Stock Reaper plugins...still kick ass!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by WarMachine, Dec 2, 2018.

1. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

So last night, i decided out of boredom lol to see if swapping out my waves, fab filter etc plugins for mixing and mastering with the free stock reaper plugins would yield the same results. And they definitely did! I blame part of it on my not really knowing how to make things work at the time to get the best sounds out of the ReaPlugins, and since i've gotten better over the years and understand more of what works i am very pleasantly surprised in how my mix turned out. The only stock plugins i didn't use for this mix were they synths (korg M1), perfect drums, PULSE IR, BOD, TS-999 and GGate. But all of those are understandable as they are instrument/amp VST's anyways. All EQ's, Compressors and Limiter are all stock ReaPlugins. Check this out, it's a mix for a Castlevania fan game i'm working on:

https://soundcloud.com/user-398552247/grants-theme-stock-plugins

DudeManBrother and Bentaycanada like this.
  2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I have still not purchased any third party plugins because of how usable I’ve found the Reaper stuff to be. They certainly aren’t pretty like the Waves stuff, but the low CPU hit and high quality effectiveness is a great trade off.

lewis likes this.
  3. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

The muli-band compressor in Reaper is a seriously good plugin. Haven't found a paid-for one that's better enough to justify paying for it.

lewis likes this.
  4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

The Reaper stuff really is pretty good - not a lot of color to it, but very transparent and very effective. I still use ReaEQ and ReaComp a ton when I want transparent processing, and I haven't really felt the need to look to anything else other than ReaDelay for echo.

About the one exception is reverb, and while I've been able to use ReaVerb to load 3rd party impulses reasonably well, the stock impulses and ReaVerberate never sounded very good to me.

Initially, my making a conscious choice to rely on free/cheap plugins rather than pirating was a combination of ethics and finances, but increasingly I'm at a point where I can go out and spend a couple hundred bucks on a plugin if it does what I want and not worry about it much, and I still find myself relying on the Reaper stuff, a few Sonimus plugins, and a couple Waves plugins I got heavily on sale for basically everything, just because they're really that good.

5. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

I just use the slate everything bundle. Its $15 a month, and if you were to buy all of their plugins, it would be over $1000. So its a pretty solid deal.

6. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I was looking at that, but something about a subscription model for plugins makes me irrationally angry. Same with iLok. If I wanna use my stuff on a laptop with two USB ports and I need an external HDD, I have to have a powered hub and hope that either my interface or my HDD doesn't have any issues.
    Reaper plugins do exactly what they say they're going to with little to no color added, which I like a lot.

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Man. Virtual iLok isn't so bad, but anything that requires an iLok dongle can fuck right off. I refuse to buy anything with this kind of copyright protection because it's such a pain in the ass.

I think it's important to have color options while you're mixing (and my new favorite plugin of the moment is the Sonimus Burnley73 for exactly that reason), but this is exactly why I still use the Reaper plugins as much as I do. They're very transparent, and very efficient.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  8. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I find the biggest roadblock to using reaper's built in stuff is the lack of a "nice" ui, and trying to find the right thing for the job. But once you find it, I've rarely felt a need to look elsewhere.

buriedoutback likes this.
  9. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Didn't even know virtual iLok was a thing.

Oh definitely, I like them for when I'm stacking stuff or running it parallel (like compressors) where I'll use ReaPlugs on the actual tracks, then a bus with something more colorful or vice versa.

10. alessandroarzilli

alessandroarzilli SS.org Regular

Absolutely! After years of mixing with other software, I'm now completely using Reaper and its plugins. I find ReaGate and ReaXComp very useful and easy to use with their presets!