Strandberg 2017 lineup

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by sixesandsevens, Jan 17, 2017.

1. C_Henderson

C_Henderson SS.org Regular

Hey, I'll be the first to say that I am still getting used to the Strandberg and that down the line I might find some things I may not like as much, as with any other guitar, but the least you could do is give me some credit. As I said, they cost A LOT of money for a production guitar, so if it wasn't perfect you can be sure I wouldn't keep it. Your experience with them may not have been that good, and I completely agree that some of their OS models left quite a bit to be desired. But that's not at all what I got, so what I'm trying to gather is whether that vision of "cool and comfortable design, but poor QC and overpriced" that some people have is still true or not, because based on what I've played and seen in the last few weeks it may not be the case anymore.

And why don't you try seeing it the other way round? I'm not saying that your Vigier is "just" as good as a Korean guitar (as if that mattered?) a nobody just happened to buy: Vigiers are fantastic guitars, it's that the Korean guitar I just bought has ended up being better than I expected, and as good as the Vigier and better than the Fender I've been playing until now (and of which I just happened to sell the Excalibur HSS I've had for the past 5 years).

Regarding the setup, as soon as I got it I checked everything was working and in place, and I set it up at ~1.3 to 1.5 mm as I do with all my guitars. No fret buzz anywhere on the fretboard.

To give a counter example, my experience with Carvin/Kiesel, since you just mentioned them, has left a lot to be desired. Add to that all the ongoing issues with their QC and customer service, and the fact that they're simply not a good value in Europe, and it's understandable that I'd never consider buying one or that I don't have a good image of them. But that doesn't mean I'll just write them all off as poor or that I won't listen to anyone who happens to like theirs, because I know they can get it right and I do like some of their work. Strandberg made some mistakes last year with their first OS line, but maybe they've learned from those mistakes and this time they've got it right?

Oh, and just to make it clear, I wasn't comparing it to anything like a custom Suhr, PRS or ESP. Of course I know those are in another league (and also a lot more expensive), I was talking about the Classic, the CE-24 and the M-III respectively, which specifically were the other ones I was considering before getting the Strandberg.

I hope that didn't look like senseless rambling and I got the idea across in the end, it's almost 1 A.M. here and I've been working since this morning.

2. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Marcwormjim, anyone who remembers my posts and rants will tell you that my stance on the OS and Korean line was a hard pass. I was from the start an avid promoter to NOT pay 2k for a guitar from WMI.

I took a chance on this because the design of the Metal Line is so attractive and well thought out. That it's very close to something I'd want, and speaking to Ola and a few guys on the team I got the vibe that they've been refined to a certain point.

I cannot speak to everyone else, my guitar is great and it's very apparent why. The time put into this guitar is perceivable, the fretwork is so nice and well done. And I've had 7 or 8 Washburn Strandbergs in the past, I can very easily make the comparison that this specific Boden surpasses the feel of those guitars. My roommate has a CL7 and he wants to sell that and buy a Metal 7 to replace it because at 2/3 of the cost and having pickups he wants to try. They're killer.

Duds are always a possibility in any production, I could have gotten lucky. But I was the last person you could convince that I'd get a build this nice from a factory in Korea. I'm meticulous about build and quality in general, if a guitar doesn't feel like what I put in cash wise. Then it goes back, it's as simple as that. I don't accept flaws on my guitars.

My Koaberg, my last Washburn guitar came with a nut that was so improperly cut that the strings developed divots in the 0 fret BEFORE I got it. I have a few pictures of the string angle as it reaches the 0 fret on that guitar in my email and seeing the nut and height being cut at the correct height on this Metal series had me overjoyed. I've experienced 3-4k disappointments from a US factory, and to see such a positive experience from a Korean factory not only by myself and others is refreshing.

Let me be honest too, even though the reason I don't own anymore Kiesels is due to things other than the build quality of my guitars (Aka the guitars were great until the last one, but I couldn't support the company after the Customer Service I was met with when something did go wrong). But Kiesel's model is very different from what other brands offer. They are great guitars when they come out and arrive great, but beyond design and brand specific features. A good strandberg is going to outpace a good Vader.

Strandberg has a lot of selling points over it's uniqueness and features. And depending on interest and curiousity some people might be willing to pay more or less to try or have them. Ultimately the reason why I reignited my GAS for one. I played my friend Nick's OS6, recognized how solid it was and when I purchased my Metal I was met with a stellar guitar that definitely feels like it is worth it's 2.2k price tag.

It's sitting on my Rack next to a PDN JP6, a Caparison Horus M3, and a Suhr Modern Pro and Suhr Custom 7. The Metal stands as a very strong case that the factory has ramped up and are producing extremely tight and well playing instruments. I bought the Boden half hoping that it wouldn't be as nice as them, I took the gamble because I missed the comfort of the design. And after playing it all weekend I am going to be keeping it as a part of my collection for a long time.

I get where you're coming from because that was my stance too in the past. The OS line had hiccups and a few lemons, but at the very least strandberg took care of them. But I still held that firm stance, and you can see that from my post history and even a few posts in this very threat. But I'm very happy to be proven wrong.

GXPO, Hollowway and SevenStringJones like this.
  3. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Forgot to post pics, here's a few of my Boden Metal 6.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hollowway, J_Mac and Kyle01 like this.
  4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I think having caveats in recommendations is a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

I have 2 os's.

My os7 is an older one with the rosewood fretboard and the series 4 hardware. It's got some problems. The neck build is wonky at best and needs a fret leveling and maybe some minor neck repair work.

my os6t is new and one of the last ones they made before they switched product line around. It's perfect. great fretwork, perfectly straight neck, low action. I haven't really heard any complains concerning this last batch.

If they were all like my seven I'd definitely tell people to stay away. I still tell people to stay away from the older ones.

But if they are like my 6, I'd have no problem spending 2k on one.

By all accounts the new wmi's are even higher quality.

The price difference versus the older wmi's isn't as large as marc makes it out to be either.

5. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Let's leave the guys who save up two grand and are still a few hundred short to reach their own conclusions.

I don't mean to rain on everybody's honeymoons when my reaction to a post includes me rambling in-depth as to why prospective buyers shouldn't be expecting a $1k guitar sold for $2k to be a $3k killer. That I own one myself is a heartfelt endorsement for the guitar as it truly is, though it seems my tendency to roll my eyes at hype tends to put me at odds with other owners of niche guitars (I remember catching similar flak when I unfavorably compared a "refined" Parker Fly I owned to an older one I owned, during a period where US Music Corp was dictating to every Parker enthusiast that the newer guitars were superior in every way).

I hadn't forgotten Jonathan's turmoil with Kiesel; am happy for him, and feel he deserves nothing short of the best. If his new guitar inspires him more than his Caparison or Suhrs, then...that's called having a new guitar. No better feeling in the world. But I'm also allowed to imagine him wearing the Strandberg in ninja turtle socks and jumping on a bunk bed while he typed this:

When I read it the second time, I noticed none of the exclamation points I had imagined were actually there. You're right to be elated at finally getting a Strandberg that surpasses your expectations, and I swear I want nothing more than for this to hold true for you - As I'll likely be banned for posting this quote in your "For Sale" thread a few months from now.

Let's hear/see some clips of that bastard!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    Hollowway likes this.
  6. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Well first off it'd be Zelda inspired socks, and I happen to be very proud of my exotic wood bunk bed :lol:

I'll probably be way too lazy to actually get some clips posted, but if I do I'll put em up here.

Lemons likes this.
  7. C_Henderson

Here's a pic as promised. Still have to get used to the fanned fretboard on the upper registers, but surprisingly adjusting to the Endurneck has been a breeze.

http://imgur.com/a/tY2af

[​IMG]

PS: Image uploaded to Imgur, the file is apparently too large to post it here directly.

PS. Holy shit it is large indeed! :facepalm:

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  8. diagrammatiks

I guess if it was the 1500 fire sale price versus the 2200 new model price I could see it...but being able to save up 2k and then being 200 short? Does not compute.

I don't think anyone expects these to be 3k guitar killers...although both of mine are comparable to any of the caparisons I've played. The newer ones are about as good as any 1k-1.5k guitar I've ever played. The suhrs I've played and the andersons I've owned are better but they are also way more.

Even if you told me it was just 1k for the eduraneck, the hardware, and the pickups I'd be fine with that. Small batch custom hardware is expensive as shit.

9. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

That's Marcworm's entire point, they're as good as any 1k guitar you can find, for 2k.

10. C_Henderson

The thing is, they're not. They're just as good as pretty much any 2-2.5k range guitar from any reputable brand, no more and no less: noticeably better than any 1.5k guitar I've ever played or owned, but of course not as good as most 3k+ guitars (nor they intend to be). After spending more time with mine I 100% agree with Jonathan, they're worth every penny of the 2-2.5k price tag.

11. diagrammatiks

But you can't buy a 1k guitar with Swedish hardware, an eduraneck and fluences?

Plus that's not really the point I was making. I said even if they were only 1500 of quality the unique stuff makes it worth it.

If you aren't really after a headless with the edurneck and the ergonomics and the low weight...like why are you even in this thread? Just buy a used prestige.

At any rate...I do agree that the older ones are a bit inconsistent. I can say this from personal experience since there are issues on my rosewood 7 that are not present on my maple 6t. That being said my 6t is fantastic. And if the new ones are at the quality of my 6 or higher they are easily worth 2k+.

If the classics are even half as good as even my 7 I'm gonna get three of them.

12. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

The price tag doesn't solely reflect the build quality, it's also made up of the components used including availability on the market and efforts to manufacture. If you want the 50th Strat copy or Superstrat, look somewhere else. The hardware alone is massively expensive, even a Hipshot headless guitar set costs 400 USD and they can produce cheaper than Strandberg due to their volumes. For a batch of maybe 100-200 (maybe less) Boden Metals, Strandberg won't get a big discount on the Fluence PU set - that also costs 300 on top. The manufacturing sites also have an upcharge for multiscales, the necks with carbon layers and so on. From my perspective, the Bodens are absolutely worth the price. And if you can't agree, here comes the best point: you don't have to buy one.

xzacx likes this.
  13. marcwormjim

This site exists to sell ads; and runs on hype. Once this particular hype does down, it will be clear that neither myself, diagrammatiks, Jonathan, or c_henderson, in our capacity as owners, have really disagreed; so much as some eagerly defended their hype. We all agree on the premises that overhead has dictated the cost of the Koreaburgs, that expectional quality is a bonus, and that, were the overhead not what it is, they would handily outclass anything in the resulting pricepoint.

This exchange best represents our differing positions:

The response starts out agreeing that such expectations are unreasonable, reassures that no one is honestly holding such expectations...Then immediately claims his new guitar handily meets such expectations. Again; we're not in disagreement - Diagrammatiks has only taken the agreed-upon premises and reached a differing (and exciting) conclusion. Good for him.

What we should be doing, instead, is getting to the real matter: How come none of you losers bought Ibanez Prestiges instead?

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

I refuse to buy another strandberg until they make an 8 string singularity.

Hollowway likes this.
  15. diagrammatiks

1. You start out by saying that they are 1k guitars for 2k and then saying they aren't 3k guitar killers. All the Caparisons I've had a chance to play were listed at 2k. If anyone has just been repeating their very confusing viewpoint at nausuam it isn't me.

2. They can be inconsistent depending on when they were made so make sure to take advantage of return policies and price dedications on used ones.

3. I have three used prestiges.

16. marcwormjim

17. MSUspartans777

MSUspartans777 SS.org Regular

I purchased a Plini Prog edition back in January and got it on July 17th.

I wanted to comment on the build quality considering everyone is a little uneasy about the pricing. The build quality is amazing. I owned a USA Washburn CL7 for the longest time and the Pliniberg (Made at WMI) has every bit the build quality the CL7 had. Honestly, the Plini is immaculate and the CL7 had some blemishes in the finish on the neck. The pricing is a little high considering I paid around 3k for the USA CL7 but in the end, I'm happy with the purchase and the guitar shreds.

I don't think we should be upset about the 2017 pricing. The custom shop is where the pricing is insane.

18. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Quick update on mine, getting a replacement in.

The zero fret actually already developed divots and it's abnormal and far too soon for that to happen. But the bigger issue is something my roommate pointed out, 2 spots on the body seem to be raised a bit and in our uneducated opinion it could be captured air underneath the gloss or gloss that wasn't properly cured and raised in transit. Really hard to photograph but definitely an be felt.

Ed is shipping me out a replacement from the next shipment and I'll be sending this one back unfortunately.

19. MSUspartans777

MSUspartans777 SS.org Regular

Sucks man. Ed is pretty easy to work with. Hope your next one is better.

I'm really really interested in the Boden Metal 8. Finish looks awesome paired with the ebony fretboard. I would love to hear from anyone who has one.

20. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Should be all good, wish we could get the adjustable nut pieces on these. That would be insane.