Study finds that US is an Oligarchy, not a democracy...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by tacotiklah, Apr 30, 2015.

1. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Study: US is an oligarchy, not a democracy - BBC News

For me, this was just confirming what I had long suspected. Rich people decide the fate of the country, even if it goes against what the majority of voters want.

tl;dr
    Rich people decide policy
    Water is wet
    Grass is green

Solodini likes this.
  2. asher

asher So Did We

Pope, despite many vitriolic protestations from the American right, also still Catholic.

3. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

I wish we could be more like other countries, he said in a snarky tone. :lol:

A couple books that you might really like on this topic...

The Great Derangement by Matt Taibbi
    Griftopia by Matt Taibbi
    Family of Secrets by Russ Baker

4. zappatton2

zappatton2 SS.org Regular

Sadly, here in Canada we have a government that is committed to replicating what to me should be the cautionary tale of what has happened to the States over the past couple of decades. We're coming up right behind you on the Oligarch scale, might even surpass you given enough time.

5. Glass Cloud

Glass Cloud Banned

Seeing as how my vote doesn't actually elect the leader of my nation, I have known for years the US was NEVER a democracy. A democratic republic at best.

6. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Since the US's very beginning this country has been run by the wealthy. It was rare when an everyday man made it in to a seat of power. At the time that made some sense since jobs needed to be done and most of them were done by folks barely making it, but nowadays it really isn't a necessary condition, especially with the salaries they get on top of already being wealthy individuals.

Our vote today counts for little, but believe it or not it counted for even less in the beginning. That was the whole point of the electoral college at the time, to override uneducated voters.

7. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

And has there ever been a time or a place in which the wealthiest have decided not to exercise their dominate political influence over the socio-economic structure?

8. asher

asher So Did We

It's swung quite a bit about just how much influence they have to exert over the last hundred years alone.

9. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

Since when has that ever not been true? :lol:

I guess it's because of the no rep thing now that the last couple of weeks this went from a reasonable place to be and is now just a stomp-on crew?

Honestly, it's really pissing me off.

WHEN in history, of ANY COUNTRY/government has money/wealth not been the leading deciding factor?

There are so many things wrong with this idea it's impossible to point out (and hardly anyone cares anyways, oh I guess I'll get bashed for that too)

Do you realize that no matter how rich your mommy/daddy is that black self-built wealth accounts for a staggering amount of money in the US? More than you'll ever see. My point? There are a few people that inherit or win money but the vast majority of americans with money MADE IT. That doesn't even account for the 100's of billions that makes up illegal money ;)

Guess what? How many other countries can you do that in? Since "get rich or die tryin'" is the theme, where else would you rather go?

10. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Communism, as a form of economy, was the biggest recent challenge to the wealthy, and we all know how that ended up. Unfortunately, we are wired such that economies and nations thrive in a capitalist market, which, by definition, creates a wealthy class. And the wealthier they get, the more they can control everything. Historically all such societies have eventually collapsed from either revolution, attrition, take-over, etc. I'm hoping that technology and the world economy creates some sort of a financial disruption (the kind of disruption that Uber, Skype, etc bring) that tempers the growth of the ultra high net worth individuals. That would seem to be the easiest way to "coast" enough to let the middle class catch up.

11. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

Right, the problem is there is abuse and corruption REGARDLESS of the system.

There isn't anything in history (even revisionists form) that doesn't prove that.

12. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

^that's a very good point. Here's nothing wrong with wealth. But the abuse of power and corruption are the problems.

13. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

That's one of the main reasons I'm on the limited government train (and no, I'm not pulling it:fawk:).
    The larger and more complex a bureaucracy is, the easier and more likely there is to be embezzlement and corruption within it.

14. MYGFH

MYGFH Music your GF hates

I love this forum. So much intelligent discussion! As much as I disapprove of how our civil servants manage our goverments. I have a giant passion for following governments, economies and business. Matt Tiabbi, Thomas Picketty, & Joseph Stiglitz all come to the same base conclusion. The oligarchy is ruining the US. And will continue until the balance of wealth is redistributed. Great discussion all! Very impressed by my 7-string contemporaries. I saw some troubling quotes from recent presidential candidates that called the US govt a republic. Mexico is a republic, all the power at the top and corrupt. We are a representative democracy. Communism is bad. Very close to the police state tha is fascism. However, I think that socialim is good. It is makes society. Caring for others. Being the best human being you can be to the world without judging others. Everyone, okay almost everyone desrves a second chance, a helping hand, forgivness, kindness and brotherly love. FWIW Good night.

15. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Psycho, dont engage

16. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

The worst part is that we DO elect "new" people and it doesn't seem to matter.

Give you a story. When I lived in Phoenix, we had this republican douche names fife symington. One of the few times I absolutely voted dem in the election (and basha was no rose either, terrible supermarkets :lol: ) and he was re-elected but had to resign because he was caught cheating on credit fraud. Typical.

Another one, in Cali, we had the great "grey davis"...wow...what a treat he was :lol: So what happened when when he wanted to write more bad checks to pay for his incompetence? We ousted him! Dems wanted him gone because he was a turd. I fell for the "gouvanata" like everyone else. Frankly, he is the only politician I can ever remember doing what he said he was going to do. But it didn't last (of course) and he was an embarrassment in his second term.

Point? You almost can't win. The only thing we can do is stop with the nonsense of "dem/repub" and ALWAYS hold the office holder accountable. I'm not saying it's going to always work, but it's better than hiding our heads in the sand.

17. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

A step in the right direction is putting term limits on ALL civil servant positions, or at least the ones where that is feasible. Something like 90% of people in congress are incumbents if my memory serves me. That's too damn high whether they're good at it or not. New blood can shake things up. Admittedly not necessarily for the better, but anything else just means doing nothing.

Technology is definitely the best way to move money around. Plenty of giants have succumb to new entrants that made the first move. The only real problem there is every time that happens they become essentially just as powerful. We're big fans of monopolies and oligopolies as a society apparently. :lol:

We also need to undo the last decade of benefits that have been given to businesses in regards to sticking their noses in politics.

On the political front none of this will happen sadly since they're the ones who have to write these policies. They certainly aren't going to write themselves out of a job or campaign funds.

18. Shewter

Shewter Tone Zombie

That's the biggest problem with the voting majority that I've noticed. The labels are absolutely ridiculous and counter-productive to the average U.S. citizen.

If I had a dollar for every time I said (Washington State) that the liberal monopoly is ruining Western Washington, only to have people fire back with "better than voting for a Republican!" I'd be a wealthy man, and still screwed. Funny enough, we have a conservative majority in the state senate right now, and they proposed legislation that would require no increased costs to WA residents, yet provide increased funding in key social areas (I.E. Education, transportation etc.) while the long-term liberal folk were trying to increase taxes to pay for ALREADY overrun projects.

I wish instead of allowing politicians to claim a party, we forced them all to run by name only. Calling one a Republican or a Democrat seems to enable lazy voting. "Where's the D/R? Who cares what the candidates voting history is, I've picked a side and it's US vs. THEM!"

19. pushpull7

pushpull7 Banned

I like what you are saying, but think about it in practice: We have term limits. It doesn't seem to matter though. Again, I think, wrong or right, it's the lack of accountability. All people must be held accountable, including of course any politician.

Fact: Obama isn't the worst president in history, but he didn't do many of the things he said he was going to do. I watched all the primaries and debates....sorry, I don't remember "obamacare" being a primary subject (what I remember is him beating the "get out troops home" drum)

Now, with Iraq, there was a plan in place to get people out BEFORE he took office. But, he came through mostly......good on him. But we are STILL not out of Afghanistan. Very bad. The point is that despite party affiliation I believe "obamacare" was a red herring and he didn't really do what he said he was going to do.

Ok, so my long winded bull.... is really saying why isn't HE held to the same standard as someone else? Bush was a pretty ....ty pres. He could have been great, but he made dumbass decisions. Again, he was re-elected (I'm still having a hard time with that. According the liberal media, he should have been blown out)

Which brings up my next point: Perception is not always fact.

What it's going to take is something I doubt very much people have in them. You'll HAVE to put laziness and "perception" aside to get past this nonsense. Only then, can we really see what is happening, and not being sold by some "sales pitch"

Oh god....listen to me :lol: "mr preacher!!!!!!" :lol:

However, it is and always has been my hope that people understand the bull.... and try and get along better.