Strandberg 2017 lineup

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by sixesandsevens, Jan 17, 2017.

1. MSUspartans777

MSUspartans777 SS.org Regular

Yeah I've only seen them on the custom shop and made to measure guitars.

2. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Hey guys, I think I have a lead on a discounted B-stock Boden Metal that'll be up on the site in the next week or so.

GXPO likes this.
  3. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I've tried two different Strandberg custom shop 8s and didn't get along with either (something about the scale length and zero fret makes low Es sound weird and bad to me) but I'm definitely tempted by a Metal 6 or 7.

4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I wonder how much the discount would be if they resold it. As long as they replaced the zero fret.

5. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

:lol:

I don't know what those raised bits are or how bad they could get, but if you guys want to try it go for it. I'll let you know how the replacement is.

6. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Man, this is just nonsense. Something can't be a $1k guitar sold for $2k. It's a $2k guitar.

Lots of $1k guitars can be $3k killers, in that variance in quality increases as price decreases -- it doesn't stop there from being diamonds in the rough, and different shops and teams within shops have wholly incomparable consistencies in putting out high quality stuff.

jemfloral and Kodee_Kaos like this.
  7. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Well bad news, and to condense all of it into a short statement. The replacement isn't as good, and Ed unfortunately told me he sent me the best of the 4 instocks they had at the moment of inspection.

Fretwork is sloppier, tool marks. There's some glue and goop on the fretboard and frets, which actually came from the Fishmans. Ed has been working nonstop to clean it off of this batch of pickups and unfortunately it got on the strings/fretboard/frets during the cleanup. But the adhesive plastic screen that comes over the Fishmans is leaving behind that residue.

The weirdest part of this guitar, is it seems to have some kind of veneer binding, I got it in and played it. Felt solid, but when I went to wipe the neck down with my micro fiber cloth I felt something crack off and it was a part of that "binding". My first one had nothing like this, so this was just strange to me. You can see across several different points that it's got edges so it could crack off like this all over the fretboard just from a light swipe with a cloth.

I asked Ed if there really are no comparable ones to my first, but seeing as he sent me the best of the available set. I think I'm just going to walk out of this with a refund instead of another Strandy.

8. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

Damn, that's a shame, I'm sorry to hear that :(

9. diagrammatiks

Now...are the other ones that are floating around as good as your first one. Or mostly like your second....hmmmm

10. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Who knows, at this point it's the owner's word against the experiences of that guitar. And if I know most people, they won't openly say their guitar sucks/had problems until after they've sold it or gotten rid of it. I personally have no reason to lie about my gear, and that first Boden 6 was killer. In perspective I should have probably just asked him to level the 0 fret and had him ship it back. Since the 2 small bubbles under the finish wasn't going to do much in the way of worsening with time.

11. diagrammatiks

Has me kind of worried about my goliath. I think with all the cites stuff going on right now...wmi does not have its shit together especially for these smaller harder runs.

12. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

What...what happened to the hype, guys?

I was finally annoyed enough to spot-level the random high frets on my glans-purple '17 OS, and will level the whole board when I feel like setting my nicer, cheaper guitars down in favor of lowering the action on the Boden.

It's worth saying I've never had to do that on this $$$ of a guitar.

13. diagrammatiks

Still getting a prog 7 and a metal. Having the authorized dealer in Hong Kong order them so I can play them first.

Shrug

14. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

Well, it's a shame this happened, but as far as I know it's still not the norm. Mine is still perfectly fine.

15. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Dude hype is such a buzzword it's annoying at this point. "What's with the hype?", is all you hear from everyone nowadays.

I played a buddy's Boden, missed one after having a great experience with Washburn's CS and decided to get another one in for it's comfort and unique features. Shit happens, but the people who tend to talk about hype around companies are usually the ones that feed that fire themselves.

No one can guarantee you'll walk out happy from any transaction with 100% certainty. I had hoped my 2nd one would be killer, but it wasn't the case. What I will give props to the Strandberg guys on, is great customer service. Responses to emails at 2am their time within minutes, because I got home late from work and happened to check out the guitar then. And complete honesty and a very quick solution. I could have waited for another batch and tested the waters, but Ed instead of leading me on with uncertainties offered me a full refund and told me that it'd be a large wait and I probably wouldn't want to get stuck on that. The man is actually working late hours putting in time on each guitar just to get them up to par.

Just don't be dumb and buy into products that don't provide a safe out in case you run into problems as a customer.

tl;dr, Hype is an extremely overused buzzword in the guitar community and it's tiring to hear constantly. And also deal with both ends of it, people who feed it, and those profit on it by pushing their own motives.

16. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

Sorry to hear these stories..

Just got my Boden Metal 8 and I must say it is flawless and really nice. (NGD to follow).

I think the quality has stepped up from the older OS models, especially the fret job!

I have inspected mine carefully and I must say that as picky as I could be, there's nothing to complaint about.

That's my 4th Boden (with the 5th one coming soon from the Custom shop)...

17. eayottes

eayottes SS.org Regular

Damn, that sucks (Jonathan220222). I just received my Metal 7 but didn't have time to open it. I hope I'm more lucky than you. Anyhow, I hope your problems get resolved quickly.

Dumb question: this will be my first Strandberg (and my first 7-string), are there any guitar strap requirements I'm not aware of or will any guitar strap do the job ? (yeah, I could just Google it... I guess I'm lazy)

18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

any strap will do.

19. Soya

Soya Not a musician Contributor

I'd recommend some flush mount strap locks, so the upper horn strap button doesn't jab your chest like a disobedient woodpecker while you're playing.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

or you could move the strap pin to the horn. that's what I did.