Superior Drummer Q&A

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Winspear, Jan 18, 2011.

1. ThrustTony

ThrustTony SS.org Regular

You're a life saver!

My Computer is 32 bit I think and the problem is I'm an idiot! lol

I have watched so many videos about it before I bought it but now I have it its frying my brain!

I tried dropping the files into Reaper from SD without opening SD as a virtual insrument in Reaper! My bad

What are all the tracks that open under the superior drummer track when you drop it into Reaper?

I'm confused to how I just make my own beats up and put them into Reaper as well rather than using the pre set drum beats.

I am totally new to all this.

I've had a lot of experience in the studio recording albums in a band but am totally new to home recording.

I have a shed load of tutorials on my favourites but its hard to know where to start

Thanks again!

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

No problem man :)
    All the tracks are the seperate outputs for each drum so you can have them seperated like you would recording a real drum kit.
    You can configure these outputs in the Superior mixer itself, but if you are happy with the way the tracks are layed out currently, leave it be.
    However you mentioned wanting to play your own drums so you would set that MIDI channel to record the input of your electronic drum kit. Effectively the same thing, but you are drawing your beats by playing, rather than clicking a mouse.
    Other methods include importing MIDI's from Guitar Pro, playing them on a keyboard, etc.

To make your own beats, you draw your own MIDI in the MIDI channel which is going to Superior. To clarify, that's the channel he drags the green blocks onto in the video. You should be able to open that up in a MIDI editor / piano view and draw in the grid to make your beats.

3. ThrustTony

ThrustTony SS.org Regular

I'm getting there lol

I've just figured one thing out before the other though

I've worked out how to split the drums into seperate channels using the mixer on SD and put down the midi thing that looks like a piano but can't work out how to import superior drummer samples into that to build up my own beats.

4. Winspear

Click on Grooves at the top of Superior Drummer and you'll find the beats in there :) If you take them from the very last column entitled 'kit pieces' the pieces are seperate - if from the column before that you'll get the whole beat.

Though I notice you said samples, and building your own beats? These aren't samples - just MIDI that controls the drumkit. You can draw your own in there completely from scratch or edit the ones you drag in from Superior :)

5. warped

warped SS.org Regular

I'm hoping someone else might have had this problem before.

I have installed pro tools 8.0.5, Superior Drummer 2.0 and 223 update and the Metal Foundry Expansion.

When I open Pro tools, create a new stereo multi-out instrument track and select Superior Drummer 2.0 as the first insert Superior Drummer launches and I can choose Metal Foundry.

In the superior drummer window I click on the kick drum and it sounds really good.

In the Pro Tools Midi-Editor when I press the piano roll key for the kick drum it sounds crap. I can see the kick drum on the Metal Foundry kick doing the drum hit, but from the Pro-Tools midi editor it sounds nothing like the sound I get when I click the actual kick drum in the Superior Drummer kick..

If I view the 'Mapping' tab in SD2.0 I can see the piaon roll key 'click'. When I click the key from SD2.0 it gives the good kick sound. WHen I click the piano roll key from pro-tools I can see it trigger the same key in the SD2.0 piano roll but the kick sound soft and dead.

I really want to start trying to track stuff with my Axe Fx (which I just got last week) - but am stuck with getting a decent drum sound..

Thanks guys.
    Daz

Adding some more info:

When I choose a preset (eg Fredrick Thordendall - Bleed) - the Superior drummer window sounds huge like when I click on the kick drum it has whole bunch of compression/EQ/touch or reverb etc all going on. Then when I click the pro-tools piano roll key for the kick drum it sounds flat - like none of the effects have been added.

6. warped

warped SS.org Regular

Found my problem... The Velocity on the drum hits in Pro-Tools was set to about half way, which sounded like someone tapping the drums very softly.. Increased Velocity and it appears to be going ok now..

7. iRaiseTheDead

iRaiseTheDead Ashes Of Rebirth

Hey guys, I'm getting SD2.0 soon. But It looks like I'm going to need a little bit of help. I've heard that just SD2.0 by itself isn't the greatest thing, you need all of these packs for it to sound decent. So the starter sd2.0 is about $300, and there are update packs? I also read that updates for this were free though? how would you go about expansions and stuff? is it... SD2.0->free updates for that version->BUY expansion->free updates for that updated version?

8. Winspear

^ Not true at all. The Avatar (default) kit is fine. There's so many clips around here made with that that sound just great. Updates are free yes but not expansion packs. Your little arrows thing at the end is correct.
    But seriously, Avatar is fine.

9. iRaiseTheDead

is avatar just a term for the "starting SD2 kit?"

10. Winspear

Yep :) It's name in the kit selector is N.Y (New York) Avatar.

11. iRaiseTheDead

Okay, thank you for all of your help man :)

12. fps

fps Kit

I have a question, since SD is all files, will your mix of the drums sound exactly the same no matter what you use when bouncing and burning to cd? As in, are preamps and anything else plugged into your computer taken totally out of the equation? Might be a dumb question, but I'm asking it

13. Winspear

^ Correct

14. fps

fps Kit

Thanks EE,
    another question,
    when you put the kit to multi outs and the tracks all go to separate Aux inputs, suddenly the kit sounds completely, completely different. I didn't expect that. Does everyone tend to use the multi outs and then mix in groups on each of those?

15. Metalus

Metalus JP BFR Whore

So I'm really trying to achieve this drum sound but with no luck. Anyone care to give me some tips and suggestions?

16. mlancaster1

mlancaster1 SS.org Regular

Ok so I just loaded superior drummer on my computer and all the sound libraries on my internal hard drive. Once I get an external hard drive can i move over the libraries to the external to free up more space?

17. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

Yeah, you can you just got to locate the library after you've moved it.

18. Aaron_auroras

Aaron_auroras SS.org Regular

So i just re installed this thing 3 times and i guess its not my laptop because i completely reformat it from factory setting and its brand new from 2011. I get these red caution marks on the screen and i tried everything i seen that there was a problem with reaper 64 bit so i tried on 32 i have no idea what is going bad it just no sound is coming up at all can anyone help i have reaper 4.13, windows 7 If anyone can help i would be so happy!

Attached Files:

19. nojyeloot

nojyeloot SS.org Regular

www.toontrack.com & register your computer, follow the steps it gives.

Then open Toontrack solo, load S2.0 and it will ask you to activate it. Do so, then you'll have it available in your DAW if it's set up to scan where the VST is located.

20. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

If your copy is legit, you need to register and update.