular

Like I said its a pain in the ass to change strings on on floyds
    haha

thanks for answering my question guys

7. angus

angus SS.org Regular

I replaced the Floyd Rose with a fixed Kahler on a POS pawnshop Ibanez PGM that I was going to give to my brother.

You don't have to fill the routes at all- Wammiworld makes an adapter plate that covers the floyd void. It's meant to be a direct bolt-on setup, but you'd end up having to shim the neck, so I chose to countersink the adapter plate flush into the body. Now the guitar is just like it came with a hardtail, but it's a Kahler, which is freaking awesome.

It's a lot of work and not really worth it. I've got to say, I don't think the tremol-no is perfect, but for most intents and purposes it is the much better idea to deal with the FR. It's also a lot cheaper if you have to pay someone to deal with it.