Sweep picking direction change legato

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by remnant24, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Try practicing it alternate picked. It's harder, yes, but if you can get it clean then it makes the question you're posing a matter of choice and phrasing. It's also great picking practice.

2. domsch1988

domsch1988 SS.org Regular

I'd always go with 1. For me personally it doesn't make sense to go with 2. You'd "rush" to change direction from the sweeping up tp 14 to the downpicked 9. After that you'd wait for the hammer on to continue the downward motion.
    The Oposite is much more fluent for me. You use the pull off time to change direction in your picking hand. Afer that it's a continuos motion down. Same on the high string. I'd pick the 10, hammer the 14 for direction change. Then pick the 10 with the sweep.

I think the difference in tone is negligable in any decent tempo. If your sweep is quarter notes in 100BPM, then it might sound different, but i'm assuming you're going for a bit fast tempo here...

3. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

I tried to figure out what I'd play and it was a mix of the two aswell as 2 other ways depending on the speed and note groupings.