Superior Drummer Q&A

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Winspear, Jan 18, 2011.

1. johnnyarrow1215

johnnyarrow1215 SS.org Regular

I feel like I'm going mental, this is driving me mad!, bought Superior (v2.2) from Amazon a few days ago and I just cannot get it to install properly. I have Cubase Artist 7, win 7, 64 bit, 2.1Gz, 8 RAM.
    I downloaded the latest version from Toontrack website (I think it was v2.3.1) but stil no luck. After putting in disc 1 I loaded up the superior installer ok, then I begun installing discs 2,3,4,5 for the sound library. This seems to complete ok but I can't find the main program anywhere?! There's no shortcut on my desktop, although I seem to have managed to install Toontrack Solo & Drumtracker ok (although they wont load or work due to a combo of error messages and having no 'pathways' to the sounds), and I cant find it in Cubase. I've updated the 'plugin information' tab in Cubase but still no luck.
    Sorry about the lengthy message chaps, I'm sure you all know the score though.
    Really appreciate any help. Will reply to any help within half a day each time.
    Thanks in advance,

Johnny.

2. xplanet2112

xplanet2112 SS.org Regular

Hi Johnny

Just start up Toontrack Solo and it will give you the option of starting SDx, if you have not authenticated it yet, you will have to first before you use it anyway. Hope this helps, that's the usual way to use it stand alone as there is no SDx icon, you start it from the TT Solo icon.

I don't have any knowledge of cubase but I am sure that it should be in there for you to select as a midi instrument after it has done a scan of new plug ins... which I am guessing it does automatically when it detects a new plug in has been installed. other than that I would hit the TT forums or message them direct.

3. Stroked

Stroked SS.org Regular

Ok I have searched around quite a bit for my answer.....all over the interwebs and this site.

I have recently got a recording rig up and running. I have the Superior 2.2.3 and just purchased some midi drum files from a company called SlamTracks.
    I imported the files into the "My Midi Files" folder. I can audition them from the superior window and they sound great with my drum presets. But now I dont know how to actually "drag and drop" the samples into my project. I had been using "Official Toontrack" midi bundles before, so all I did was drop them straight into the midi channel with no issues. But now with these "3rd party" midi files I just purchased, I drop one into my project and Cubase opens up up to 3 vst tracks to load a small fill file and does not have my metal foundry preset with it. It sounds like shit basically.
    I am sure this is an easy fix.....as the title says I am a total noob.
    Thanks in advance everyone

4. xplanet2112

Hi, Have you tried placing the midi files into the TT midi library folder rarther than the my midi folder? Try that as SDx will not 'see' them unless you do. When they are copied or imported into the TT midi library folder, you will see them in SDx along with the official midi files but your own imported ones will be under 'my midi files' on the left where the offical TT drums of death and destruction and power baby killing files will be.

Hope this helps!!

5. Stroked

Stroked SS.org Regular

Ok so now I have all the midi files showing up in EZplayer, I can audition them and they all seem to work.
    But when I go to drop one into my open midi track in cubase, cubase opens up its own vst track at the bottom of my project.
    So I have the same problem still.
    Maybe I need to delete them all and start completely over.

Or maybe I need to be walked through step by step on this. Here is how I had been doing it:
    1.) Open new project in Cubase 5
    2.) F11 for VST devices. Open Ezplayer and Superior with 1 midi track created.
    3.) Set midi input to EZplayer and midi out to Superior
    4.) Open EZplayer and drag and drop drum loops no problem into the created midi track.

Is the above process correct? Or am I retarded?

Anyway sorry for the newb questions.

6. xplanet2112

Hi

I am not sure why you are using EZ player? I have never used it, ever, and it might be that you are making things complicated for yourself by doing this. If your midi files are in EZ player, then, I don't know, shouldn't they be in the SDx 'Grooves' page on the GUI?

Try this, Just open your daw, select a track, choose SDx as your midi instrument, wait for SDx to load up, go to the 'Grooves' page and if you have put your new midi files in the TT midi folder, they should be there. Select your chosen file, then just drag it on to the track that you have selected for SDx in your DAW. That's all I do... simples...

I am using Logic Pro 9 so if might be different but I can't see it being that complicated because I also use Ableton too and it's the same process.

Good luck and if you're still having trouble then I suggest contacting TT or using their forum. Everyone has had these type of issues when they are learning the ropes.

7. Stroked

Stroked SS.org Regular

Thanks for the replies.
    I figured it should have been as simple as drag and drop.....but I still have an issue. I will go buck the TT forums now.
    Just so damn frustrating.....I have no idea why Cubase is opening a VST track as soon as I drag and drop the loop in. WHEN I fix this I'll come back and post the solution in case some other poor newb has this same issue.

8. Icecold

Icecold SS.org Regular

Is anyone else using SD2.0 in Pro Tools 11? Mine seems to keep crashing whenever I load it into an instrument track.

9. xplanet2112

Hi Icecold

Are you using the RTAS format?

Does your computer have enough memory to cope with SDx loading in 500+MB of sound files into your memory?

If it's PT11, there may well still be bugs in it. Again, I think if you speak to TT to let them know of this issue it may be of benifit to them too.

Not much help I know but it's all I can think of right now.

10. xplanet2112

Hi

Glad you managed to get at least something sorted out. have you tried looking in Cubase's setting? It may well be that it is automatically set up to open a new VST track, there maybe something in the prefs or settings section that's making Cubase do this.

What happens when you open othere VSTs? Try openning up a softsynth (shhhh!) and see what happens. Get hold of a (free) third party one to create the SDx situation as much as possible.

11. Icecold

Icecold SS.org Regular

Both in PT10 with RTAS it crashes, and PT 11 with AAX it's crashing.
    I'm running 8 gigs of ram in my computer (13 inch Macbook Bro Mid-2010 model)

I'm suspecting it's a bug in PT11, butwith 10, idk anymore.

12. fungwabus117

fungwabus117 SS.org Regular

I have a question simply about levels here. When I'm listening to something on let's say bulb or nolly's soundcloud, the snare and kick sound so loud and massive (obviously in a good way). I'm wondering how people get these instruments to such levels without clipping and essentially raping the entire mix?

If I were to try and bring the kick/snare up to similar levels, the aforementioned bad things would happen. I guess what I'm really trying to ask is, what is the mixing fundamental behind reaching these kinds of levels? Is it something on the master bus, compression applied in the right places? Any info on this kind of stuff would be awesome.

13. Larcher

Larcher fpoon Contributor

mastering does that

14. fungwabus117

Is there a particular master element in particular that contributes to this though? Is it limiting? If anything whenever I add a limiter the transients get pounded, which results in less of the "big smack" vibe.

15. Pezshreds

Pezshreds SSBRO.org Regular

Eq'ing helps too man. If you're cranking the eq's at certain ranges on kicks and say bass, they'll be fighting each other to be heard.

16. Handbanana

Handbanana SS.org Regular

Just compression or throw a limiter in the mix. Make sure your velocities are right and you're good to go.

17. fungwabus117

For sure, I definitely try to keep this in mind. But for example, the EQs on my kick are 90% cuts, same with bass etc. All done strategically to give each other space and yadayadayada. But even with this, the kick and snare don't sound too huge. What mixing processes allow you to crank up volume, but not kill dynamics/transients? I realize this is kinda like asking "how can I eat a shitload of chocolate and not get fat!?!" but still...

18. Pezshreds

Pezshreds SSBRO.org Regular

The drums I do for songs don't require fattish sounding kicks, more crisp and defined. I got mine balanced from hours and hours of mixing over time perfecting the sound I wanted haha. I just use EQ on the kick drum (I have it on a separate track to the rest of the SD2.0 drum kit with just the kick drum and everything else muted). So I'd say compression and a limiter would definitely help, and just fiddle with the eq and bring the levels up until it's where you want it to be.

19. Larcher

Larcher fpoon Contributor

In the mastering stage, I use a couple of different compressors, a limiter and a maximizer, it's alot of trial and error until you get the hang of it though.

There are plenty of videos out there to help you get where you want to be. I would suggest reading Ermz's Systematic Mixing guide, and watching mastering videos on youtube

20. DarkNe0

DarkNe0 SS.org Regular

I've seen a video tutorial but I need further explanation..

On Reaper I could directy add a multi-channeled instrument, but on Ableton I just can't figure out how.