Swapping pickups on my bass, advice please

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by Korbain, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Korbain

Korbain Stay negative!

So i got an alright 5 string bass, plays well, wood is fine, etc. But the pickups are shit lol

It's got the single bridge pickup and 2 smaller neck pickups at the front. Anyone recommend me some good pickups to suit that setup? I'm even considering just running a bridge pickup only because i can't find any good replacement ones for the little neck pickups.

It's my first bass guitar, i've had it for a while. But i want it to sound better, whats killing me is the little neck pickups. Most of the pickup packs i find are the standard long neck and bridge pickup sets. Hope this makes sense :hbang:

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Huh? :lol:

What are the pickups' dimensions exactly? The terms "small", "little", and "long" mean absolutely nothing when there's nothing to compare them to. Do you have pics of your bass?

Are you talking this kind of layout?
    [​IMG]

Korbain likes this.
  3. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

It sounds like you keep looking at Jazz bass pickup sets, what you want is a Precision and Jazz (P&J) pickup set. Precision bass pickups are the two tiny humbuckers roughly near the middle of the bass body (or further up towards the neck) the Jazz pickups are the long ones and that is what you have near your bridge.

Korbain likes this.
  4. Korbain

Korbain Stay negative!

lol yeah that's the setup, ill post up a pic of my bass after work if that helps more. Sorry for the lack of details, write that up before bed and know next to nothing about bass guitar equipment/parts :p have only just started playing a bit of bass guitar the past 6 monthes or so :D

So yeh, any pickups you guys could recommend for that layout? thanks heaps for the replies, bare with my noob bass guitar hardware knowledge lol

5. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

It depends on your price range and the sound you're looking for.

6. Divinehippie

Divinehippie ESaD ;)

price range would help=P. Bartolini 58CBP + 59CBJD-L1 or 58CBP + 59CBJD-L3 depending on the tone desired would be good. but they're kinda expensive.

7. Korbain

Korbain Stay negative!

price range is no real issue. Im not 100% sure on the tone i want, to be honest, i nice smooth bass tone with a nice mid punch would be great.

Some of my favourite bass players are justin chancellor, sam rivers, peter steele...i do love twiggy's bass tone too :hbang: if any of that is any help.

I been looking at the seymour duncan quarter pounder pickups...what you's rate them?