Stolen Guitar Day

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by ascl, Dec 3, 2017.

1. ascl

ascl SS.org Regular

Kind of the opposite of a "NGD".

Some utter %^&^% has stolen 3 guitars out of a self storage unit I was renting. I rented this storage unit to put a bunch of stuff in, including some of my guitars, because I am trying to sell my apartment, and so are having a lot of people through. I figured it was safer in a "secure" storage unit... guess I was wrong. Discovered this yesterday and spent the day doing paper work and police statements etc

Guitars lost:
    - Navigator LP480STD (2013) (NGD: http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/ngd-navigator-content.248432/)
    - Ibaneze S5521q 2014 (I think)
    - PRS SE black single cut

I'm most upset about the first one, it was completely mint condition, and I had ordered it with a minor modification (no pick guard or pick guard screw hole) from Japan.

The lock on the unit was untouched, so I assume they went through the roof (which is just wire mesh). I spoke to the police and they will dust for prints, but I don't like my chances. Of course the police said "oh yeah that's pretty common" :(

So, if anyone in see's a mint navigator in a pawn shop in Sydney, please let me know (or call the cops). I'm trying to keep perspective here... it is just a thing and no one is injured or anything, but I'm pretty bummed out about it.

2. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

Thats terrible, I hope you get your stuff back.

Its has to be said though....

"Secure storage unit" and "wire mesh roof"

Shouldnt really go together....

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

oh man...
    Im really sorry to hear this.
    Stealing is just so low. What a scumbag.

I hope you get them back.

Police are so negative etc it makes me laugh.
    Pathetic.

4. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

I kinda don't want to like your post because there is nothing to like about it, but I'm sure this online community certainly stands with you in thinking that it is despicable and wishing you every success in getting them back.

downburst82, Wolfhorsky and lewis like this.
  5. pylyo

pylyo SS.org Regular

Dude, not the Navi! :(
    Amazing guitars, probably my next purchase..

6. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Best of luck man, hope you get your axes back!

7. narad

narad SS.org Regular

ugh, sorry to hear it! I just heard last week of a storage being robbed in California IIRC, made off with 8 or so pretty high end guitars. Like you I would have thought this was the safer option!

btw, the NGD pics no longer work so it might be best to up some so everyone can keep an eye out. Not many navigators out there.

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  8. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

ouch this hurts mate ! :(

9. mystix

mystix SS.org Regular

Horrible. Sorry to hear this.

10. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Scooped All The Mids

Sorry to hear man, hopefully you get them back ASAP.

11. ascl

ascl SS.org Regular

You are 100% correct. I did a number of dumb things:
    - stored my guitar somewhere I don't have regular access
    - used "secure" storage that has access via the roof. Note that the "mesh" is very heavy gauge, you wouldn't be able to snip it with normal wire cutters... but it isn't the point. Also, CC is essentially worthless for storage units. The time window is about 5 weeks, which is an enormous amount of footage to check.
    - Stored the certificate of authenticity with my guitar

In hindsight it's all abundantly clear :( But please, anyone reading this and thinking of storing your guitar somewhere... BE CAREFUL.

I don't seem to able to edit my original post... so here are some pics:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Note that the Navvy has no screw hole for a pickguard. It should be pretty rare (and, of course, I have the serial number to check for sure).

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  12. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

My sympathies. None of my stolen instruments have ever been recovered, though I periodically see one traded back and forth on eBay in other countries.

An acquaintance of mine had most of his gear stolen through the wall of the unit - The perp just lifted the sheet metal, then went around town bragging about it until he was arrested. I don’t know that any of the flipped guitars have been recovered, since.

13. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

That's awful man, sorry to hear that. I hope you get them back.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  14. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

You'd be negative too seeing the same shit day in and day out. That's what is pathetic, not the cop's negativity.

Hope OP gets his shit back, but wire mesh? Why would you put stuff like that in a unit with a wire mesh roof?

15. khm

khm SS.org Regular

Really sorry to hear that man, I had a few of my guitars pinched a few years ago - so I know how you feel man! I did manage to get one of them back (via a pawn shop) but the one was lost to the ether. really hope you managed to track them down and get them back buddy, my heart goes out to you.

16. oppgulp

oppgulp SS.org Regular

Sorry to hear that. I hope you get your guitars and other stuff back.

17. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

Did anyone else in the units near or around you get hit as well? How long have you had your stuff in the unit?

If you're the only victim and you haven't had your stuff in there very long, it could mean that someone targeted you because they knew what you had in there. If that is the case, might not hurt to question some people close to your circle.

I'm guessing there's no type of insurance or reimbursement the facility offers in cases like this?

18. Power2theMetal

Power2theMetal The deal was rigged

I'm sorry to hear this! I really hope you get your guitars back. Best of luck...

19. ascl

ascl SS.org Regular

Only 2 months, and as far as I know, no other units targeted. Suspicious right? However, other than my wife, no one else knew the details of where we or what we had stored... and as much as my wife thinks I'm crazy for owning multiple guitars, she encourages my hobby, and has probably talked me into buying more guitars than I would have without her (yeah, she is a keeper!).

My guess is someone on staff (or who knows staff) at the storage place were involved.

There is insurance, and I have made a claim. It doesn't replace those specific instruments, but is at least some compensation.

As another update, I met the police tech person and had them dust anything that might get prints, but they couldn't get anything useful, just lots of smears. I also checked the local pawn shops, and left my number there in case they see something that I might be interested in.

The mesh roof thing... is really common here, I have never seen a storage place that didn't do it like that (not that I have been to massive number), so I didn't think much of it. Very much a stupid move, and one I will never make again. With the police tech, we climbed up and had a look, and yeah, it was pretty trivial for anyone to get in like that. I assume someone saw my take them in, and let someone else know about it.

Thanks for all support. Will keep checking the usual places for second instruments, and see if they come up.

20. Wolfos

Wolfos SS.org Regular

That's super upsetting very sorry to hear about that. Some people are scum.

Last summer I was scammed out of $2000 buy a guy "selling" me an Aristides 070. He ended up sending me a rock and I had no way to get my money back (I won't go into details) but I had to sell my baby Music man JPXI7 to recover the loss and I ended up with 0 guitars instead of 2.

I really, really hope luck is on your side and you get your guitars back!