Stretching across frets with index and pinky

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by gnoll, Oct 24, 2018.

1. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I always used to practise a lot more sitting down than standing up and I'm trying to shift that now towards playing more standing up, but I have some issues with my fretting hand when I play standing up.

I find it very hard to stretch across more than two frets using my index finger and pinky. My pinky wants to curve inward towards my index finger and it's very hard to move it in the other direction. If I force it out it ends up flattening out and putting my wrist in a very unnatural angle that doesn't feel good at all.

Say that I'm playing a riff that goes something like this:

-----5-----5-----
    2-2---2-2---2-2-

If I'm playing that I will kind of move the whole position of my my hand very quickly between the notes kind of like I was playing this (I play power chords with index and pinky):

4-4-5-4-4-5-4-4-
    2-2-3-2-2-3-2-2-

I guess I have pretty small hands but, is this like, normal? It seems to me like 3 frets shouldn't be that hard to stretch, and I can do it okay sitting down. So I wonder what everyone elses experience is with this kind of thing and if anyone got tips for me?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Ideally, the guitar should be in the same position when seated and standing. If not, see why, and adjust accordingly. Typically, all it takes is some strap selection and adjustment and on occasion relocation of a strap button.

tedtan and odibrom like this.
  3. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

Hmm, I don't really wanna have the guitar super high though, it looks a bit weird... Also I feel like the picking hand/arm gets a bit more relaxed having it a bit lower than when sitting, which is pretty nice.

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Maybe try and find a happy medium. :shrug:

5. odibrom

odibrom .

Fuck "weird", get what's best for your play, fuck what others think about it... if that's the direction the "weird" though was going. Besides that, all of what @MaxOfMetal said. Mind that if your fingers are long, you can have your guitar lower, if not, bring it up, your fretting hand wrist will thank you latter!...

6. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Not sure how you do this but i use my wrist.

Maybe basic or common knowledge but worth noting I guess.

I have fairly small hands so instead of just trying to stretch my fingers longer than physically possible I shift my wrist to extend the pinky out a bit more