Suggestions for Speaker Pairing: Mesa 2x12 Edition

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by polish_sausage, Sep 26, 2017.

1. polish_sausage

polish_sausage SS.org Regular

Ive been thinking of swapping out one of the v30s from my Mesa 2x12 for a while but have little experience on the issue. I'm running a 5153 50 watt and am looking for a modern metal tone. Some possible pairings would be a creamback or a swamp thang as far as I have read but the opinions of people with more experience in the matter is welcome!

Thanks!

2. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

The Mesa/Boogie branded, English made, Celestion Black Shadow 90 is paired with the Vintage 30 in Mesa's Road King cabinets. That combo is killer! The Black Shadow 90 is a little more balanced and smooth while the V30 is a bit more brash. Similarly, the Classic Lead 80 would work well, though my ears slightly favor the midrange articulation in the Black Shadow 90. They're overall pretty similar speakers in the low and high end response.

The Celestion Creamback 75 watt would be another nice pairing. Again, smoother than the Vintage 30, but still with strong output and tight bass. The 75 watt (heavy magnet) version of the Creamback has better bass control than the 65 watt (medium magnet) version of the Creamback.

I have seen pairings of the Celestion G12T-75 and the V30, but the t75 has slightly lower output and a more scooped, 80's metal sound to it.

I do not have a ton of experience with Eminence speakers, save the Legend 100 12" sounds pretty solid, balanced, but with a big of an aggressive high-mid response.

My vote would be for either the Mesa Black Shadow 90 or the Celestion Creamback 75 overall.

3. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

I’m a fan of the gt75 v30 combo. Creamback would also work well. The Mesa black shadow 90 is a fantastic speaker. I have a Mesa 112 cab with one and I love the sound of that thing but have never paired it with a v30 so I couldn’t say for certain how well they compliment each other.
    I’d say any speaker with a reduced midrange will fit the bill. You might want to look at the frequency charts to help decide if you can narrow it down to a couple.

Descent likes this.
  4. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

i use a marshall 1960a with a gt75 v30 combo in an x pattern. Have to say, not really a fan of the gt75, it's really noticeable that it has lower output and that it's more scooped. it's like you're standing in front of 2 different cabs and not in a good way.

5. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I have a Mesa v30 paired with a Celestion G12K100 in my Zilla Fatboy 2x12, I love it, awesome combo.

I can't really compare against all-v30 2x12 as I only have the one V30 and I had it in a 1x12 before I got the Zilla.

It sounds really huge, very modern, I recommend it.

I was originally planning to get a creamback to pair with it as its kind of the flavour of the month (or year) but all the reviews I found were regular retail V30 / creamback and the Mesa version of the V30 is different. I did find a couple people who put creambacks in their Mesa cabs along side the Mesa V30's and from what I recall some didn't like it as the Mesa V30's resonant peaks are different from a normal V30 and those one or two people who didn't like it said it didn't seem to blend as well.

This is all just stuff I read online during my search though so for sure do your own research and if you can try one, do so.

I am very happy with my V30 / K100 combo though.

6. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

There are way too many speaker options. Swamp thangs are going to balance the high end of the EVH and give you MASSIVE low end. Might be exactly what you want. Lots of guys saying the EVH amps sound best with Greenbacks or whatever comes in the EVH cabs. Personally, I am a HUGE fan of Eminence Legend V12s. They work incredible well with 5150 amps because they tend to get rid of that upper end fizz, and they have a huge, tight low end and a bit of a scooped, but not too scooped midrange. Plus...$65 a pop for new ones haha.

7. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

The Mesa cab is designed/"tuned" for the V30 that they put in it. Specifically it adds in some low end response and overall balances things a bit. I love the way they designed it. I thought it booms down low a lot like like a G12K, in that enclosure.

The speakers which will work best in the cab are probably going to be similar to V30. Other midrange with slightly rolled off or controlled low end speakers will probably work well.

In its original state the Recto 2x12 is a hard cab to mess with. It is what it is- a well executed V30 design.

If I had a gun pointed to my head and had to roll speakers I would try Legend V12's in it (since I love them) which would probably reduce the "ice pick" a bit and also top end fizz, while remaining fairly v30-ish.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  8. polish_sausage

Thanks for the advice haha but alas as is is the nature of these threads I might have more options than before. This seems like an under explored thing with guitarists unfortunately. Everyone has valuable input but no one has total experience. I think any option here is viable, including letting things be. I do want a little more scooped mids, that's where I was going with this though. Things do get a little thicc uknowhtimsayin

9. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

I just sold my Boogie 212 cab. IT is a really nice cab and really well built. However, I also just got the EVH 5150 III EL-34 head and it just did not work well with this cab. I picked up a new EVH 212 and it is fine but the stock speakers on that are not great with the 100W head. I'm also looking to change out the speakers. I was looking at the Lynchbacks and the 75 Creambacks. I had the 65 Creambacks before in a Bogner 212CB and they were decent but a bit dull.

Decisions....decisions....

10. polish_sausage

I focused this on the 5153 but I'm also running a Fryette power station with a Helix. It's honestly great I think I keep the 5153 around just because I'm enamoured with analogue. Does this change anyone's input? I've thought of going frfr with the helix but if anyone has any other suggestions I'm pretty into hearing it. Cheers!

11. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I have 5153 and Helix, love using the 5153 as power amp for the Helix, I may try some 4 channel stuff but I need to get a channel switching adapter so that I can make preset changes with only one stomp. As much as the Helix is awesome, I could never not have a stand alone amp to go to if I felt the urge, so I would keep the 5150 and stay away from FRFR, a lot of dudes on the Les Paul forum seem to chase the FRFR dream with mixed results.

12. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

I picked up a Voodoo lab control last week and soldered a 7 pin end to the 5 pin end. All works great and it switches my channels on my new amp with the Midi cc#s. Amazing setup with 4CM and Helix!

Dineley likes this.