Super Delegates

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Codyyy, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Codyyy

Codyyy The Flip-Flopper

I've never been that involved in politics until this very election. And when I went to cnn.com on Super Tuesday to check how the candidates were doing, I noticed the "Super Delegates" count on the democratic side. When I found out what this was, I was rather angry. It just seems criminal. Members of each state legislature get as much of a vote as a whole precinct?

Someone explain to me how this is right.

All I know is that Obama has been ahead in (real) delegates since super Tuesday, and his lead is growing. But Hillary is still winning by nearly 100 delegates because of the Super Delegates.

I shudder to think about Obama winning the popular democratic vote but due to the Super Delegates, Hillary becomes the Democratic candidate on the ballot. The people will not feel well represented at all...

I'm an Obama supporter if you didn't catch that :lol:

Maybe some of you that know more about politics could shed some light on this. Discuss?

2. noodles

noodles Contributor

No, you are dead on, it really is a load of bullshit. After Jimmy Carter ran away with the Democratic nomination, against the wishes of the power in the party, they came up with this new system to screw the grassroots guys. There are a lot of people who are already saying that they will leave the Democratic party and/or refuse to vote for Hillary if she only wins because of the superdelegates. Howard "Talking Ass Hat" Dean--the moron who ruled that Florida and Michigan's delegates will not count--has said that if no clear winner is determined before the convention, that a "deal" will be struck. I don't see how this is going to work, since neither candidate is going to back down, nor should they.

Also, to add more fuel to the fire, expect Hillary to demand that the delegates from Florida and Michigan to be seated, since "every vote should count". If she lost them, you could have counted on her arguing to bar them on the grounds that they disobeyed procedure.

This is exactly the sort of colossal fuckup that can hand the Republicans the White House for four more years. I swear, the DNC is the Democratic party's worst enemy. The whole system is fucked up, and the squabbling just drives the moderates over to the other side. Luckily, the GOP is having their own squabblings over who is conservative enough.

3. Codyyy

Codyyy The Flip-Flopper

Fuck, was there any sort of controversy at the time when they put super delegates into place...?

This is worse than the electoral college, and I thought THAT was un-democratic. :noplease:

4. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

Super Delegates have never received any attention before because they were never important before. Usually the nomination was over before the primaries were. So there was no issue.

Now that there is a possibility that the convention might decide the nomination the super delegates become very important. If they do decide this nomination and they go against the popular vote the DNC will be in deep shit and it might cost them the general election.

5. ElRay

ElRay Mostly Harmless

This comes-up every four years. The Electoral College is great. It helps reduce the tyranny of the majority. Without it, it's much, much easier for the big, densely populated states to tread over the smaller and less densely populates states. It follows the same principals behind two houses in Congress, one proportional by population, one equal for all states.

Remember, a pure democracy is three wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner.

Ray