Suggestions for a new 7 String with Piezo?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Armando, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Armando

Armando SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new 7 string. Although I play, write and perform a lot, I don't buy guitars very often and I currently only have one. That's partly because I make sure I pick a guitar that is perfect for what I need. For the past few years I've been using an Ibanez S7420 and I love it.

I'm looking for the best 7 string guitar that has:
    • Floating bridge
    • Piezo pickups
    • Passive pickups
    • 2-horn body shape (not a fan of gibson style bodies)
    • Prefer glossy over matte finish
    • Prefer an ebony fretboard
    • I love mahogany but I'm open to other body woods
    My budget is $2800. All suggestions are welcome, new or discontinued guitars that I could find in the used market.

Thanks a lot!

2. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

First, is your budget $2800 Canadian, or in USD?
    Second, aside from EBMM JP / Majesty series guitars, there are almost no other 7-string models currently in production that come stock with piezo's that I'm aware of.

If it's $2800 USD then check out some EBMM JP's or Majesty's. If it's Canadian, then you're going to have to look for a used one. Aside from the JP7 model itself (the old/original one), the other JP models (most of the anniversary models) and the Majesty's pretty much fit your wish-list perfectly. If you're lucky you might be able to find some of the old Ibanez 7's (RG 2027x) that had a piezo, but these are very rare, especially in Canada. I recommend checking out Kijiji for some local used options.

You could look in to buying separate bridges that would fit on to a 7 you like/can afford that have a piezo system.

If the JP or Majesty doesn't work for you and the bridge swap isn't an option, are you sure you absolutely need a piezo? Could you use an acoustic simulator pedal or in a multi-effects to get a sound that is acoustic-like?

3. Armando

Armando SS.org Regular

That's USD.

And yeah, I have considered the EBMM models, but I also want alternatives, because the majesty that I like is almost $3200 which makes it that much more expensive in canadian. Plus, the waiting period is like 8 months, which I think is ridiculous.

Are there any costum shops that make guitars with piezos?

4. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Can't think of anything off the top of my head. You could e-mail Kiesel to see if they would do a piezo in a 7-string model. I don't think they do but I can't recall.

Is a 6-string baritone an option, or do you need the 7?

Armando likes this.
  5. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Kiesel will do it. It’s not an option on the builder but I had a dc7x with piezos. Didn’t sound very good compared to my prs hb or ibanez 2120x though.

Most customs will do it for you as well if you ask. Hipshot, fishman, abm all make piezo saddles.

The majesty is really the best sounding off the wall option though.

Armando and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  6. Armando

Armando SS.org Regular

I really need the 7. I've gotten so used to it at this point and I use it in my band's music a lot.

I'll look into custom shops.

Thanks for the replies guys!

7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

oh you need a floating bridge. that might be a bit harder. I think your only in production option is the majesty.
    You can look for a used ibanez 2127x but they are super rare.

8. Armando

Armando SS.org Regular

Yeah i actually looked for that one, but couldn't find any.

9. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Kiesel can definitely do the 7-string with a piezo. Their Lee McKinney Signature comes with the piezo standard, and is available with a floyd. This makes me think they could do this on any of their 7-string models, with one caveat: the reason they use the Original 1000 series floyd on the 7s instead of an OFR is because of the different string spacing on the OFR. I don't know if the string spacing of the floyd they use on this particular signature model can be used on their other "standard" models. That's really the only limiting factor I could think of off the top of my head.

Here's a gallery of custom builds of the Lee McKinney signature:
    https://www.kieselguitars.com/guitargallery/lpm7

Here's the product info page:
    https://www.kieselguitars.com/catalog/guitars/lpm7

10. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

With the time you would be waiting around for a carvin or a custom build, just save more money and get the majesty.

11. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Graphtec and probably others make piezo saddles for floyds. Could just buy any guitar with a 7 string ofr and retrofit it (or pay to have it retrofit)

12. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular