Superior Drummer 3 Announced

Discussion in 'Drums & Percussion' started by ZombieLloyd, Aug 15, 2017.

1. ZombieLloyd

ZombieLloyd Not one 7 string

Hey guys, I just got an email that Superior Drummer 3 has been announced. Here's a link to the announcement page https://www.toontrack.com/superior-drummer-3-announcement/. What is everyone's thoughts on the announcement? I, for one, am excited because they're bringing that beat search feature from EZDrummer 2.

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

I wasn't too excited considering I've always used Superior 2 as close to being a real kit recording as possible. By that I mean I choose my samples, route them out to individual DAW channels, and then never look at Superior again. So things like the mixer, built in rhythm editor etc don't interest me. Cool nonetheless.
    Great to see 3rd party sample support however! That's a huge one. Along with the audio to midi/drum replacement. Essentially killing Drumagog with a great all-in-one option.
    More samples is always great, 5 stock kits is pretty awesome!
    Love the advanced surround sound recording and i'll be interested in using those as ambient mics. However I am refraining from getting into surround sound. I'll become obsessive and it'll take too much of my time, only making me angry that probably 0.5% of the listener base will ever hear it as intended haha.

ThePhilosopher and ZombieLloyd like this.
  3. ZombieLloyd

Before I would "write" my own drum beats, I used EZDrummer 2's rhythm editor and beat search function, a lot of the features coming to SD would have been good for me up to like, when I started making my music under "Phrygian" earlier this year. I'm much like you now, found the samples that work for me, EQ'd them to my liking on seperate DAW channels and never looked at Superior again.

I agree that the 3rd party sample support is pretty big. The audio to midi doesn't really affect me since I don't play drums in real life in any capacity. The advanced surround sound and ambient mic thing sounds pretty cool. I don't really have the setup for surround sound so again, doesn't really matter to me too much but its cool nonetheless. I think I'll also have to get that SSD with all the samples on it though since 235GB is literally around half my iMac hard drive storage. But I'll most likely upgrade my iMac this Christmas so we'll see.

4. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

All the new features look pretty nice, and considering the library of sounds you get, the $200 upgrade price seems worth it.

I'll definitely be buying it, even if only for the new sounds and future expansions. 3rd party samples is definitely a plus.

AxeHappy and ZombieLloyd like this.
  5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Anyone else grabbed this yet?

It took me a couple days to get it all downloaded and installed (busy weekend plus the workweek, I'd start a bundle downloading whever I was home, then start it installing and start the next one downloading when next I was around), but I've spent a couple hours on it the last couple nights, swapping it out for Superior 2.3 on some existing projects I've worked with.

I dig it. There are a TON of options in terms of swapping around different snares and toms and whatnot (and it's cool that when you swap snares, the image of the snare changes in the interface) but by and large they all sound pretty natural to me, respond well, and seem less "polished" out of the box than Avatar did. That's a pro and a con; the down side is that you're going to need to do more work mixing the kits (unless you're relying on their included presets, and they had some big-name engineers like Chris Lord-Alge and Bob Rock do presets), but it also means you have a lot more flexibility in the way you can shape your drum sounds and tailor the mix. And, the overall realism seems quite good so far, though I haven't pushed the limits extensively.

There are some nice ease-of-use tweaks as well - you can now select multiple mics at once in the Mixer interface, so, for example, if you want to route all of your toms to the same track in your DAW, you simply click and select them all, and then edit the routing on one track to change them all. Initial routing used to be a pain in the dick if I just dropped S2 into a blank DAW and left it stereo while sketching out ideas, but it's pretty efficient in 3.0. (you of course need to have the tracks available).

That stuff however is less important to me than how the kit sounds, and my very initial impressions are that overall Superior 3.0 sounds more natural and less processed than Avatar did in 2.0. I think it's a definite step forward in terms of realism; over the next couple weeks I'll be trying to spend more time with it to figure out just how far that step goes.

6. brutalwizard

brutalwizard Pretty Your Petunia

Ive been digging it the interface alone is worth it to me. They have really taken midi drum production to a whole new level.

7. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Oh sweet. It's a pity my dentist is getting money that would otherwise have gone into this. But soon.

8. Kaura

Kaura SS.org Regular

Sounds really tempting. Bought GGD earlier this year but haven't really used it much, especially since the multi-out stuff is such a pain and it's also very taxing on my pc since it's Kontakt-based. I hope Toontrack offers an upgrade discount since I already own SD2.

9. ZombieLloyd

I'm glad to hear good things about it. I haven't been able to pick it up yet, but I hope I'll be able to soon.

They do offer an upgrade version that is cheaper. From comparing prices online, it's close to 50%. £287 for the full version, £147 for the upgrade from 2.0.

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, in the US it was $199, and it allows you to continue running both S2 and S3.

I spent some more time playing with this last night, and not entirely across the board, but damn near, I'm finding I prefer 3 to 2 in a mix.

11. Kaura

Kaura SS.org Regular

Nice. Might pick it up once I get my next paycheck, but god damn. Over 200GB for the full library. Looks like I need to get a third hard drive just to install the whole thingy.

12. ZombieLloyd

Funnily enough, you can buy an SSD with the 250GB sound library separately. Though you would still need to buy SD3 for a grand total of like $6-700.

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

It took me a couple days of starting a file downloading, leaving, coming home later that day, installing the first and starting the enxt downloading, leaving, etc before I got the thing installed. :lol: I'm on a Mac with a 2TB drive so space isn't exactly a concern, but it's NOT a fast install. :lol:

14. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

What year is your Mac?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I honestly don't remember. 2012-13, maybe?

16. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I actually only downloaded the first few parts of it. Mostly because I'm lazy and didn't want to wait any more. (It only took a couple hours to get the stuff I did, so I'd totally be able to manage getting the rest before I have to pick up my fiance for work today in two hours.)

It's all around an improvement. The interface is nice, and I'm happy with the new features in general. I couldn't care less about the midi library stuff, but the drum replacement stuff is insanely cool and pretty accurate if you have the stems. I mostly just bought it because I want the future toontrack products and a massive stock library is already cool... For the $200 upgrade price it's a damn steal. The added effects are also pretty cool. SD 2.0 was incredibly limited and you were essentially REQUIRED to use external effects. SD 3.0 gives you a bit more versatility, and while it's still ideal to use external effects, the ones you get included are quite a bit nicer.

It's a definite recommend in my book. Anyone turned off by the size can get away with skipping half the downloads (like my lazy ass.) I think you only NEED the first one or two files (which are still pretty big, but not the 250gb or whatever it is big) so it's only excessively space hungry if you want it to be. Pretty sure the last couple files are only the weird surround mics, which are cool for extra ambiance, but certainly not needed to get a great sound out of it. Some of the presets, which I usually never use, are actually really cool. I almost hate to admit that I've been almost exclusively using the "Ludmire" preset for my tracks lately. Such a sick drum sound out of that kit.

17. FIXXXER

FIXXXER ¯\(°_o)/¯

absolutely not liking it, well the program/sampler itself is amazing, especially what you can do with MIDI.
    unfortunately this does not help if the sound is not what you are looking for and in my case i just don't like
    how it sounds, can' thelp it. hopefully i can sell it ASAP and buy something else...

18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

...so use one of the other drum kits it includes, try some of the presets, or mix it like you would a regular drum kit. The default sounds are relatively natural, unprocessed drum sounds - there's a LOT of flexibility with what you can do in a mix.

Like Superior 2, and arguably to a greater extent than 2 was (Avatar was already pretty polished out of the box), Superior 3 isn't a "plug and play" solution to drop in some midi and get super-processed, already mixed drum sounds. If that's what you want, EzDrummer is the way to go. Superior is a way to generate convincing unmixed drum sounds for you to mix.

19. FIXXXER

FIXXXER ¯\(°_o)/¯

it's not that simple i'm afraid...

yes, the drums are natural/unprocessed and yes, i absolutely hate how these sound!
    i was always a fan of the Toontrack cymbals and always hated how the shells sounded
    but now they managed to fuck up the Cymbals aswell!

there is not much to choose from when 90% of all the samples sound like shit (to me!)

this has also nothing to do with raw/unprocessed and super processed drums, that's not the reason i do
    not like it, it's the overall tonal character of the raw samples.

the presets are also not that good, even the Andy Sneap presets sound really really bad to me,
    so that much about "you can process them to sound good"

when i say i do not like the sound i am talking mostly about how the drumkits sound as a whole.
    many kit pieces have unwanted noise. many sound extremely muffled, others are piercing, the overall balance is not good.
    realism is also not that great, even when i set the layers to unlimited it sounds very artificial, especially on
    fast played notes (using the Toontrack MIDI files so it's not about bad programming ;))