Stretching excersises

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by Gothic Headhunter, May 13, 2012.

1. Gothic Headhunter

Gothic Headhunter Born on a Monday

Does anyone know of any helpful finger-stretching excersises/ lately I've been doing chromatics with a step in between either my index or pinkie fingers. for example, 1-3-4-5 or 1-2-3-5. Is there anything you can recommened?

2. MrPepperoniNipples

MrPepperoniNipples SS.org Regular

i usually start by going up and down a whole tone scale, 3 notes per string, which just gets the hand warmed up

and then change to going up and down pentatonics, 3 notes per string but i don't change position, so there's a repeat note

Code:

-----------------------------------------7-10-12-10-7-----------
    --------------------------------7-10-12----------------12-10-7--
    -------------------------7-9-11---------------------------------
    ------------------7-9-12----------------------------------------
    ----------7-9-12------------------------------------------------
    -7-10-12--------------------------------------------------------
    etc etc

the pentatonic exercise, if you can manage to get that up to speed legato it sounds really cool with the repeat note

with these exercises, you're also playing in positions that you will use in licks in the future, at least that was the case for me

Gothic Headhunter likes this.
  3. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Try playing exercises but with the notes displaced to different strings. If you play one note followed by the next on another string and continue in that fashion, you'll find yourself going for some odd stretches you might not otherwise have considered. It will also help you to see where else certain notes are available to make them more/less reachable.

Gothic Headhunter likes this.