Strandberg and Kiesel 7 string multiscale pickup options

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Frey, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

Salutations! I hope everyone is doing well.

Straight to it; I'm wondering what my best options are for swapping pickups in a potential Strandberg Boden 7 and/or a Kiesel MS such as the Zeus.

I just cannot manage to like actives in the case of the Strandberg and I am no fan of the Lithiums. As far as what I'm in the market for, I love passives and generally prefer Alnico to ceramic. SD fanboy also. If I could just throw a Pegasus/Sentient set in both I'd be a happy camper.

Would it be possible to simply throw a normal set of passive pups into the Strandberg given it's mild fan?

I assume that for the Kiesel my only options would be companies like Instrumental, Elysium, Guitarmory etc.. All of them seem highly regarded so choosing would be tough.

As always, any input is very much appreciated. :)

2. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

If it’s a “normal” pickup (not soap bar), you likely can just take the bobbins from any pickup and put them onto the slanted baseplates that came one the guitar’s original pickups.

If the guitar originally had soapbars that cant be disassembled (like EMGs) or that don’t really have a normal baseplate (Lace), you kinda have to stick with those specialty makers you mentioned.

Frey likes this.
  3. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

Thank you for the response!

Is moving the bobbins a simple process? I may be searching wrong but I'm not finding anything around the net. My area is devoid of competent techs so I would be doing it myself.

Regarding the soapbars thought; Do you happen to know if Fishman pups have a normal baseplate? Those are what I'd be specifically replacing if I go the Strandberg route.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

yeah you can swap duncans onto different baseplates, or hit up elysian/instrumental/guitarmory for custom work/rewinds.
    elysian makes drop in replacements for strandberg iirc. all of those companies offer great pickups, it's just a matter of finding a pickup voicing you'll like. the trident is a great choice from elysian for a variety of tones . guitarmory's orion set is a good choice as well.
    Have you tried the fishmans yet? or the lithiums? I wouldn't recommend replacing them until you've at least tried them out with your rig.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  5. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Fishmans I think are like EMGs: you cannot disassemble them.

I actually like the Fishmans. They sound “generic” to me in a good way. Unless there is something pretty specific you want in a pickup, if the Fishmans fit I would think anyone could work with them.

Oh, and I wouldn’t call swapping baseplates hard: you just unscrew the bobbins, unsolder them from the baseplate and reattach them to the new baseplate. But there is the potential to destroy the pickup I suppose if you managed to break the wire wound around the bobbins. But as long as you’re not monkeying around with them, that would be hard to do.

6. Frey

Frey SS.org Regular

Thank you for the response. Always love seeing your name and avatar pop up haha.

I have tried the Fishmans in my LTD SH7 for close to two months now and I like them a hell of a lot more than other actives I've tried but as soon as I pick up a guitar with a good set of passives in it I realize they are just not for me. I've done a lot of AB recordings too and just prefer passives.

I will admit I have minimal experience with the Lithiums and am mostly going on audio I've heard around the web. I'd say I have about 2-3 hours cumulatively playing on and old friends Vader. That was awhile ago but I wasn't immediately impacted by them at all like the first time I played an SD Pegasus or BK Black Dog (seldom seen but amazing offering from BK). I feel like they might be better in a darker wood like Mahogany since the recurring theme I'm reading and seeing is that they can be very shrill.

I actually do like the Fishman's too, strangely for lead playing especially but I just still find myself wanting passives. I adore the Pegasus in my RG152.

And that doesn't sound too bad. I'm really cautious and slow moving with these types of things so I'd like to assume I wouldn't break anything.

7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire git gud scrub

I came to the same conclusion. I think the fluences are good, but I don't think they're quite as good as some of the passives I've tried.
    lithiums are quite bright. There are ways to mitigate it like installing a different capacitor on your tone knob, but they really work better in warmer sounding guitars. I only really liked them in one of my kiesels. I think they're still a great stock pickup set, they just really need to be in a certain guitar to shine.

8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

this. you have every option.
    The strandberg is a bit more complicated since the fan and the way they route means you need something a little special.
    That being said, instrumental, bkp, elysian etc can do it.
    Instrumental can probably make you a set of baseplates and a cover so you can swap yourself too.

The important part is getting a set of baseplates that can be swapped onto.

9. Taikatatti

Taikatatti SS.org Regular

Instrumental does replacement pickups with the 14 degree angle for kiesels. I have the SFTY-3 on my vm7 and it fuckin rips.