Struggling Audio Engineer Part 2, Full Metal Production

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Tactical Tiger, Jun 22, 2017.

What needs the most work

1. Guitar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bass

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  3. Drums

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Mixing

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Tactical Tiger

Tactical Tiger Audio Engineer

link to part 1: http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/struggling-audio-engineer-full-metal-production.322567/
    Take 2: https://soundcloud.com/tacticaltigerpro/full-metal-production-take-2
    The major changes i made to this project is for processing i used the Waves ssl e channel strip on everything with the ssl bus compressor and ssl g channel eq on the master. For guitar i also incorporated my DI track that has logic GTR AMP PRO amp modeling with an IR and i mixed in the mic'd amp track for both sides.

The next step for this track is to reamp the GTRs with new tubes and possibly a new preamp.
    Please have a listen and contribute to the poll at the very least. Thank you for your time

2. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

I think you need to back off the limiter a bit man, you're driving it way too hard and its cutting the kick and snare transients. Something is making the drums distort a bit. However, they are what sound the best about this mix.
    There needs to be more bass in the upper mids overall on this track; the tone needs to be molded a bit more too. Are you mixing with a sub? Create a reverb send, and send just your bass grit track to it, not your sub bass, and see how that sounds; tweak from there. I think that you need to utilize reverb more overall to create the sense of space.

You did tame those synths, and they now gel pretty nice. The guitar tone isn't too bad either. You're getting close!

Tactical Tiger likes this.
  3. Tactical Tiger

Thanks schwiz. I don't have a sub so i use my headphones to check low end and i like that suggestion on the bass right now in my mix session i do the two bass track copy trick and mix the hi and lo differently right now all the bass is going to the reverb which i have a hi pass on

4. Tactical Tiger