Strandberg Refinish

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by boogie2, Dec 7, 2018.

1. boogie2

boogie2 SS.org Regular

Hey all,

I'm thinking about refinishing my natural Strandberg Boden 7. Anybody out there have any experience doing this? Do you have a suggested procedure for stripping back the original satin finish/sealer (Other than lots of sandpaper?). Seems like a pretty thin finish, but I think it's poly so I'm not really sure what I'm getting into.

Thanks

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire hardtail crusader

it's pretty easy to strip the finish ime. I have a refinish thread for my boden 8 floating around in the luthiery section.

jemfloral likes this.
  3. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

And it’s glorious! I was super tempted to pick up a natural Boden just to try it!

jemfloral and KnightBrolaire like this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

5. boogie2

boogie2 SS.org Regular

Yeah, I found that thread and it came out looking great, I don't recall seeing much in the way of tips on stripping the previous satin finish. Anything I need to watch out for? My 7 has great flame but it's almost invisible because of the natural finish. I'm thinking of a subtle brown-amber burst... Might try using one of the Wudtone finishing kits.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018 at 2:18 PM
  6. KnightBrolaire

there's nothing complicated about it, it just involves a lot of sanding (or you could try a putty knife/heat gun, but it's not a very thick finish) and time. With power tools it goes a lot faster, but you can definitely do it by hand if need be. Whatever you use for your finish, make sure it cooperates with the stain/dyes you use. oil based stains won't mesh with water based finishes, or vice versa. alcohol/aniline dyes do work with either water or oil based finishes ime.

7. boogie2

boogie2 SS.org Regular

Cool, I'll just break out the belt sander :facepalm:... Thanks for the info.

8. odibrom

odibrom .

I'm not experienced in guitar finishes, but oil based finishes do work well over water based dies and paint, given they are well dried and there is no humidity left... at least this is how it works within the painting realm...

... however, for security sake, keep the same base: all water or all oil based paints/dies and finishes.

9. KnightBrolaire

oils can work over some water based dyes, but it's on a case by case basis ime. aniline dyes work with both water based and oil based.
    Depending on how vigorously the oil is applied it can lift color out. That happened to me with my boden when I used tru oil for the first few coats, after that it wasn't an issue. The best way to mitigate that is either apply your stains a bit darker than what you actually want, or apply something to protect the color like a sanding sealer/mist coat of clear and avoid rubbed/wiped on products.

odibrom likes this.
  10. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Yeah I've had dyes lift out from finishes. Especially water based ones. It's important to test on scrap first. Go to your local home improvement store or woodworking store and see if you can find a piece of figured maple.

11. KnightBrolaire

belt sander would make quick work of it, but also runs the greatest risk of messing stuff up ime. I mostly hand sanded mine with 80 grit for removing the finish so it is doable. Just use a sanding block for the flat areas to minimze hand cramps. Also remember to sand with the grain when you're prepping the surface for the dyes or stain, otherwise you'll have visible scratches.

aesthyrian and odibrom like this.
  12. boogie2

boogie2 SS.org Regular

Just joking about the belt sander, especially with a thin top. I'll hand sand it :)