Superior Drummer Q&A

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Winspear, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Xiphos68

Xiphos68 SS.org Regular

Yes that's what I meant.

I'm sorry I can't explain it thoroughly, but is there no way to do the same thing in garageband as well?

2. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

Asif you didn't baffle me before haha :D

With garageband I have little to no idea mate. Why bother though Logic is better?

3. Xiphos68

Xiphos68 SS.org Regular

Money.
    :lol:

4. eventhetrees

eventhetrees What's a Panini?

How can I make new mics for cymbals on Superior?

I'm trying to separate the cymbals in Superior. I'm using the Avatar Kit with X-Drums from Metal Foundry as Cymbals...anyway I can create new mics to assign to each cymbal so I can pan them as I'd like to?

5. eventhetrees

How can I make new mics for cymbals on Superior?

I'm trying to separate the cymbals in Superior. I'm using the Avatar Kit with X-Drums from Metal Foundry as Cymbals...anyway I can create new mics to assign to each cymbal so I can pan them as I'd like to?

6. Iheartmidgetbooty

Iheartmidgetbooty Recording Studio Nub

Right click on your separate X-Drum and On the right it should say "x-edit" or something like that. It should have a silver bar called "microphone assignment". Go into that and click in an empty space to create a new mic. You can take that mic wherever you want it, but you will have to create your x-drum mics seperately to have those new mics interact with them. You can then go into your mixer and configure channel settings (add comp,EQ,filter and so on...) , you can also separate them in the mixer by panning wherever you like. Hope that helps! I did that to add my splashes to my avatar kit and it worked for me that way. :)

7. eventhetrees

Hmm I'm gonna try that, cause I see the new button but it did nothing haha, I can drag things down and it didn't do anything...let's see if this works.

edit: I can only make a new "mic" if I drag something down, but then it doesn't really work at all :s

8. Iheartmidgetbooty

Iheartmidgetbooty Recording Studio Nub

What I mean is that you can create a mic for your x-drum and then go to mic assignment and mess with it there so that it can be placed in your mixer section. From there you can ultimately change your settings to suit your liking. You want those extra mics because you can bus them to each other and then side chain your effects to your proper ambient channel. This makes for a realistic cymbal that has tons of room and it's own room, at that. I can show you more in-depth with screenies when I get home. It's complicated but it kinda makes sense. If you importing cymbals from another set, it's going to have a tiny bit of difference in OH. You can create your own overhead by creating your X-Drums' own bus channel, that you route all your x-drums into. The trick is getting your own x-drums' mics setup, because the avatar already has tons of mics - it doesnt default them automatically in the mixer. (which sucks)

If you still need help in understanding just be specific and I'll get you around that. It's pretty tricky - took me a few hours to overcome the concept. Lol

9. eventhetrees

Hmm I'm kinda getting it. Screen Shots would help, I'm using all X-Drum cymbals except for hi hats.

10. Chuggriffage

Chuggriffage hack riffer

I'm still a noob at DAW programming, but i did discover a trick for SD2 in FL Studio. You right click a channel in the mixer on SD2 and select multi track. Then you click the gear icon in the VST window in FL Studio, click the processing tab, and then click automap outputs. That will give each channel in the SD2's mixer a corresponding channel in FL Studio. Then its all about linking all those channels into one volume channel so you have a volume control before it reaches the master channel. The other cool thing is the fact that you can link to an FX channel and drop a reverb control over said volume channel. It really makes a difference to be able to control the volume of each instrument in the kit TWICE and even provide effects before reaching the master channel.

11. Bryan Griffin

Bryan Griffin SS.org Regular

I know this post is pretty old but I just saw Chimp blasting out some SERIOUS beats on his MIDI keyboard - the guy is better with the keys than I am with a full kit :bowdown:

12. ThrustTony

ThrustTony SS.org Regular

What's Drum tracker all about?

It comes up saying I have to register it to my computer but when I put in the code it says it's wrong.

I've installed Superior drummer and toontrack solo and ez player with no hassle.

Do I need to register ez player as well cause theres a code for that in the box aswell

13. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Drum Tracker as far as I know is Toontracks sample replacer, like Drumagog. Use it to trigger a MIDI kit like Superior with a real recording, for sample replacement.
    I seem to remember thinking the same question when I bought Superior. I think I realised Drum Tracker isn't actually included and I didn't own the code for it.
    Can't remember if Ezplayer needs registering...if it doesn't work then I guess so haha

14. ThrustTony

Ok cheers.

Do I need to buy drum tracker to use a digital kit with reaper and superior drummer then?

I want to play a digital kit and have it come up on Reaper as superior drummer samples.

Drum tracker was on the first disc of superior drummer but I'm not sure why its there if I can't register it. lol

15. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Yeah, who knows why it's on there haha but I remember now my exact same confusion. It's definitely a different product that you do not own.
    I presume they sent you Superior in a box with the CD of EVERYTHING they have ever released, as they did with me?
    Seems they just like to ship multiple products at once to tempt you to buy the keys/so you don't have to wait/have a partial download if you do decide to buy the keys.

No, Drum Tracker converts AUDIO signal to MIDI, so you use it if you're not happy with studio recorded drum sounds (or even for creative things, like drumming with your fingers on microphones and triggering samples. This is fun).

Your electronic kit outputs MIDI, just like a MIDI keyboard - which is what Superior Drummer is designed to receive :)

Drum kit>Computer>MIDI channel in Reaper>Superior Drummer>Audio channels

16. ThrustTony

Ah cool. That saves me loads of time cause I don't need to use drum tracker at this stage so I can crack on and learn more about using superior drummer rather than buying drum tracker.

Thanks for all your advice.

You've helped me loads!

17. ThrustTony

I can't get any sound from superior drummer in Reaper.

I've gone through EZ player on superior drummer and dragged and dropped a template beat into Reaper on a track.

Theres sound from superior drummer but none from reaper although I can see it's playing.

Any ideas what it could be?

I've checked the channel is not muted.

Just dropped a guitar file in and theres no volume on that either

18. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

64 bit computer?
    EDIT: Sorry. Should've read the last sentence first.
    You need to update Superior online for it to output sound on 64 bit (unless the new discs include the 64 bit version).

However as your guitars aren't working either I guess that's not the problem. Have you done anything like this before? Are your outputs set right?

19. ThrustTony

I don't think so cause I tried to download Reaper as 64 bit and it told me where to go lol

I have some vocals and guitar playing now but still no Superior drummer drums.

The vocals and guitar are just the media files included on Reaper just to test it

20. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Ok cool, so the problem is within Superior Drummer.
    Just to make sure, go to start and right click my computer. Under properties it will tell you if you have a 64 bit operating system. If that's the case then the S2.0 update will likely fix it.

Have a look at this video to make sure your Superior signal chain is correct. It's EZdrummer instead of Superior but same deal. The problem he encountered in the video is likely due to the lack of update.