Superior Drummer Q&A

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Winspear, Jan 18, 2011.

1. DjankyDjents

DjankyDjents SS.org Regular

are you using a SD preset or one you found on the net? Most of our sound comes from inside the SD mixer (it came from hours and hours of playing with all the SD setup. Also throwing a small limiter on it doesn't hurt haha. I wish i could give out our preset, but my drummer would killllll me. I say start from scratch and look at what some other presets do for the sound (especially ones that you can find online). Play around with some sounds you like until it satisfies you. Then take it further haha

2. Deathbykidd

Deathbykidd SS.org Regular

Like everyone else said, for my kicks I usually have a bus sidechained and have a second compressor that is cranked so the kick cuts through a bit. Just mix it in to where it sounds right. It makes it a little louder and more punchy. Im not sure if any of that's helpful or not.

3. greglecompte

greglecompte SS.org Regular

much of the time it works better to bring everything else down, than push the drums up to clipping. Then you can just turn up the master fader and use whatever mastering chain you like to bring it to final levels. many people would rather add compression than pull everything else down. Doing so effects the mix not always in a bad way but it takes away the option of not compressing the hell out of it.

4. Jameslewis777

Jameslewis777 I am the Overlord.

I do this same thing but I have the same bus receive snare and toms as well. Works for me.

EDIT: Didn't want to double post... Also make sure your MIDI velocities are maxed at 127 (except for ghost notes and junk like that, obviously). A lot of MIDI defaults the velocities to like 64 or 96 or something like that. I've found that to really get power and volume out of the hits it helps to maximize the velocity.

5. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Compression most likely...

6. Tree

Tree Bald Bear

I'm gonna go ahead and say, "no" to this. No drummer hits everything as hard as they can for an entire song, so why would you program your drums that way?
    make your velocities realistic

7. Jameslewis777

Jameslewis777 I am the Overlord.

I agree. I was speaking very generally and quickly. I guess what I meant by what I said is, if your MIDI defaults to a velocity of say, 64, I doubt your drummer hits everything HALF as hard as he could hit it the whole time too. Not to mention, in MY experience the majority of MIDI drum samples I've messed with sound better/fuller at a higher velocity. I tend to maximize the velocity of every hit to 127 in the beginning and then humanize and adjust manually and according to the specific part. That being said, aside from "ghost notes", I rarely drop my velocities below 100 as my particular SD preset sounds AWFUL at lower velocities. Tin cans, anyone?

8. TallestFiddle

TallestFiddle SS.org Regular

compress your kick and snare so you just let the transient of the attack through, that should let you raise the volume and preserve the part that you want to keep. make sure you mess with the attack on your limiter so you're letting the right transients through there also.

Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

9. Rustee

Rustee †The Skyrim Bard†

Parallel compression is your friend.

10. Kaickul

Kaickul ΛTRΛMΞNTVM

Is Superior Drummer better than EZDrummer in terms of overall usability and quality of sound?

11. Handbanana

Handbanana SS.org Regular

Ez is easier. Quality of sound goes to SD but, its unprocessed for the most part. The mixes in EZ are pretty good. I Xdrum EZ into SD.

12. Andrew

Andrew SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

importing some midi songs off guitar pro just to look off some parts and learn. anyone know why the notes are so close together? ive tried zooming in with no help

13. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

Zooming in will help, because there you are seeing like 20 bars in a cm of space.
    However I expect what you mean is that when you zoom in, even though you can now see the individual notes, their length extends until the next note making it hard to see at a glance?
    I'm not sure what DAW you are using but you need to activate a 'percussive view' or something that will show all notes as just a dot regardless of their length.

14. Andrew

Andrew SS.org Regular

exactly. i'm using reaper.

15. niffnoff

niffnoff Just another SunBro

16. fiveyears

fiveyears SS.org Regular

17. depths of europa

depths of europa Depths of Europa

I've just recently installed Metal Foundry and, I'm trying to decide what drums I should choose instead of the avatar kit i was previously using.

What is the most popular kit/drums around here?

Any recommendations?

18. depths of europa

depths of europa Depths of Europa

Anyone have any suggestions?

19. tripguitar

tripguitar Settler of Catan

Hey you guys using superior drummer... does this sound right?

I'm running Pro Tools 8 with an Mbox Mini 2 on a 13" 2011 Macbook Pro (non-retina, i5 processor, 8 gigs of ram).

If i look at the CPU usage with a session where superior drummer is disabled (not just bypassed) my CPU (RTAS) hovers between 5-10%. Looks good, seems normal.

As soon as i activate superior drummer, my CPU (RTAS) skyrockets to between 75% and 90% and is fluttering about jumping as low as 30% for a second and then back to 90%. This then means i can use about 3 EQ plug ins before i run out of processing power and start getting CPU errors in Pro Tools.

Is it normal for superior drummer 2 (Full install, but with bleeds, ambient mics and room mics turned off. whole kit is only 650Mb) to hog this much CPU? does EZ drummer take up less?

20. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear Vendor

You need to up your buffer setting (latency). What's it at currently?
    Ordinary practice if you don't have a killer CPU is to track with low buffer for good latency, and then up it to apply the plugins and mix. Higher buffer = higher latency, bad for recording, but less CPU usage, more plugins available.
    Superior Drummer isn't big on the CPU so I'm guessing you've got your latency set super low.