Suicide Squad - no spoilers

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by cronux, Aug 4, 2016.

1. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Wife and I just came back from watching and we absolutely enjoyed it. I guess we have low standards or we're just hipsters, I don't know.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Hipsters? I don't follow that one!

3. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Well I mean, there seems to be only a select few that like it at least on a massive level, so naturally the ones who like it compared to the ones who don't like it would be considered hipsters I would think.

4. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

5. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

one can only hope the interference happened prior to the shakeup following BvS.... if not.... well WB is screwed

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

It looks like I'll be going to see this tomorrow. I was pretty hyped for the film until it was going around that they were doing a lot of rewriting and reshooting, and then the film came out and the reviews were so bad. Now I'll be going into it with low expectations.

7. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Jesus H... This sounds like it would've fixed a lot of things in the movie. *facepalm* WB needs to figure their sh*t out.

Also, can we seriously stop releasing 3+ trailers before movies come out that feature all the best parts of the movie? I think almost every joke in this movie was featured in one of the trailers so nothing was new for me. And I actively try to avoid watching trailers before watching a movie I want to see.

8. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Saw it last night. Not a bad movie, enjoyed myself. I'm particularly surprised how much I enjoyed Will Smih as Deadshot. On the flip side, Pimp Joker was disappointing, although I'm sure at this point, since a lot of his footage got cut, he was mainly used to set up the Batfleck movie.

And agreed, Fuller terrified me way more than Joker.

9. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I remember various sources stating that the reshoots were done because of the BVS backlash. It's the biggest reason I've been hesitating to see this with the notion of already thinking it's gonna suck...

I wasn't really convinced from the trailers that this was the movie redemption the DCEU needed after the soulless dreary slugs of Man Of Steel and Batman V Superman. But I did secretly wish it was, as it's premise was strong and works as a new take on the overexposed superhero genre. Warner Bros are making it hard for me to like their DCEU series but I really wanted to like them, and hopefully it'll start here.

Finally saw the movie last night. Now, I'm still waiting for movie that'll make me like the DCEU, because Suicide Squad wasn't it.

Maybe going in knowing about the reshoots and post production interference was to my own detriment, but it didn't matter because most of the movie felt like a collage of hacked scenes forcefully put together leaving loose threads everywhere, all complete with insert popular songs du jour in a contrived sense of 'fun'. The result is like a Robert Rodriguez effect but without the very fun and charm that WB has tried to force into this movie.

This is most obvious when it comes to the Joker. The only reason he's in this movie is because you can't have Harley Quinn without the Joker not too far around. Otherwise, there really wasn't much point in him being there unless all those extended cut scenes are supposedly good, then it goes back to the whole waiting for the extended cut to somewhat redeem this movie argument again.

Now the new Joker... this time around he takes the page off the Golden Age Joker, classic gangster mode complete with entourage with a Bronze/Modern Age psychotic icing. Basically a modern mix of Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger. It's a neat spin on the iconic villain. Sadly, Jared Leto doesn't do well selling the character for me. Save for one short moment where he was laughing with a Gatling gun, Leto tries to aim high with all the Joker traits I mentioned, but falls short with all of them. This may be the second worse portrayal of the character... the UN Ambassador for Iran stint is still the nadir.

Once again, the WB fascination with the 90s comics era linger here. The DC film aesthetic of putting a dark instagram filter on everything is ever present, but at least the characters are colorful this time around.

Not all is bad though. First off, I liked it better than BVS. :lol: Second, 3 particular characters carry the film, and as all the comments prior, it's Harley Quinn, Amanda Waller and Deadshot. One couldn't help but feel that Will Smith is vicariously showing his regret for turning down Django Unchained to do After Earth instead here though. :lol: All three characters are well acted show stealers leaving everyone else in the sidelines.

So with all the alarm bells ringing on how this movie will add more DC disappointment for me, I still wanted some kind of hope. Looks like I'll have to wait for Wonder Woman and Aquaman instead.

10. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I saw it a while ago now. Had to let things sink in.

First off, Will Smith was great. The most glaring thing to me about the movie was that there existed several lapses in the storytelling that I label as just plain lazy. I think the cast did about the best they could with what they were given, but pretty much every part with the Joker, to my eyes, seemed contrived, as if, they added him as an afterthought, and didn't really bother explaining him at all. The Harley Quinn backstory seemed poorly executed to me, but it could have been worse, I guess, to me.

I think they went maybe a little too thick with Waller, taking away some of the dimension that they could have had, but I wouldn't complain about it too much.

The other characters just seemed too much like a book of bad stereotypes to me. As supporting characters, I could excuse this to the extent that they did it, except the title of the movie led me to believe the movie would be more about the characters of the entire group.

At times, I felt like they were slipping in bits of the upcoming Batman vs Joker movie trailer into the film that was supposed to be about the evil Avengers, oops, I mean the Suicide Squad.

Whatever the case, I do think people are being too hard on it. I wouldn't give it a perfect 5/7, :lol: , but I think it's a lot of wasted potential, if they had taken a more consistent approach and written a general frame around the plot that wasn't a Mad Libs version of every super hero team movie.

11. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

:rofl: I love that meme