Stereo guitar videos on Instagram

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by eayottes, Oct 17, 2018.

1. eayottes

eayottes SS.org Regular

I see a lot of guitarists post videos in stereo on Instagram since spring of 2018. However, I've recently learned that IG videos posted on iOS devices are converted to compressed mono, which sounds like crap.

Have any of you encountered this problem, if so, did you resort to buying a cheap Android device (compatible with the latest Android OS) to post in stereo or did you find another solution ? I've tested android emulation and apps but they all end up with the same problem (mono crap).

Thanks in advance for your help

2. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Whether it’s worth getting a separate mobile phone for posting stereo videos to Instagram is something only you can decide.

The larger point IMO is that nobody gives a shit. Instagram isn’t a serious audio/video platform. People are listening through their mobile phone speakers, which sound like shit no matter what. And they probably only watch a few seconds anyway. I doubt that your subscribers would notice or care.

Hell, there are pop videos on YouTube with millions of views which are also in mono.

So personally, I wouldn’t devote a single second to worrying about this.

XPT707FX, Dineley and I play music like this.
  3. eayottes

eayottes SS.org Regular

I can get a cheap phone for 20$, so I'll do that just to test it. Mobile speakers and IG audio do sound like shit, nobody argues with that, my point was that some people figured out how to make their IG videos sound like less shit than others (compared on a given mobile device). I'm simply trying to figure out how they do that.

4. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Why don’t you ask the people who managed to figure it out? Can’t you respond to their posts?

5. eayottes

eayottes SS.org Regular

I've asked to some guitarists on IG (and others have done so as well) and so far there have been very few responses except "I use and Android phone and it works great", "you need to be wary that IG does mono-summing on stereo tracks" and "iOS seems to be part of the problem".

The following answer from a music producer can give you a feel for the community (or not):

"I know a fellow Producer that uploads from his computer also and his sound quality for his videos are amazing and well balanced.

But he doesn't want to tell me his trick as he's a very arrogant person and he sees me as competition. (I have more followers than he does)".

*eyeroll*

On forums, I found advice like "the setting that works best for me is Stereo 44.1k 16bit peaking at -4dBFS", which I tested and which didn't resolve the issue.

Some have speculated that "If you upload from iOS it is converted as follows:

640 x 640px H264 codec 30fps
    audio 44.1 AAC MONO."

Some have also suggested video rendering settings:

"AAC
    44.1 kHz
    Stereo
    High Quality
    320 kbps";

"use 30 fps".

Some have also suggested using "mono monitoring" via UAD audio interfaces to preview the effects of mono summing.

I've tried all the advice I found (I don't own a UAD interface) and I have yet to find a clear and definitive answer (i.e. the problem persists on my end).

Since social media is integral to the business of many musicians, guitarists included, I decided to ask the question here.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

Iphones only have one speaker, so it makes sense they convert the video to mono. Not sure about Android. I didnt knew that until now when I checked one video. I never use headphones on my phone so theres that. My video was exported from my computer into my phone, still stereo on my phone, and uplaod into instagram with no filter or editing, triming, anything. Dont think theres a way around on an iphone as theres no other setting you can change/modify

see if you can upload from your computer?

eayottes likes this.
  7. eayottes

eayottes SS.org Regular

Thanks for the tips. I tested on a friend's Android phone and the audio quality of the upload was way better (Android OS Oreo). I'll buy a used Android phone for ~20$ instead of fiddling around for hours with mastering/video settings. Moreover, a few articles and YouTube videos have popped up saying IG now supports stereo on Android. I have no clue if that claim is true, but it certainly sounds better than iOS IG uploads.

PS: I tested uploading from both PC and Mac and the results were not great (with Flume, Uplet and other software).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  8. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

man I wish I could find Android phones for $20 but yeah hope it works out well for you.

9. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Wow, didn't know this. Glad I'm on Android but this is a huge FYI to all iOS-using Instagram musicians

10. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

They don't, actually. Since the iPhone 7, they use the phone "earpiece" as a second speaker to "technically" give stereo audio....which other phones have also been adopting. It actually gives a better stereo split than if the phone had stereo speakers just an inch or two apart on the same bottom edge of the phone....but the "earpiece" speaker doesn't do as well with low's, so it's sort of a stereo l/r split combined with a 'woofer/tweeter' type split.

11. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

thats pretty cool

12. eayottes

eayottes SS.org Regular

Update: for those who care (i.e. excluding the guy who absolutely wanted to write a long post saying we shouldn't care about this ;)), I confirm that there's no mono summing trickery going on on my 20$ Android phone.

The sample of Android users I know all have Android OS Oreo or later, and they all work fine.