Strandberg / Astral EXR Systems / Announcement!

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by ChrisLetchford, Apr 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tylerisdumb

tylerisdumb SS.org Regular

This may be conspiratorial, but it seems like Strandberg caught wind of the sub-par tops that were going out and ordered different timber for the second batch. Conjecture--possibly--but fishy none the less.

I wasn't part of the big order but I think I got lumped in. Ordered my guitar in December with the "curly koa" top, it has a section of figure but is pretty bare overall.

Sidenote, is that a 5 way? When was that an option?

[​IMG]

My solid koa Suhr Modern 7 questioned its relation with the strandberg.
    [​IMG]

2. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Conspiracies aside, I don't think they care enough to stress over something like that :lol:

And not in the sense that they don't care about their customers, but more in the sense of "What will they think of this top?", they most likely buy in bulk in the first place. As far as the koa wood being delayed because they had to order a few, they probably just ordered this batch since it's the very last of the Strandbergs being made at Washburn.

I actually quite like your top, it looks like the photo was boosted/edited a bit but it has some cool grain on it.

3. tylerisdumb

tylerisdumb SS.org Regular

No boost just the iPhone cam:) I would struggle to qualify it as "curly" though.

As to not caring, I think that is the issue. They should be thinking "will the customer like/be satisfied with this top?" Buying in bulk and using every part of the batch speaks to the ultimate objective of making profit, which is what business is about, but this should be balanced with satisfying the customer--right? You want to encourage repeat customers and making the aesthetic part of the strandberg guitar ordering process a gamble will hinder this. Maybe this is why the build process is back under Ola's supervision.

Ok, I'll take my captain obvious hat off now.

4. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Yeah definitely, the move is because of a different reason I think but yeah I wish all the tops on the run were consistently amazing.

5. Cloudy

Cloudy Dunvegan Guitars Contributor

I actually agree with Jonathan on this one, I really dig the grain on your koa. Its not really flamed but it has a lot of exciting and unique vertical figuring. Not exactly the kind of koa I think most people were expecting on this run, but not my least favourite out of the batch. All personal opinion of course.

This has been my issue with strandberg since I first purchased mine back in 2013. It sounds a bit riduclous to fault them for trying to save money and operate as a profittable business but at the same time they really don't take customers expectations into account when they're making a guitar. They frequently promote guitars with insanely nice tops and then turn around and sell customer guitars that look way worse.

Strandberg seems to love asking for forgiveness instead of spending an extra few bucks to make everyone happy. I'm glad that its being address now but after S7, the flamed maple top issues, and now this run of Koa I think theres a bit more to it then them accidently slipping on this run.

I know consistently sourcing figured woods can be tricky but this isn't so much an issue with customers not understanding the difficulty of sourcing good koa or maple but more so that strandberg seems to pin the loss on the person paying and not themselves hoping that they just wont complain.

6. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

I got pics of mine today too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like I said, I would have preferred a highly figured top for mine (that monster dead spot in the center of the top is not the best... Jonathan's built has a more consistent top at least :agreed:) but I'm not too upset with what I got as I said I wouldn't be. :shrug: Maybe it's just subliminal from having seen so many with ho-hum tips now but it doesn't bother me on these as much as it used to... :lol: Ah well, stoked to get it as I bet it will play and sound amazing! :D I also noticed mine will be coming with the blade switch which is perfect as I prefer that and if it comes with a 3-way blade it will make it easier for me to toss in a 5-way blade later! :yesway:

7. cubix

cubix Spring of 86

That kind of attitude, though noble, doesn't motivate a company to try very hard to satisfy the customers at a steep pricepoint. :rolleyes:

8. asher

asher So Did We

Y'alls are kind of more what I was expecting mine would be.

9. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

People complained about tops early on and they did better with their maple tops immediately after, or the ones that still weren't great went back. It's down to the buyer, if they think you have a legit case they might do something. If every single person complains I'm not sure they'll start discounting every build. Could be part of why they're moving operations back to Sweden? :shrug: Either way, I'm not trying to flip mine so there's that too. :wavey:

10. cubix

cubix Spring of 86

I'm actually ready to pull the trigger on it after all, got some funds incoming but seeing how the tops and the limba is turning out I'm not sure... not that anyone is going to buy it off me after seeing the photos, if they looked like Plinis then it would be long gone but then again I wouldn't even consider letting it go :)

11. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Yeah that wasn't a dig at you directly, I meant I didn't get my order in with the run because I was planning to flip it so I personally wasn't overly concerned with how the top turned out since I wasn't being charged anything extra for it, so in my eyes it was basically a plain top. It would have been lovely if it was a highly flamed piece but if it wasn't (and appears it isn't going to be based on those pics of my actual guitar :lol:) I had no intention of making a stink about it or asking for a partial refund. Again, that's just me, not saying folks don't have the right to be upset/annoyed, I just went into it not worrying about it so I wasn't shocked when I saw what they delivered. :lol: Sadly figured wood is always a gamble and their stock has been hit or miss historically so I don't know who their supplier is but I'm guessing they shop more based on bulk discount prices than they do for more expensive, highly figured pieces. :2c:

12. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Mine should be shipping today, fingers crossed! Anyone get new photos/shipping confirmation yet?

13. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

You're lucky...

mine has 2 months delay compared to the announced initial shipping date (25th May)... seems like they were waiting for the pickups from Seymour Duncan... :rolleyes:

14. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Haven't heard a peep. I had asked for back shots when I received the two above and have not heard from Ryan since. :lol: My pics were sent right when yours were though, so I anticipate hearing back any day now that it is done and they want the final payment.... they don't seem to waste time with those emails! ;)

15. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

I hope you gets yours soon, not to fault them but photos of these things under proper lighting will be amazing :D

That and I can't wait to get my hands on a Boden once again!

16. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

Any news on the shipping for yours?

They're really late on all orders it seems!! :noplease:

17. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

It's on it's way to me, yeah sadly they're a bit late but I'm not upset about it or anything. My estimate was June 25th, but I'm not going to freak out over it because the guys over at Washburn aren't just chilling out doing nothing. They're building these everyday that they're in the shop. Pickup delays made certain builds get pushed back, like yours and that's clearly not their fault :lol:

Maybe I'm a little more understanding because I've spoken to the guys there many times and guys like Ryan have helped me immensely on both this guitar and others.

Either way, here's 2 shots of the completed build. Really happy with how it turned out :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Yeah I agree, Ryan has been great to work with, just seems like I need to give him the initial request for info but once I do he follows through! Speaking of which, pinged him again today, my Boden 6 is done and will ship next week!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So hot!!!! :wub: This is also the first time I've seen the back of mine, the black limba has a bit of flame going on too! :yum: Between the PS this week and the Strandberg next week, I am in gear heaven right now!!! :lol:

19. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

Wow those look so nice!! :)

I'm not really upset... Only not a very patient guy ;)

And that's true that Ryan is a super helpful and friendly guy

Hope I will get a shipping notification soon!!

20. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

Mine is all paid off and should ship next week! Yay!!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.