Suggestions for a good bass head & cabinet under $1000 ?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by DGKarehere, Jun 28, 2012.

1. DGKarehere

DGKarehere french dude, Brian

Okay, I have a band and we'll start playing at some small gigs in our town next month and my bassist is the only one in the band that absolutely needs to upgrade his gear.

Since he knows nothing at all about bass amplifiers and me neither, I need help from some of you to find a good deal for a cabinet and a head for under 1000$ (it can be new or used). You just need to tell me what could be a great deal or what could be something to absolutely not buy, you know what I mean ? :cool:

Thanks in advance ! :yesway:

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Either a new Ampeg Portaflex 500 (new or used) or a Hartke 5500 (used), and a Carvin BR410 for a 4x10 or a BR810 if you want an 8x10. If you have extra cash, spend it on a bass dirt pedal. :)

DGKarehere likes this.
  3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Beat old Ampeg 810 and a GK 700RB III.

DGKarehere likes this.
  4. DGKarehere

ok thanks for the suggestions i'll check that out !

5. DGKarehere

I found a GK 700RB I for 400$ used CAN and a Eden 410T for 300$ used
    Would it delivers a good sound ?
    I also found an ampeg 810 for 650$

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That would be good rig for sure. Every GK head I've played has been stellar in sound, even the super cheap Backline series stuff. Also, Eden makes some great cabs. For $700 I doubt you'll find a significantly better rig.

That's a rather high price for a used Ampeg unless it's recent and in almost new condition. Though, perhaps they are a little pricier in Canada. I bought both of my old 810s for under $500. They weren't very pretty, but they were in perfect working order.

7. carcass

carcass SS.org Regular

just a suggestion, but if you wat some pedal, look at Behringer V-TONE BASS BDI21. I saw a comparation of BDI21 with Sansamp BDDI and to be honest, it was impossible to tell them apart. Cheap and it can deliver really nice tone.

8. DGKarehere

Yea, I think it's pricier in Canada . thanks for your help !

@Carcass : definitely a good suggestion. my bassist is going to like this little thing!

9. carcass

carcass SS.org Regular

10. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

The 8x10 might be a bit of overkill unless the band is playing some pretty big venues. It's not the easiest to transport (it won't fit in most cars) not to mention it weighs a ton. Whereas with a 4x10, it can be carried by 1 person and will fit in the back seat of most 4 door cars.

The rig I have is a Peavey TVX 4x10 (which you can probably get for around $350 CDN used) and for a head, I have a Markbass Little MarkII (it's pretty much the same as a the LMIII and F1) and they run around $500 or so new. As for a pedal, I'd recommend a Tech 21 VT Bass because it's hands down one of the best 'tone shaping' pedals available for bass. It does everything the Bass Driver does and more (except for a DI out but the LMII has one on it).

For less than $1,000 it's probably one of the best sounding rigs I've ever played through.