Store dilemma

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by bob123, Jun 16, 2012.

1. bob123

bob123 Banned

Ok... so I bought an "american standard" stratocaster today. I paid 449, but after discounts it was ~400 out the door. GREAT price for it.

Post some pictures on chat, and it turns out its a Highway 1 strat. This makes me incredibly angry. I feel like returning it, out of principle. On the flipside, its one of the best playing/sounding strats Ive ever played and its still american strat for 400$..

Im thinking I need to bring it up there and "WTF?!" them. Some think I should eat it and smile. Am I out of line being pissed??? c

2. Brill

Brill sweet little lolita.

Definitely Get annoyed at the store, False advertising is Illegal

3. bob123

bob123 Banned

I dont think theyh did it on purpose, but I definitely feel like I need to "WTF" them.

I feel childish too, I know 400$ is a great price for a hwy 1, but still, the tag said "American Standard" and thats what I expected.

this would be OH so much easier if this guitar didnt play and sound amazing haha.

4. Guitarman700

Guitarman700 SS.org Regular

What store was it? I'm in Michigan too, so I'm curious.

5. bob123

bob123 Banned

guitar center , kzoo.

6. Guitarman700

Guitarman700 SS.org Regular

Ah. Well, color me slightly unsurprised. They had a few mislabeled and overpriced/underpriced gear last time I was in there.

7. bob123

bob123 Banned

My wife is firends with the GM, so Im sure they will "fix it" but its still annoying :(

I feel like im being a whiny ass hole, but I paid for a certain item and got something else, I dunno.....

lol just noticed, traverse city! youre WAY up there broseph! :)

8. bob123

bob123 Banned

think im just gonna bring it up and "WTF" them and see what happens :p

wish me luck! :p

9. Ryan-ZenGtr-

Ryan-ZenGtr- SS.org Regular

There's only one GC in Chicago, right? I bought a JP in there. Nice store, if you can dodge the Reps and be left alone; less talking more time to buy guitars! :D

There's also a good Sushi restaurant on the way back to the loop / train. :D

Note; Chicago GC is the only GC I've ever been to in America, just thought I'd give it a :yesway: . :D

10. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

the price should have made you think it was a little sketchy probably, unless it said it was a blow out 50 percent off sale or something like that right?

11. bob123

bob123 Banned

Price doesnt bug me. I've bought 1500$ guitars for 600$ at guitar center before. I don't know much about fenders honestly, so I had to take their word. ONLY reason I found out its a highway 1 is its a rare color and I tried to find out what it is.

12. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Since it's a GC, it's really hard to say that the tag was deliberately misleading- it was probably a genuine error. Despite the Highway 1's reputation and attractive price point, they kind of fly under the radar, and whomever stocked it probably saw it was MIA and tagged it as the most common MIA model.

13. bob123

bob123 Banned

Oh If I thought it was deliberate on any level, Id take it back, get my money and NEVER shop there again.

I just think I paid for an "american standard" so they need to fix this. I can get a NEW highway 1 for not a whole bunch more money then what I paid.

14. bob123

bob123 Banned

fuckin squeaky wheel gets the grease man :)

I go up there and talk to the guitar manager there. He was super apologetic and asked me I wanted a refund, or how I wanted to go about it. He got the GM involved, who then says "So do you like this guitar?" I say yeah, thats what bummed me about it. "Well, heres what we can do. I sold you an american standard, so you can go pick a different one off the wall, or I can take some money off this one for you"....

They had several, but one in particular caught my eye. A wine red 40th anniversary.

I play it and it sounds and plays great. He comes up asks me If I want that one.... kicker, it comes with a case!! Its in near mint condition too.

Quite pleased with guitar center and how this turned out. ONLY DOWNFALL, the guitar is on police hold until thursday haha :p I will survive...

edit : heres a couple pictures, Ill be doinga NGD obviously... :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Murmel

Murmel Fapping to J-rock

It's good to research Fender a bit before purchasing, because there's usually not that much that sets them apart from eachother on first glance.
    I guess the Highway One said Made in Mexico on the headstock? At least it should have. It also has the large 70's headstock, which none of the standards have.

16. bob123

bob123 Banned

*sigh..

Heres the highway 1, of which you should do some research on too apparently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. JStraitiff

JStraitiff Melodic Mamma Jamma

id be embarrassed that i didnt know the difference before i bought it.

If its a good guitar and a good price for the guitar it is then whatever. Let it be. You got a deal.

18. Murmel

Murmel Fapping to J-rock

Well, fuck did I know that they came with normal headstocks too. Every single one I've seen has had the 70's. They only have the 70's model on the official Fender website too.

http://www.fender.com/en-SE/products/search.php?partno=0111162306

[​IMG]

And my bad that I thought they were made in Mexico.

bob123 likes this.
  19. bob123

bob123 Banned

Its all good :) Theres a reason everyone thought it was a normal american strat haha It looks the part for the most part.

All in all I got a really good deal out of it, so Im VERY happy with this :p

:shred:

20. bob123

bob123 Banned

no.