Superbowl

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Chris, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

Armed forces band: :yesway:
    Alicia Keys: :yesway:, awesome
    Paul McCartney: Great stage show, but man, what a one-dimensional artist. :noway:

2. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

Superwhat?

3. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

you know, the superbowl... football's big money making event ;)

what really cooks me, is that it was in florida... no where near the NE or Phily fans :rolleyes:

4. macalpine88

macalpine88 SS.org Regular

they always put it in warm places,in the south. some philly fan i read about remorgaged his house just to get tickets :nuts:

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I don't remember the armed forces band or alicia keys... Mccartney, I do, though. You know, the man really doesn't have that good a voice. At all. It's just a case of right place right time - he was one of the Beatles, and as such had a HUGE impact in shaping what a good rock voice should be, and thus can get away with it today. ;)

"Hey Jude" is really one hell of a pop song - that builds so much momentum by the time it ends. But aside from that... Americorp sponsored this, and we get "Baby You can Drive My Car," "Get Back," (I think), and... shit, what was the third... Oh yeah, "Live and Let Die." Anyone see anything a little odd in that, that an incurance firm finances the thing, and three of the four songs are fairly obscure tunes of his about driving cars, getting things you're owed, and dying? It's like, "Gee, could we make the subliminal messages any more blatant here?" ;)

Frankly, though the game itself was a bit of a letdown and I ended up enjoying the ads as much as the game. My favorite was the FedEx "Ten things that must be in a sucessful Super Bowl ad campaign" one... 1.) Celebrety... 2.) Large Animal... 3.) Dancing animal... 4.) Cute kid... 5.) Groin Kick... 6.) Talking animal... 7.) Cheerleaders... 8) Product Message (optional) 9.) popular pop or rock song... 10.) Ad-on ending. What really made it funny was that so many of the ads that followed it actually came close to following that format - maybe not so much the animals, but the added-on ending gags were everywhere, and I'd never noticed that before.

Man, I didn't think I'd be able to remember all that... :) I also liked the Diet Pepsi truck one simply because I could see that happening - sad but true.

-D

6. Chris

Keys did America the Beautiful, Armed Forces Choir did the national anthem. ;)

7. jim777

jim777 Seen all good people Forum MVP

I had 7 and 7 in the 10 dollar office pool, so I won 300 bucks for the halftime score. First time in 20 something years I actually won anything in a Super Bowl pool, and it was a lousy 10 dollar box! LOL, I also thought it was a great game once the boring first quarter was over. And best commercial was definitely the Bud Light ad where the pilot jumped. That was just plain funny :D

8. Chris

That one, the mustang commercial and the commercial with the cat and the spaghetti sauce were my favs.

9. Leon

i laughed my ass off at the commercial with the guy who starts out making dinner, then the cat spills the red sauce, and he grabs the cat with a knife in his hand, and that lady (i assume his gf) walks in the door.

:lol:

i'll give that one a solid :yesway: .

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, those three were pretty good, too... :)

I tuned in like ten seconds after the kickoff, so I missed both performances - my bad...

-D

11. jim777

jim777 Seen all good people Forum MVP

I forgot the cat in the spaghetti sauce! There was another one of those where a guy is talking to someone on his cell phone with the hands-free set while standing at a convenience store counter, and he was saying, "Dude, you are so getting robbed, do you hear me? You're getting robbed" and the guy behind the counter hits him with a bat. :D
    I know how that looks, but it was still pretty funny

12. Chris

:lol: I laughed my ass off at that one too, especially when the little old lady came out and handed him an assbeating with the big stick.

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yeah, that one was pretty good, too.

Was I the only one who thought the ads were better than the game? Not that I watch a hell of a lot of football, but it didn't strike me as terribly cleanly played (and what the FUCK were the Eagles doing at the end? They basically ran the clock down on themselves, that last touchdown. Had they not done that and not thrown an interception right after the Pats got their last field goal, they'd have been in possession and just under a minute left on the clocks and a three point defecit - not great, but they'd have had a very real shot at a comeback.

14. Leon

it looked like they were just wore out and gave up, but who knows :confused:

the first half was pretty good. i really enjoy watching defensive struggles, rather than offensive parades.

15. macalpine88

macalpine88 SS.org Regular

i hate the patriots :mad: atleast philly did not get destroyed :scream2: although, there is no doubt they are an awsome team :scream2: