Strandberg / Astral EXR Systems / Announcement!

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by ChrisLetchford, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asher

asher So Did We

God damn.

2. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

Hey guys, did any of you receive your Boden?

Still no news from mine... seems like there is an issue beyond just a pickup delivery delay... :ugh:

3. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Yeah I got mine! I've been playing pretty much just the Boden until yesterday when my HT6 arrived. Very impressed with it, and it's probably the nicest one I've ever had so far.

4. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

I was told mine would ship Tuesday but I just got the tracking today. Guess it left a little later than anticipated, not the end of the world. Should be here Friday at least! :D

5. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Here's a couple ....ty photos of mine, I don't have much time to do it now but I'll take photos with my Sony this weekend.

EDIT: The photos do no justice to the guitar, so I did a quick iPhone clip of it with some natural lighting. Top is fantastic on a lot of these, but most cameras honestly won't pick this up or what you'll be seeing with your own eyes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. tylerisdumb

tylerisdumb SS.org Regular

Congrats on getting your guitar! It is a beauty.

I'm noticing that the saddle barrels now have a small allen screw on them. Is that to keep the saddle from shifting? And does it elevate the 'pling' sound when bending or adding vibrato?

7. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Don't know the pling noise you're referring to, but yeah that's their purpose! Keeps the action locked in and not likely to change when the strings are off.

8. SevenStringJones

SevenStringJones Oh Billy

It could be a poorly done nut causing the pling noise. The Boden 6 I recently acquired has one the worst nuts I've seen. The slots for a few of the strings are cut very wide and allow the string to move a little. They make a small pling noise when they move. It's going to need a new one in the near future.

9. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I'm really keen to try that adjustable nut that Ola is developing. I wonder if we can get a set of those from him soon? I haven't honestly had any of mine or wore them down long enough to develop that but I've heard of the nut/zero fret wearing ping noise for sure.

10. tylerisdumb

tylerisdumb SS.org Regular

The first strandberg I owned had the nut issue. If I bent a note within the first 6 frets you could hear and feel the note slip in the slot.

On my 8 i can feel the string slip in the saddle when I bend or use wide vibrato past the 10th fret. I have taken the resistance spring out from under the saddle and stretched it a bit--as suggested--but this was a short-term fix. I can deal with it but I'm thinking maybe I can buy a couple of these new saddles for the high strings to solve this.

11. asher

asher So Did We

God, the last batch of tops has been absolutely stellar.

I'm really starting to think that I got the runt of the litter in terms of having any figure whatsoever.

12. cubix

cubix Spring of 86

I feel you man, but I wouldn't go as far as calling any top from this run stellar, a few were really nice. It seems to me not one guitar got everything right... Some have good limba some have good necks others decent tops. I have to be honest that I'm dissapointed with the woods in the run, especially the koa and limba. I'll be probably losing my deposit too...

13. matthew11490

matthew11490 Mix by Matt-2

I am on this run too.

To be honest, I am happy with Ryan and Ola response and communication but i wish they can do better by giving us chance to pick tops.
    Plus the build is flawless and solid, it's my first strandberg, the build quality and playability was far better than what I expect. However, the factory setup was poor, action was so high and neck wasn't straight at all, although it's an easy fix, I would expect a $3k guitar do a better job.

The only complain I have is I am very disappointed on how the Koa looks in this run. It was firstly promoted as figured Koa then becomes plain Koa, I felt deceived. I can't justify paying 3k for a plain Koa top while those Carvin Koa looks amazing and cost less. If they could clearly stated that it's Plain Koa, I would be totally ok with it.

Lastly, I don't really understand why people on this run are so tolerant either, it's not helping the company.

14. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Well for starters the run shouldn't have been advertised with a koa-topped M2M $6k+ guitar. You don't use picture of PRS private stocks to advertise what the $2.5k models are going to look like, etc.

15. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Did you ever get around to asking for any possible solutions to your guitar man?

And all the limba is fine, it's a varied wood to an extent larger than most other woods. I like the symmetry of mine and the fact that it's mostly lighter in color. I like that my coco neck is also very dark with slightly pronounced redness to it, the wood is going to eventually brown anyways so I don't care for/mind super streaky cocobolo.

The koa tops varied a lot, but there were several killer tops and some decent. I'm happy with mine overall, Cubix got the worst one in the run IMO. I honestly don't see anyone buying it off of him simply because of how plain it looks. Asher's has barely a bit of figuring but Cubix's has none at all, it might as well be a slab of mahogany.

[​IMG]

16. asher

asher So Did We

Wow, yeah. That is quite poor :(

To be honest, I'd been holding off until I saw them all go out... but the last batch has come out very nicely, IMO. So I'm going to figure out how to word something to Ryan.

17. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

I got mine yesterday and haven't spent a ton of time with it yet because I've been majorly busy. In person the top is not overly figured but again, I went into it with realistic expectations so it doesn't bother me. I'd love to have received a 5A top but the term "figured" taken at face value is sadly way too subjective. The top cubix got is one that I'd question a bit as far as even calling it "figured" though. :2c: That is unfortunate indeed, I don't think they should call that one figured but that's just my opinion.

All of that being said, I'm not disappointed with mine in the slightest. I played it for about an hour or so last night and it has the same quality feel to it that my others did. The frets and fretboard edges aren't *quite* as rounded as my CL7 was, but the fretboard was super nicely rolled on that one so perhaps I had just gotten lucky with that build. :) No issues that I could see from initial inspection and the neck pocket is *TIGHT* on mine! :D Plays and sounds amazing, really dig the 6'er endurneck shape too so I'm keeping it! :wub: Overall still very glad I jumped in through Ola after the run closed! :lol:

18. cubix

cubix Spring of 86

To be frank I requested a top that was "uniform without partial flaming", because I was scared when I saw some that had 1/3 of figuring and the rest was plain... My ocd wouldn't cope with that. Guess they were either some figuring or none at all :( I love my OS6, Strandberg is the intrument I want to play - period. But I should've placed an individual order I guess.

19. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Send it to Marty Bell and get a snazzy paint job!

20. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Because I don't feel like slogging through several pages trying to piece together errant bits of information, can someone please summarize what's been happening with Strandberg lately?

I know about the Boden OS model that is now being manufactured out of South Korea, something which I believe is still current but it'd be nice if someone confirmed. Now I'm hearing that Washburn is no longer building Strandys. True or false, and if true then why? Any other changes that are also worth mentioning?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.