Steve vai 30 hour workout

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by richard95, Feb 19, 2012.

1. richard95

richard95 New Member

does anyone know where i can find the whole thing every thing i have found is either just a section of the workout or a forum about the workout ive been told it is about 90 pages long and i can only find a pdf version with about 8 pages :(

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery.

Who is saying it's 90 pages? The original 10 hour and the revised 30 hour workouts were both printed in regular Guitar World issues.

There was a special edition issue which focused on Vai, Satch, Yngwie, and Petrucci which was full of lessons from both, including the 30 hour workout, perhaps that's what they were thinking?

3. Louis Cypher

Louis Cypher SS.org Regular

Max is right, there were a couple of GW issues over the years that are dedicated to Vai's work outs.
    Oct 2007 issue or the original Jan 1990 are probably the main ones to look for:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. dan0151

dan0151 SS.org Regular

5. BadBovineNickel

BadBovineNickel SS.org Regular

Anyone actually do this??

6. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

I kept meaning to do the 10 hour workout, but just don't have the patience or dedication these days (plus any time I get off work is normally spend recovering from work!).

I think the main part for me is actually having the material/plans for the harmonic sections- I tend to spend any practice time just brushing up techniques- picking, co-ordination, sweeps etc.

Though, having typed the above, maybe I should schedule some time for it!

7. AxeHappy

AxeHappy SS.org Regular

I have the Guitar World with the workout in it and it is exactly as presented in the link by Cyril V.

I have stolen many of the exercises but I have never done the 30 hour workout as presented. If I had 10 hours of free time a day to play guitar...

8. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

Pretty much all of my warmup/workout exercises currently come from Petrucci's Rock Discipline. It just works for me.

But I printed out all the Alien Guitar Secrets lessons from Vai.com years ago and have a look at these from time to time- great for more focus on specific things.

I might get the private lessons book anyway- another music tuition book to skim through and cherry pick from!

I guess we're all different though and some things work for some people better than other things..

9. clouds

clouds SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

10. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

There's a shot of Satch from the San Francisco DVD where looks the spitting image of Dr Evil.

11. JP Universe

JP Universe Giggity

Green dot on magazine cover :wub: