Suicide Squad - no spoilers

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by cronux, Aug 4, 2016.

1. cronux

cronux SS.org Regular

Watched it yesterday and for me the movie is really good.

I would say 8-8,5/10.

I went in not knowing what to expect but at the end I was blown away. DC finally has a proper super hero (villan) movie. Pacing was good, MUSIC WAS AWESOME, story is ok, has some "DAMN!" shots and twists and I am really happy with the movie. Joker was great, Harley was OMG, Deadshot was on point (pun intended), action scenes were great, jokes were good etc.

In short it's a bit darker and has a more serious tone than any Marvel movie but still has enough humor and doesn't take itself too seriously (like Batman Vs Superman) to be boring or repetitive. Casting is on point too.

It has maybe one or two minor flaws but other than that the movie kicks ass. :wavey:

Go watch it! :D

Chewy5150 likes this.
  2. JohnTanner

JohnTanner Derpin' on the guitar since 2003

Really? from what I have read it's an absolute flop. But I have also come to learn to never trust those snobby mainstream critic websites from past experiences. I'll still definitely check it out based on your review.

3. blacai

blacai SS.org Regular

4. cronux

cronux SS.org Regular

Just look at the Gamespot review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuBJ24cyt5w

See how much negative rep it has, so yeah - you are right about snobby mainstream critic.

I really don't know what people were expecting if there are to many bad reviews out there... have to check them and come back.

5. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

Here's my take, saw the midnight show last night.

Done with Suicide Squad. Verdict = Go see it!!!
    Spoiler alert:
    good stuffs
    1. Harley Quinn was amazing.
    2. Batfleck still awesome
    3. Joker was great, not Ledger great, more like Mark Hamill's Joker(should've had more screen time)
    Bad stuffs
    1.Pacing and cinematography is way confusing
    2. Still had that instagram tint as with MoS & DoJ
    3. Deadshot was more like Will Smith played by Deadshot, not the other way round.
    4. Not sure where is that "Batman from the point of view of the baddies" as Ayer claimed.
    5. Dialogues could've been better.
    All in all, worth the money, the chemistry between Leto & Robbie is magic. Plus there's Batfleck.
    There's a mids credit scene.. Don't miss it.
    😀

6. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

The film is a flop. Only people who are easily entertained by the most simple of action flicks and a handful of special effects (i.e. - almost every Marvel/DC/comic movie) will enjoy it.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Wait, so the movie is a failure because their target market will enjoy it? It's an action flick, not an art film.

I'm entirely of the opinion that anyone's view of the film is going to depend heavily on the angle they go at it from-
    From a technical point of view, it's a perfectly good film. They had the budget, and you can tell. It has polish. It has good CG. It's got some pretty decent action. It's got a big budget cast. It's entertaining. If you're not picky, the camera work and lighting and things like that are as good as you would expect for this kind of movie. The acting isn't going to win any awards, but it's not "bad". Sometimes the characters feel more like caricatures than people (maybe that was intentional?), and there are some cases where it's hard to see through the actor to the character they're representing, but it's certainly no worse in that regard than any other comic/hero/action film lately. It's a good film in that respect- it accomplishes what it set out to do, and what I expected it to do.

If you're expecting some kind of deep, meaningful, life-changing experience- you're not going to find it here, cause it's an action movie.

If you're hoping for a piece of "artistic" film, something that innovates or makes a statement about the medium, you're also not going to find that here.

If you're a fan of the comics expecting an in-depth and accurate treatment of the characters or the IP as a whole, you might leave feeling unfulfilled.

It's not without some pretty clear flaws if you pick it apart, but it's more a question of expectations than it is about the quality of the movie itself. It's worth the night out, IMO.

8. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Going to see it Saturday with my wife. I'm going in expecting some good dumb fun and nothing spectacular because that's what I'm expecting. I'm going in knowing three things:

1.) Leto probably won't hold a candle to Ledger
    2.) Most of the characters shouldn't be taken seriously
    3.) It's going to be more of an action comedy than anything.

I think as has been noted before, people need to decide what their expectations are before going and seeing a movie. And if at the end of the movie, my wife and I are the only ones who enjoy it, well I guess we're just a couple of stupid hipsters who are far too edgy for the mainstream.

9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

This is one of the first things I thought coming out of the movie- that even if this movie's Joker does a "good" job, there's too many really good Jokers to compare him to. Anything less than spectacular will fall short of everyone we're comparing him to.

10. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

Yeah...after this I'm done with the DC movies for a while.

Man of Steel was pretty okay for a Superman movie. Too obsessed with it's own grimdark for my taste, especially since it's f4cking Superman for Christ's sake.

Superman vs. Batman was just...bleh. If MoS was obsessed with grimdark, SvB seemed like they wanted to beat it by being the mostest grimdarkest of all the darkest darkness. Bland, boring, character motivations were hollow and I couldn't even enjoy it on a "shut up and watch the explosions" level. After waiting nearly my entire life to see Bats and Supes in that match up and what we got was lackluster at best.

Suicide Squad is exactly what the reviews say. It seems like they made two movies and smushed them together and called it a day. If I had a time machine, I'd go back in time and slap sense into myself right before I purchased tickets.

11. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

You edited the heck out of my initial post while quoting it, and then you tried to respond with your falsely conceived version of what I said. Nice straw man fallacy there.

Which has me laughing at this: http://comicbook.com/2016/08/03/petition-to-shut-down-rotten-tomatoes-over-bad-suicide-squad-rev/

^ This is why some easily butthurt fanboys do not need to experience the Internet.

If it wasn't for the social media over-hyping, Leto playing the role of the Joker, and everyone's newly-found faux obsession with Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn (which came out of nowhere), this film wouldn't have anywhere near as much attention as it does. I'm willing to bet that after half of the fans and supporters actually see the film, they will pull a complete 180 and walk away shaking their heads in disappointment.

12. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

You guys realize if you agree with critics, that makes you snobby too, right? THIS MOVIE IS FUN, DAMMIT!!!

After the ENDLESS parade of promo stuff for this, I feel really fulfilled that it's bad. I can't remember the last time I was so buried by pre-release material. Even with movies I wanted to read everything about, I couldn't find nearly as much as I was confronted with here. Nothing against DC, just a lot against this marketing campaign!!

13. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

14. cronux

cronux SS.org Regular

1. to me Leto is more scary than Ledger... sure, Ledger performance is out of .... world but Leto's Joker is more scary and mad then Ledger

2. Like any movie.

3. Nope, it's DC so it's more serious and has a darker tone than anything Marvel witch I really really like. Despite the serious tone it still has great comedic performances... you'll see.

I think you'll be surprised :)

15. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

is the movie at least on par with the second Thor movie?

idk, i find a lot of the non-Captain America films (exception being GoG) to be pretty ....e with the only redeeming quality being the characters are lovable.

16. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

Nothing beats "myer-myer" and pantsless Skarsgård at Stonehenge.

17. Ibanezsam4

Ibanezsam4 SS.org Regular

the only way you could top that is if one of his sons went pantsless at stonehenge. A guaranteed way to put female butts in theater seats

18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I edited what you said to demonstrate how I interpreted what you were saying- or maybe to demonstrate that I don't quite get what you were getting at. You used the same description ("action flicks and a handful of special effects") to both describe comic movies in general, and the types of movies that fans of comic movies should enjoy. ....so, yes? The movie appeals to it's target audience, doesn't it? Or did you mean to suggest that the movie isn't enjoyable unless you're specifically a big fan of flashy action hero movies? If I misunderstood, then feel free to clarify.

19. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I think that worse than the conventional marketing (if Hot Topic product tie-ins are now conventional :lol:) was the endless string of "OMG- the making of the movie was soooo crazy" articles in the press as if the cast was making Exile on Main Street and not a popcorn comic book movie. All the crap about Jared Leto sending people condoms & dead animals, David Ayer making cast members fight, the need for an on-set psychologist, et cetera- either this .... didn't happen and is therefore the lamest way to curry interest in the movie OR it did happen and supplants Dustin Hoffman's "It's called acting" incident in cinematic history w/r/t unnecessary preparation.

That said, I really wanted to see the movie and am encouraged by some positive reviews... but I may be at the wait-for-the-$5-theater-that-serves-beer level of eagerness to see it.

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

Just saw it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I dont know why the critics are crapping on it, it's a fun popcorn flick.