Suggest a graphics card for me for $250

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by MIL8, Dec 3, 2016.

1. MIL8

MIL8 SS.org Regular

I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card, I'd like to keep it to $250 or under. Today I get an email from New Egg with 2 different cards on sale.

I can get this one for $209, EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
    Passmark gives it a rating of 8537 (For what that is worth)

I can get this one for $255, MSI Radeon RX 480 DirectX 12 RX 480 GAMING X 8G 8GB
    Passmark gives this one a rating of 7778

I know these are not cutting edge but when you consider I'm currently running a R7 260x 1GB either one will be a huge improvement.

I do have a 4k monitor but I doubt either of these will run games at full resolution, from what I have read it looks like I would need to spend 400-500 at least to get a card that will run at 4k. If anyone has any other suggestions for a better card at $250 or under I would be interested. I will list my compete system specs below.

Thanks!

i5-2550K 3.40 GHz CPU
    16 GB Ram
    Windows 10 64 Bit
    120 GB SSD as the main drive
    2 SATA standard hard drives running in Raid 0 (Striping) as secondary drives
    GIGABYTE Radeon R7 260X GV-R726XOC-1GD 1GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card

2. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

If I were choosing between these two, I'd pick the Evga. Here's my 2 cents on why....right or wrong.

The 8g on the Msi sounds great, but they are both gddr5. As far as I know, unless you're running a super high end board or multiple cards and with the clocks being close in value, the difference wouldn't be much to write home about.

I tend to look at the chipsets a little more. I think this is where evga cards excel. In this case the evga edges out the MSI, which I think will result in a overall smoother graphical experience. The evga seems to run a little more efficiently for its size. The power requirements are better, a lot punch in a small package if you ask me.

3. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

IMO go for the 1060, it's an overall very solid card. You also get the added perks of being an NVIDIA card (Shadowplay, for example)

However, look around on reddit.com/r/buildapcsales. My friend found his GTX 1060 on there for $170 new.

Have you considered going used? You might be able to pick up a GTX 1070 (if you are lucky) for that price.

4. ShiftKey

ShiftKey SS.org irregular

I have gone through the same thought process recently and have a vary similar system to you and i picked the 1060.

5. MIL8

MIL8 SS.org Regular

Thanks this is very helpful.

I usually am not opposed to used, but the last used video card I bought smelled of smoke and worked one time then quit. I think I want to go new this time.

6. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

You have a 4K monitor? I'd definitely pick the GPU with 8 Gigs of video memory. I think the 1060 with just 3 gigs is gonna hurt You even if You don't run at full res.

7. MIL8

MIL8 SS.org Regular

8. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

Definitely aim for one of the 6 Gig cards at least. I wouldn't be concerned with 1 vs 2 fan setups, there are cooling solutions that use just one fan that can be just as effecient as 2 fan when done right.

I've heard good things about both the 1060 and RX 480 they trade blows pretty evenly across the board so either would be a good choice as long as You get the 6 Gig 1060 or the 8 gig 480. The only first hand experience I have with the PNY brand You listed is with a GTX 9600 I had several years ago, but it always treated me well and ran until I retired it for something newer. The PNY stuff KIND of seems to have a mediocre reputation among enthusiasts, but not sure how much stock to put in that overall. I've owned cards from just about every manufacturer under the sun and have never had an issue, I usually just go with whoever offers the best price for what I'm looking for at the time.

9. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

I just got a 1060 a couple months and it is awesome if your doing 1080p. I'm using a nice 1080 tv and at 4k i would go with a 1080 card, but its overkill. But, totally go for the 6gb, not the 3.
    I got an EVGA SSC 1060 6gb for 300 including tax at Best Buy. I'm sure you could even get a better deal than I did a couple months ago at this point.

10. MIL8

MIL8 SS.org Regular

11. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

Good choice! Glad it's working out for You!