Superior Drummer Q&A

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Winspear, Jan 18, 2011.

1. tripguitar

tripguitar Settler of Catan

well i guess my computer sucks then, or my pro tools is too outdated or something. i changed the buffer size to low, med, high, and none of it made a difference... oh well. Thanks Ethereal.

2. Andrew

Andrew SS.org Regular

hey guys

i bought a dm10 electronic drumset today and was wondering why when i hit "learn" for certain cymbals the cymbal will play... but the kick drum or a tom will also play with the cymbal. can't seem to fix this. the kick drum and tom play fine.. but i went to assign a china to a cymbal.. for some reason my floor tom plays with the china. cant get it to stop!

im also not having much luck with cymbal chokes. following the manual i should
    "1. Select the appropriate Cymbal ʻCrashʼ Articulation
    2. Switch the ʻEdit Articulation Onlyʼ filter ON
    3. Enable Envelope section
    4. Toggle the switch to the far right to Aftertouch
    5. Set the ʻreleaseʼ and ʻholdʼ parameters to taste"

but no such luck still. chokes do nothing :[ (work on the module)

3. Corny

Corny SS.org Regular

Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying Superior Drummer because I really like Toontrack products in general and because of the great reputation of SD.

It's just one thing that bothers me a bit: Since it's being used that often in today's professional (not only) metal productions, I kinda got tired of the drum tone you might want to call "typical Metal Foundry tone".
    It's very likely though that there are many recordings with SD drums I heard without even recognizing, because it's so versatile.

So what I really want to know is: Is the SD plus Metal Foundry capable of more than the typical modern metal sound? I really dig the production of european 90s metal like Hypocrisy, some power metal bands, all that stuff. You know, the phase when the metal productions got really good/clean, but drum sampling wasn't that big yet.

Would be great to get some answers or even links to SD-recordings in that vein.

4. Fat-Elf

Fat-Elf Banned

Okay, so I opened up S2.0 in Cubase but suddenly it asks me to authorize it on my PC although the Toontrack site shows that I already have it authorized on my PC. It didn't ask it yesterday as my PC wasn't connected to internet and today I'm using a different connection than usually, so could that have fvcked it up somehow? According to the Toontrack site, I have 3/4 authorizations left, but I really wouldn't want to spend two on the same PC..

5. Hybrid138

Hybrid138 SS.org Regular

Hey guys, I usually right drums on guitar pro and import the midi into Grarageband so my drums are obviously quite weak sounding. Is SD good for using imported midi and Garageband? Also, my computer is a few years old and I was wondering if you can use the software on several computers or is it a one computer usage kind of thing?

6. tripguitar

tripguitar Settler of Catan

try checking the velocity of your midi notes. think of velocity as "how hard the drums are hit" i dont know about guitar pro or garageband, but the default in my pro tools was something like 96, where as the maximum is 127. so when i clicked a note it, it would register a hit with a relatively weak velocity. took me a while to figure it out.

if you already have all the midi in garageband, highlight it all, and somewhere in the menus you should be able to change all the velocities to whatever you want, instead of doing it one by one.

7. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

It'd be better if he did do it one at a time though. A real drummer doesn't hit every note with the same force after all. Velocities can be edited pretty easily in guitar pro prior to being exported I believe too.

8. Hybrid138

Hybrid138 SS.org Regular

I usually just have my drum parts at "fff" and use GarageBand's drum sounds so that really limits what I can do. I also write drum parts in one track so editing individual notes is trickier. I was hoping SD would give me more options and better tone

9. the hot tuna

the hot tuna SS.org Regular

SD2 is $149 on amazon right now... pretty awesome.

10. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Are there any good guides on how to shape your own sound in SD? I'm getting tired of having the stock sound on all my demos, but I don't know where to start when it comes to finding my own sound. I'm using Ableton Live 9, if that matters.

11. Reganito

Reganito SS.org Regular

12. nmh7205

nmh7205 Eastern Harmony

How did you get the NY avatar. Im having the same problem

13. allshallperishfan

allshallperishfan SS.org Regular

Ok i have a question . I have been running the drumkit from hell in superior and i really like the way everything sounds except the kick. I love the kick from the metal machine kit i have. How can i take the kick from the metal machine kit and put it into the drumkit from hell?

14. Metaldestroyerdennis

Metaldestroyerdennis Heavens Football Bat

x-drum

15. Smm10000

Smm10000 SS.org Regular

Does anyone know of a way to, or tutorial for setting up an easier way to map the samples? particularly with SD2 and Studio one. This giant on screen piano just isn't cutting it

16. Merge

Merge SS.org Regular

In the drum programming video that Misha made, he was editing his drums in a window. Where is that window located in EZdrummer?

17. neoclassical85

neoclassical85 SS.org Regular

Its not located in EZ drummer, its a midi map located in your DAW. EZ Drummer just reads midi and plays back the samples. If youre using reaper open a new track and click insert > empty midi item, and then double click on the empty midi track to open the midi editor.

18. Merge

Merge SS.org Regular

Thanks for the help, neoclassical85!! I'm new to this, so I'm on here just looking for advice. Another question: after opening the midi editor, would I drag my the song out of EZdrummer and into the empty midi track??

19. neoclassical85

neoclassical85 SS.org Regular

No problem dude. What you do is, in the empty midi editor each one of those keyboard keys represents a piece of the drum kit, you click in the grid to add/remove drum hits until you have a beat that you want to use, and then play it back in your DAW. Hope that helps. Also there are tons of tutorials on youtube :)

20. Merge

Merge SS.org Regular

Thanks again. Right after I made that last post, I went onto Youtube and watched a few videos. All of them were very helpful.