String Question for Agile Septor Elite 728 EB 28" Scale

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by MoeMurrda, Jun 6, 2018.

1. MoeMurrda

MoeMurrda SS.org Regular

Hello all,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I bought the guitar mentioned in the title, and when I went to get it professionally set-up, the guys told me that due to the 28 5/8" scale, and the length/positioning of the headstock, sets of strings no longer contained a low string long enough to reach. A D'Addario rep said that he believed the EXL 158's should reach, but there are only 6 strings (.013-.062) in the pack, so my question for y'all is: should I use the low string from the EXL 158's and use the other 6 strings from a 7 string pack? Any suggestions will be appreciated (on my query or 7 string baritone strings).

Thanks in advance

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Reverse headstock?

I have a 29" Danelectro, but it's a 3+3 headstock, so probably the end-to-end length of the string is shorter than your Agile, but I've actually never ran into a string that wouldn't reach. As long as the winding doesn't taper before the nut and the string itself reaches two inches or so beyond the post, I don't think you should have too much trouble.

MoeMurrda likes this.
  3. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

Since you already have a set of new strings, maybe just order a single string from Kalium? You could get near the exact gauge and length you need from them.

MoeMurrda likes this.
  4. MoeMurrda

MoeMurrda SS.org Regular

Thank you all for your swift replies. It IS a reverse headstock, and the luthiers (funny that word isn't in the computer's dictionary on SS ) showed me that the standard string in my Earnie Ball set (and the other sets they had) would not reach. I haven't heard of Kalium, so I'll check them out in just a moment. Any gauge recommendations (I know it depends on the style of music, which is difficult for me because I play quite a various blend of music on my 7- from classical to pretty heavy)? I'm just really getting into 7 & 8 strings, and I've seen so many different gauges (i.e. some regular 7 sets have the bottom string at .052 and some for baritone have it at a .072). Because of the scale will I have to get a baritone string? Below is the D'Adarrio rep's response to the JustStrings rep's query on my behalf. Also, I've attached a stock pic of the guitar I have:
    EXL157 AND EXL158 (Baritone)

" The wound strings are all wound 39-1/2” and trimmed 41-1/2” or slightly longer.

The NW068 is the only 2 wrap string and the taper of the first wrap is 37”.
    The EXL158 should work as the .068 in the EXL157 will have the taper south of the nut so no good on that one."

Are my luthiers simply wrong (or perhaps, since this was more than a year ago they told me the string wouldn't reach the standard has been changed back to longer strings)? Thanks septorelt728ebemgcharcoal1.jpg

5. bostjan

I've used Ernie Ball Strings on 27" scale lengths before without issues, and I use D'Addario currently for everything except basses, and I've never had one that didn't reach. I gave up on string sets ages ago, though, since the tensions is usually all over the map. I believe Agiles come shipped with Labella strings.

MoeMurrda likes this.
  6. MoeMurrda

MoeMurrda SS.org Regular

Got in touch with Kalium- they asked me to provide some measurements and they'll get me some strings- I'll post the measurements when I take them later this evening (I'm in Baltimore, MD, USA)

7. MoeMurrda

MoeMurrda SS.org Regular

The Ernie Ball's I provided the luthier worked on all but the lowest string. They said that the new standard was just a bit too short, and they had contacted all of their suppliers to get a string that fit and were told that they don't make 'em long enough anymore (which shocked me), and they recommended I contact this guy out in Colorado (apparently a Custom String King) to get them made. This was around January 2017. It left me scratching my head, especially with the rising popularity of longer scaled guitars, but I didn't argue, so maybe they were wrong, or maybe the standard changed for only a short time and then changed back, or maybe that difference between your 27" and my 28" (when coupled with the long reverse headstock) is just enough for it not to work. I'll update when I find out for sure. Oh, and thanks for the Labella info, I'll check them out as well.

8. stinkoman

stinkoman SS.org Regular

What set was they? Schecter Hellraiser C8 are 28 inch scale and they use Ernie ball strings. Copy and pasted from the schecter site.
    Ernie Ball 8-String Skinny Top Heavy Bottom #2624 (.009/.012/.016/.026/.036/.046/.064/.080)

Granted I know you have a 7 string just surprised they have something for an 8 but not 7. You could always just throw out the F# string.

MoeMurrda likes this.
  9. MoeMurrda

MoeMurrda SS.org Regular

I know, right? I also have an 8 string, so this might work and I can always use the extra string on my 8. In addition to getting something from Kalium I'll look into this and give it a shot. Thanks!

10. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

Yeah it's kinda hit or miss. Most string brands *should* be able to reach the tuning peg no problem, but alot of the time the outermost winding will end before reaching the nut on 28.625" scale guitars.

Speaking from experience I had to stop using NYXL's because of this problem on my Agile 728 :(

Nowadays I use Kalium exclusively for the wound strings and buy Ernie Ball Titanium RPS plain strings because they come in packs of 6 and are excellent.

Not my picture but:

198830AgileLaBellastrings074string.jpg

11. bostjan

Wow, that's not much extra in the winding! I'm guessing people who have regular trapeze tailpieces are going to run into the same problem.

I guess that'd work, though, as long as you never play the open 7th string :lol:

12. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Either buy the 7-string Labella sets from RondoMusic.com or get the 8-string Labella sets (which have the same gauge strings in it) from Musician's Friend. No issues since these are what come stock on those 28.625" scale guitars.

13. BillCosby

BillCosby SS.org Regular

I had this issue with Ernie Ball on my 28 5/8" 8 string, and it has a 4x4 headstock. The tape is right where the string hits the nut in F# Standard, if I tune down, then it tapers before the nut.

No issues with D'Addario 8 string sets. I.E. NYXL 9-80, the low strings are super long. Kalium and LaBella no issues, either.