String King of tightness

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Hallic, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Hallic

Hallic Got T.I.N.G?

Hey

I was just wondering what string brand is the absolute king when it comes to string tension(which have the most tension)?

Because i got a .062(daddrios) on my 7s to B and and its about 19.8 lbs. its playable, but i was just wondering if i could get some more tension with another brand/type of string. I actually like a .060 because of the size, but not so much the tension of it:ugh:

I searched the forums but that didn't anwser my question:idea: I did hear that maybe some coated types have xtra tension as long as the coating is on it?(true?). Also it would help if the brand offers singles or the string sets are normal balanced(by normal i mean gradually increasing tension from 1th string to 7th).

O, and don't say Ernie ball(silkies), because that would be lying :nuts:

thanks in advance

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

DR's always feel a tad tighter to me than regular D'Addarios.

D'Addarios Chromes are tighter than most strings, but they tend to put more wear on frets.

Also, someone posted a thread here about strings with heavy cores, which would result in higher tension.

3. Larrikin666

Larrikin666 Deadite

Cleartone makes some .65s that might fit your needs better.

4. Customisbetter

Customisbetter WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Contributor

Whatever you do DON'T buy Ernie balls.

Below is a photo with a .074 EB and a .066 D'Addario. The EB has a floppy mess on my RG8. I had the dad lying around and thought id try for funzies. BOOM massive difference in floppiness.

[​IMG]

5. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

6. Hallic

Hallic Got T.I.N.G?

actualy was hoping not to go thicker than .060

In theory the should have more tenssion than a same gauged string of daddrio's.

just checked their site. they even have drop-down tunning(DDT) strings. want to get my hand on that 60 they are using there:agreed:

XX-Heavy DDT-12 12 16 20 38 52 60
    (they also have a 013 to 65)
    not quite sure about their gauge size choices there in the set 52 is a bit much.

7. Hallic

Hallic Got T.I.N.G?

anyone any comment on the coated versions of strings?

8. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer OOOAAARWWWRR

I tried elixer nano coated one time a few years ago. I remember them being pretty tight for 9s as I had used 10s before that and they held up pretty well. I've also read that they're supposed to be a little higher in tension per guage =P

Although I'm really thinking of trying those Dunlop Heavy Core strings now! Used to use DR, now daddario but thinkin of switchin to the Dunlops

9. Hallic

Hallic Got T.I.N.G?

from their site:

DHCN1048 10 HEAVY 10 13 17 28 38 48
    DHCN1150 11 HEAVIER 11 14 18 28 38 50
    DHCN1254 12 HEAVIEST 12 16 20 32 42 54

I think - for example - their 54 will have more tension than a regular 54 daddrio's, but i think its unlikely that it will have more tension than a daddrio 56(maybe almost 55 daddrios i would say). Unfortunately there's no 60/61/62 or something for me.

10. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

I use a 65 elixir nanoweb bass string for C, feels pretty good in B too.
    You could probably get by using the 60 gauge of elixir nanoweb bass, but I'm a tension whore for my lower strings, since I smash the shit out of them when I riff.

All the elixir strings I've tried are noticeably tighter than an equal gauge of Ernies.
    It's not a super huge difference but people who use Ernie 10's tend to like Elixir 9's.

11. All_¥our_Bass

DELETED DOUBLEPOST

12. blackrobedone

blackrobedone SS.org Regular

Dunlop heavy core strings feel much tighter than strings of the same gauge. I'm not sure how thick they come though, but from E to E you should be set.

13. Hallic

Hallic Got T.I.N.G?

no .060s:spock:

14. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer OOOAAARWWWRR

Just ordered 12-54 Dunlop Heavy Core! I'll let everyone know how it goes! :metal:

15. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

I buy ernie balls since they are the only company I know of that specifically sales singles to their vendors. I loved the way Dean Markley 11-52s felt when I played 6 string, but their 7 string stuff didn't have a good 7th string tension.

I dont understand what this statement is trying to make. The original poster isn't tuning to F# or lower, so he wouldn't need to worry about core strength on the string in this comparison. A .074 tuned to B with EB would be around 28 lbs (rough estimation). I like the smaller cores, and the feel they have when I do string bends. Its all preference.

16. paintkilz

paintkilz Banned

hes showing how cores differ from company to company and how they relate to the string.

obviously one could say that the EB sucks way hard seeing as how it seems to be floppier than a senior citizen at a wet t shirt contest even when its a .74 and the Daddario is a .66

i should look into some heavier cores. i play dad XL 10-59, 74/80 on a 28.6" scale and think its still floppy.

6Christ6Denied6 likes this.
  17. All_¥our_Bass

Then there's Gary Goodman, you can ask him to make you strings with MASSIVE cores that are really tight for their size. You can get a 118 for 25.5" scale guitars that will tune to a bass low B, and a 98 for bass E.

18. Hallic

Hallic Got T.I.N.G?

i do care about core strength. Even the .062 daddrio's im using tuned to A# or B still doesn't feel tight enough. But my preference gauge size is a .060 but in relation to my other string. the tension is still a problem, i even got a 26,5 scale guitar now.

19. Hallic

Hallic Got T.I.N.G?

can you give me more information about this? when googling i get a magician or something

20. Taylor2

Taylor2 Teh Groove Metuhl

Honestly dude, you wont get THAT big of a difference between string companies.
    I've tried all of the more common guys, and there isn't that big of a difference.

You're either going to have to go heavier, or get a longer scale guitar.