Swedeath : Grave

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Great Satan, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

Grave is one of the original Swedish death metal bands who've adamantly claimed they had NOT used a hm-2 pedal, ever, on any records.
    So... exactly how did they get it to sound like they did?
    That's always baffled me, because i have a hm-2 & a couple of variants and that's pretty authentic for general swedeath, but nothing else comes close.

2. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I feel like the right fuzz pedal into a solidstate amp would get close

3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I have gotten a very convincing HM-2 sound by adjusting my delay pedal to slapback and then shortening the delay to around 20ms (you can't actually hear a delay/repeat at all). It thickened the tone considerably and did something similar to the midrange that an HM2 does. This was in the effects loop of my 6505 on the lead channel which is already brutal. It's not quite the same as my HM2 but it was startling how similar it was when I first discovered it.

I'll see if I can dial up that sound again tomorrow and do some Entombed riffs for you.

narad likes this.
  4. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

Yeah i did find stacking certain fuzzes into other dist lends a bit of grind,
    but i vaguely remember something about Grave using a ds-1..

5. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

From this rad article about the HM-2: http://www.cvltnation.com/buzzsaw-an-oral-history-of-the-hm-2-pedal/

"Ola Lindgren [Vocalist/Guitarist for Grave]: We’ve never used the HM-2 on any Grave recordings or live. In fact I’ve never even owned one hehe. In the old days, we used the Boss DS1 pedal in a Fender Bassman head. Feel free to include that in the story so that the record can be set straight"

cwhitey2 and Ebony like this.
  6. Krucifixtion

Krucifixtion Duncan Hills

That's pretty much the Nasum rig too.

7. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

Ahhh, see i knew i'd read that somewhere.
    Ds-1 into a bassman? That thing must've been turned up loud to get that kinda grind,
    wouldn't be surprised if it was just the sound of the speakers about to give up lol

I'm going to try a ds-1 into a bandit into the clean channel of a recto (via fx send), see what happens

8. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

Well, that worked lol

I used the Ds-1 into the same rig i usually use with the Hm-2 (i tend to use the amp's distortion instead of the pedal) and with the vol+tone on full, dist off, there it is. Grave tone!
    It's very very similar to the Hm-2 but a lot less bassy, more of the mids/highs and probably cuts through a bit better depending on the application, but it is definitely in the same ballpark.